sawbones scoundrel PvP: how does it stack up?

nvmvoidrays

i know they're not as good as sages, per say, but how do they stack up? my sawbones is only 13, atm, so my PvP experience has been pretty god damn ******, but that's because i have no HoTs, no EMP, etc.

my level 38 sage is pretty fun to play in PvP.

how does a sawbones scoundrel stack up? i've tried to find a PvP video, but... yeah, nearly no one wants to watch healer PvP videos. i've noted sawbones are likened to restoration druids from WoW, so...

basically, i just want experiences from high-level sawbones.

also, does EMP basically replace kolto pack when you get it?

low survivability, clunky mechanics, very limited cc, very limited get out of jail cards, poor counter to burst dmg (which is all what pvp is about atm)

Not really a productive post, but i have 550ish expertise, all spent in healing gear and im kinda unsatisfied with the performance of all the different speccs. (31/x/x, 25/16/0, 25/3/13)

Do the 5/31/5 build, and you will heal ur 1-2 queueing friends almost the same as you would with a full sawbones tree. At the same time still being able to smack around people alot better.

The good part is that alacrity could arguably be better than accuracy, which makes my healing gear not that crappy now when im playing the class it should be.

I am not sure what to think of being a sawbones in PvP, i went very deep into the tree stopped only 2 tiers from full tree, and then went a little into the other 2 specs (like 8 and 9 points rest all in sawbones)...

in huttball we are useful for throwing 2 hots onto the ball carrier, and also just throw a hot on EVERYONE, but our heal sucks.. 2 second cast with alacrity (which sucks atm and scales HORRIBLY compared to most stats) i can't even keep myself healed pretty much if someone sees me using that heal they instant interrupt it and well we are screwed then unless we have a upperhand buff on us to use our 2nd heal, or if you specced into it the insta heal we get WAY into the tree.

I have seen scoundrels break 200k healing but i DO NOT know how, i have rarely broken 150k healing and normally i barely get 100k and that is being 70% healing 30%dps by throwing dots on all enemies and then hotting everyone friendly and then just using backblast on any low hp targets while watching everyone's health to throw a insta heal or long cast heal on them.

Now one thing i find funny as HECK if a tank shields me, and i get low on hp (below 30%) the insta heal if specced right can not only insta heal me using a upperhand, but it can then grant right away ANOTHER upperhand because i am below 30% health, so often i run aorund in circles healing myself over and over and over while everyone else picks off the guys, they want me deal being the healer, but can't figure out why they arn't killing me! *rofl* that is about the best use i have found in combat.

The huge difference between sage/commando healing ability and scoundrels, honestly i may respec soon to be 70% dps and not 70% healing.. because honestly for PvE healing our skills are fine, but PvP it is a joke damage just goes too fsat, if you see someone at 30% health and you can't insta heal em with upperhand.. just ignore em your main heal takes too long to cast :(

also, does EMP basically replace kolto pack when you get it?

whoops forgot to answer this, the answer is yes honestly i normally use that one instead of the kolto pack, both take upperhand but the ability to insta cast is priceless..

Im normally top healer when I pvp, although there's normally only 1! I generally beat sages but they have on occasion beaten me (rarely see commando healers tbh). I'm fully Sawbones (with diagnostic scan stuff that I rarely use unless I blow all my energy).

Top heals so far is probably around 450-470k generally on a voidstar but I have managed to get around 400k on huttball. Sometimes I will only do ~100k healing, still be top, and we will win comfortably, it really depends on the match.

EMP is a joy to use, I have kept people alive at about 10-15% for upwards of 20seconds before which must be terribly frustrating for the 2-3 enemies that are hitting them. Plus when you've been spamming EMP to keep low people up you generally will have full energy so you can throw out a kolto cloud on the pack or will have full energy to throw out an UWM to start recovering them.

EMP on yourself is also always a laugh, running around circles by one of the east/west turrets getting out of LOS by running down the stairs, around the edge and back up again.

Keeping track of SRMP in PvP can be a bit of a nightmare, so I generally just throw it around liberally to keep it up. Try and use up your 2nd UH asap on an EMP to top people up as it could proc again at anytime.

