Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Failure to engage player through story

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Failure to engage player through story

morganlion
12.14.2011 , 04:01 PM | #21
Look if you dont like the story you are playing then stop and reroll, find somethin you like. This game has choices and options, and iam sure the what ever you do will have a way of coming back to you later in the game good or bad from the choices you made. That being said, its a MMO with story content givin to you, my suggestion is build your own story. The devs have made a effort to make it player friendly and epic if you asking me why we cant do insane crazy omg crap at level 10 g i dont know becuase the game would get way to trivial by 25 so they are story pacing.

yomanaaiton
12.14.2011 , 04:03 PM | #22
Some stories are better than others.

Bioware really dropped the ball overall. Sad.

EchoTwoOmega
12.14.2011 , 04:06 PM | #23
I am playing through the Jedi Knight arc and enjoying it immensely.
I also played a bit of the Imperial Agent during one of the beta events and quit because I didnt want to ruin it when the game went live.....

I just killed my jedi to roll my IA

back to the game !
Squadron 367

PlagaNerezza
12.14.2011 , 04:06 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Smoda View Post
*Reposting this here because it is impossible to have a discussion in general chat at the momemnt*

I just reached level 16 as a Trooper and was given my starship. Zero fanfare or sense of achievement. Just a nonchalant "Hey take this thing". Minutes earlier I sat through line after line of boring voice over for glorified kill quests spread throughout an unnecessarily massive area of lower Coruscant. This all got me thinking about the main feature of this "story" driven MMO.

Is the trooper class quest more boring than the others? Is every class this way? Does a Jedi defeat a Sith Lord only for the quest giver to say "Yea that was cool, go do it again on the next planet". I thought the class stories were supposed to make this game unique and interesting. At this rate the class quests are like every other quest in the game, except they don't end. I would roll another character in a heartbeat if I were told that his mindless dribble doesn't extend to every other class story.
99% of the quests stories are lame and if you want to "level" and "enjoy" the story you have a paradox. Lightside points or darkside points?

Crap. Gotta work to level cap... guess I am answering c.) here. Whoops. That made my companion mad. Escape key, restart conversation.

I want a mod to just answer the questions to give me max darkside and max companion points. I don't need to click when you've already told me by design not to choose certain options if I want to optimize.
"At last we will have our revenge" -Darth Maul
▄▄▄▄▄▄▼▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

BrimstoneAshe
12.14.2011 , 04:22 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Smoda View Post
It is a reasonable quest to go on but you are still doing the typical MMO thing the entire time. I don't know what I was expecting but I might have set the bar too high. Our class quests are kill and gather quests like everything else. I don't even know what I would suggest as an alternative, I left that up to the game developers.
Yea, I hate to say it but you are correct in your assumptions. The voice acted quests you get in the game are just a veneer of what you've experienced in other MMOs. Kills, fetch, deliver, etc.

The alternative, IMO, as I had suggested during BETA was to mix up the 'cycle'. Right now your cycle is talk to an NPC, go through the dialogue, take the quest, run or speeder to the area and do the quest, and bring it back for more dialogue. Now where I will give them credit is they did a great job of laying out the storyline quests and side quests in a fashion for a player to do them both in the same area knocking out several quests in one cycle.

But what they could have done is changed up that cycle in a way that makes you feel like you're doing something different. Granted, it's merely an illusion, but at the end of the day the developers are limited in how they can allow you to interact with the world they created: Keyboard and mouse.

So what would be the alternative? Well let's say you're Empire and you've been given a quests to go smack down the Republic backed natives outside your base. So that means talk to NPC, get quest and hoof it out on your feet or on your speeder to Spot A and kill the bad guys. Why not put you up in air ship or one of those big AT walkers and let you blast things on your way to Spot A? Maybe get "air dropped" behind the enemy lines to take out those "sensor/radar array" at Spot B? And on your way to Spot B, make the ride a bumpy one with flak hitting the ship and ground targets you can shoot at? Again, you're still ultimately doing the same thing... using a mouse and keyboard to target things and press an ability.... the illusion comes with that ability being something with a light saber or a cannon.... but it does help keep things from feeling like a "cycle".

PS: I'm not saying I don't enjoy the game, I do. I love the storylines, but I'm also very aware of the veneer of the dialogue.
I'm about to take over the galaxy, so if you want to be on the good side of my dark side, you better start kissing my back side.

morganlion
12.14.2011 , 04:26 PM | #26
See this is what i dont understand with ppl, you knew there were going to be lightside and darkside points. Some companions will tolerate you shooting someone in the face to grab darkside points others will be mad cuz you shot someone in cold blood. How is this a problem? find out what companion will work with what you want to do. For the comment i just want max darkside and max level dude its like day 2 if you didnt play beta. Dont worrie about max level at this point find out what you enjoy then roll with it and figure it out.
Wish they had made lightside/darkside choices hidden that way when you picked something you really didnt know if you picked light/dark till the outcome of the conversation was over.

PlagaNerezza
12.14.2011 , 04:29 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by BrimstoneAshe View Post
Yea, I hate to say it but you are correct in your assumptions. The voice acted quests you get in the game are just a veneer of what you've experienced in other MMOs. Kills, fetch, deliver, etc.

The alternative, IMO, as I had suggested during BETA was to mix up the 'cycle'. Right now your cycle is talk to an NPC, go through the dialogue, take the quest, run or speeder to the area and do the quest, and bring it back for more dialogue. Now where I will give them credit is they did a great job of laying out the storyline quests and side quests in a fashion for a player to do them both in the same area knocking out several quests in one cycle.