Use triage regularly if specced, especially if the person has lots of debuffs! It seems to have 2 heal components (I guess a heal component for each of the debuffs it is supposed to clear). Dunno if thats a bug or not!

Use your shield and dodge often, they are on quite a short cooldown. Flashbangs and dirty kicks help your survival, and try and interrupt the enemy healer too :D

The fact that you can keep HOTing and EMPing whilst you move, people cant see you casting heals so I often can do it with impunity. THat and running around like a headless chicken seems to keep most people off me.

Your biggest challenge in warfronts will still be the imput lag. You can work around it, but its more of a learning curve then just dps, might explain why there are so few healers in warfronts.

Still if you can master it, quickest way to getting all those mvp points. :p

If you are not beating, or nearly beating, Sages & others for top healing in WZ's (of equal level), then you are not playing your class to the fullest.

Granted, you really bloom as a Sawbones smuggler once you reach lvl 40 and can get Kolto cloud, but still.

Low survivability? Hardly. A gank squad will always take you down, but between Dodge, Defensive Screen, Disappearing Act, and the ability to heal, you are far from fragile.

Add on that we have good damage and stun tricks when we need them.

I have enjoyed it, and it gets better with more gear... but really, what class doesn't?

And please don't listen to the fools saying they only use instant casts. If you have time to cast (and why wouldn't you because you have stealth,) cast an UWM. SRM everyone up. Watch the upper hand roll in. Use EMP for... wait for it... wait for it... emergencies. Durp. Who would have guessed that?

Priority looks something like this:

If target is full, or close to full - SRM

If target is around 50% but not being focused - UWM

If target is lower than 50% but not being focused - Kolto pack

If target is below 30% - EMP until above 30%

If the target is being focused UWM > Kolto pack > UWM > Kolto etc, is your most efficient heal as far as total healing. When you don't have time UWM > EMP >UWM rotation is you most energy effective rotation.

If UWM gets locked, Kolto Pack, if it also gets locked EMP

Obviously, there are no pvp rotations, but only using instants will produce substandard results.

As someone else stated, if you are being focused, popping Defensive Screen (spec'ed for the extra healing) below 30% > dodge > flash grenade, pillar humping, spamming EMP, while five enemy players try to kill you is always good for a cheap laugh. I took cybertech so the cryo grenades are an extra /slapintheface too. Granted, once your cooldowns are gone you are dead just like anyone else, but... I would be rather surprised if this sort of thing doesn't get nerfed in 3 or 4 months.

Edited by JonnySiniwali

Im normally top healer when I pvp, although there's normally only 1! I generally beat sages but they have on occasion beaten me (rarely see commando healers tbh). I'm fully Sawbones (with diagnostic scan stuff that I rarely use unless I blow all my energy).

Top heals so far is probably around 450-470k generally on a voidstar but I have managed to get around 400k on huttball. Sometimes I will only do ~100k healing, still be top, and we will win comfortably, it really depends on the match.

hmm any chance of seeing your spec??? i didn't take the last 3 items in the sawbone specs so i don't have the 10/20/30% crit increase of the aoe heal.. i wonder if those alone make that HUGE of a difference.....

yeah i guess what you say about the healing depending on the match is right, normally if i am the only healer i easily break 100k but it seems like healers are a dime a dozen on my server, with tons of commando healers and sage healers... That may be why i think my class kinda sucks are healing..

This is the current spec i have, though i am looking to respec soon, and get out of patient studies, survivor scars, and also open wound (because it just adds 3 seconds it does not add damage it just makes it tick sloweR!?!! ***).. and maybe get a couple points into accomplished sawbones, just depends... i am also a little tempted to back off of healing just because it seems like i ONLY use emp and the hot, and maybe just get the hot instead.. dunno i do enjoy being a healer for Pve but PvP, if they see me casting underworld medicine i just get interrupted, and blocked and then gang banged :)

http://www.ign.com/builds/star-wars-the-old-republic?class=scoundrel&d=000021113

hmm any chance of seeing your spec??? i didn't take the last 3 items in the sawbone specs so i don't have the 10/20/30% crit increase of the aoe heal.. i wonder if those alone make that HUGE of a difference.....

They won't make a huge difference if you can't pull decent numbers already. My 31 Scoundrel alt can push 120k+ healing in a VS game, no problems at all.