But what they could have done is changed up that cycle in a way that makes you feel like you're doing something different. Granted, it's merely an illusion, but at the end of the day the developers are limited in how they can allow you to interact with the world they created: Keyboard and mouse.

So what would be the alternative? Well let's say you're Empire and you've been given a quests to go smack down the Republic backed natives outside your base. So that means talk to NPC, get quest and hoof it out on your feet or on your speeder to Spot A and kill the bad guys. Why not put you up in air ship or one of those big AT walkers and let you blast things on your way to Spot A? Maybe get "air dropped" behind the enemy lines to take out those "sensor/radar array" at Spot B? And on your way to Spot B, make the ride a bumpy one with flak hitting the ship and ground targets you can shoot at? Again, you're still ultimately doing the same thing... using a mouse and keyboard to target things and press an ability.... the illusion comes with that ability being something with a light saber or a cannon.... but it does help keep things from feeling like a "cycle".

PS: I'm not saying I don't enjoy the game, I do. I love the storylines, but I'm also very aware of the veneer of the dialogue.
Class quest = important. Heroics = descent loot better story. Flashpoints = descent loot developed story. PvP = eh story, loot.

Regular quests.....

No idea what the point is. The Experience is eh. The story is eh. The options to effect outcome are eh... point is they aren't very fun except you might want to do them to access a heroic quest you might not play....

I'd just do flash points, pvp, heroics and class quests personally. I saw little reason to do some of the other quests. Loot was not worth it. better doing flashpoints.

PlagaNerezza
12.14.2011 , 04:36 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by morganlion View Post
See this is what i dont understand with ppl, you knew there were going to be lightside and darkside points. Some companions will tolerate you shooting someone in the face to grab darkside points others will be mad cuz you shot someone in cold blood. How is this a problem? find out what companion will work with what you want to do. For the comment i just want max darkside and max level dude its like day 2 if you didnt play beta. Dont worrie about max level at this point find out what you enjoy then roll with it and figure it out.
Wish they had made lightside/darkside choices hidden that way when you picked something you really didnt know if you picked light/dark till the outcome of the conversation was over.
It is an illusion of choice. You eventually will level dark or light side. The story options matter so little. The loot rewards are indistinquishable.

You clearly didn't play it enough. I had about all I could take of the illusion by level 20. I was a regular tester invited prior to weekend tester. About 11/1. Level to 10 quiet a few different characters.

Maybe hiding the outcomes on points would "help" but in all honesty its just more illusion of choice. You know cut his head off is probably the darkside choice.

Most options are insignificant. I didn't feel any sense of "individual" story in the quests. Even when selecting wierd stuff in class.

cunctatorg
12.14.2011 , 04:48 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by FlashbackJon View Post
If you're shopping for a new one, the general consensus from the beta seemed to be that Imperial Agent was by far the best.
That is to be expected for Alexander Freed, the very writer of SW:TOR;BotE is the writer of this Class' storyline;
however this isn't any sort of excuse for the allegedly shallow and boring (according Smoda's first personal impressions of course) Trooper's storyline...

Smoda's appraisal (under the condition that it is justified) ignites some concerns of mine regarding ... some correlation of the Trooper's handling with some shortsighted target marketing from the part of BioWare: that is did they create the Trooper Class just for the naive and trigger happy MMORPG-PvPers, some so-to-speak blockheads?
It's a possibility but Pemmin's remark suggests something quite different ... and I hope that BioWare realized that the Trooper's storyline has to counter the relatively lacking magic of a well-known traditional/conventional Class/Character embed into the SW Galaxy...

From my point of view the creation of the storyline of the non-Force-User Class of Troopers should be a great challenge, their "disadvantage"/handicap being a great opportunity for an extremely impressive storyline: a Republic Trooper defending a Republic in turmoil against an Empire lead by Force Adepts who follow the Dark Side!... What a plethora of horrible concerns and dilemmas, what an avalanche of temptations and opportunities for the best or the worst!!

Well, I do trust (in) BioWare; after all Carth Onasi had been a convincing Trooper for starters!...
However the temptation to write down a shallow storyline aiming at the blockheads and Trigger Happy PvPers is also great...

What about the Bounty Hunter's story?

BrimstoneAshe
12.14.2011 , 04:51 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by PlagaNerezza View Post
I saw little reason to do some of the other quests. Loot was not worth it. better doing flashpoints.
Well the side quests:

1> Often give accommodation badges which can provide some decent loot.
2> If you pick the side quests up at the right time, they're taking you to the same spot your storyline quest is so it's extra loot/credits/xp for "since you're heading that way." But you can certainly chose not to waste your time on them.
3> Just doing the storyline isn't going to be enough XP to level you. You're choosing to fill the gap with Flashpoints and PvP. Nothing wrong with that. The side quests are a good option for me. I myself found PVP rather 'meh' in the game and have little interest in it(which is admittedly a disappointment for me because I've always been active in PVP in other MMOs). The first flashpoints(Esseles and Black Talon) are front loaded with content to impress new players. Hammer Station and Athis don't have much story inside them. I'd rather do the "while you're on your way to your storyline quest" side quests than sitting at the fleet spamming LFG. To each their own.

Have fun.
I'm about to take over the galaxy, so if you want to be on the good side of my dark side, you better start kissing my back side.