I like it, it's tough dealing with the ability delay I'll tell you that, but usually I average 240-270k healing, I've only broke 300k once. It's decent for medals here's the ones I usually get:

2.5k heal

75k healing

2.5 damage

1k defenders

3k defenders

Solo kill

Killing blow

Sometimes I get:

75k damage

5k heal

So I play as a full specced healer but I always open up from stealth with my crit relic with shoot first on a clothie. Then I make sure to toss grenades around and stun a bunch of people.

Some tips:

SRMP your main tank right out of the spawn (highest health commando usually or vanguard) then hot everybody, in pvp people don't focus well they swap targets fast so just tossing that out and kolto cloud should bring you to 200k healing, When someone is being focused I just make sure they're hotted up and the UWM spam them, always keep one upper hand up and use the second to cast emergency med pack. Don't let other players sit with low health after a battle, heal them up. Gets you more medals and protects from ambush ops. Say hello to MVP votes.

They won't make a huge difference if you can't pull decent numbers already. My 31 Scoundrel alt can push 120k+ healing in a VS game, no problems at all.

I was just wonder if they went all the way in sawbones, i have heard that accomplished sawbones is kinda our bread and butter for healing.. that without that 30% crit buff you never really reach max healing potential...

I would say that Sawbones healing comes down to just "keeping people alive for abit longer" in pvp. Which is well.. what most healers are supposed to do.

But what I mean is that I can stand and just spam out EMP on a single target and keep that one alive, bouncing betweeen holy-crap and 30-40% health while that one is being nuked. Which can become quite useful when defending a point or such, giving time for reinforcements.

Another thing is your movability, in a large fight, say Voidstar at the doors or something like that. You can benefit greatly from moving around, back and forth instead of standing still and just casting. The thing is that you become harder to see, even when you stop to heal, you don't have a huge flashy effect of your heal, just that small green thing. And EMP is pretty damn hard to spot.

I am one of these crazy people who run around with a 31/3/7 spec, and I find Kolto Cloud to be pretty damn awesome in places like Voidstar, defending a turret on Civil War for example, when people are grouped up. Sure you can throw out SRM's on people but that's let's say, four global cooldowns, and 60 energy in total (Though you will regen enough of course, not drop to 40% instantly). Instead you can get Kolto Cloud out for 40 energy on one global cooldown and then go back to your normal healing, and even throw out those SRM's.

Stealth is actually a quite nifty tool to have and you should really consider using it in PvP, since you can go off and ninja a turret/door with another stealther or even someone without stealth. And pop out of nowhere, even out of sight and keep the other guy alive without being spotted that easily.

Something you -really- want to do is to go into your preferences > User Interface > Scroll down to the bottom and increase the size of the health width and height on the operations frames, it will make seeing people's health -a lot- easier.

I can agree that Sawbones do need a bit of tweaking here and there but not quite as bad as some people say. I got about 400 expertise and I quite regulary hit over 300k healing in a warzone, depending on how long it lasts of course. Not as much in huttball though. And just for the epeen record, I think my top healing in a warzone was 462k :3

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#701MsfrkGoRdsZ0cZG.1

The points in Diagnostic scan are pretty worthless for PVP. Those 3 points in Accomplished Sawbones increase your UWM and Kolto Pack as well not just the AOE?

Without having a healing meter to look at I'd imagine most of my PVP healing comes from SRMP, EMP, Kolto Cloud then UWM.

Edited by OldBehn

EMP is a joy to use, I have kept people alive at about 10-15% for upwards of 20seconds before which must be terribly frustrating for the 2-3 enemies that are hitting them. Plus when you've been spamming EMP to keep low people up you generally will have full energy so you can throw out a kolto cloud on the pack or will have full energy to throw out an UWM to start recovering them.

EMP on yourself is also always a laugh, running around circles by one of the east/west turrets getting out of LOS by running down the stairs, around the edge and back up again.

Keeping track of SRMP in PvP can be a bit of a nightmare, so I generally just throw it around liberally to keep it up. Try and use up your 2nd UH asap on an EMP to top people up as it could proc again at anytime.

Use triage regularly if specced, especially if the person has lots of debuffs! It seems to have 2 heal components (I guess a heal component for each of the debuffs it is supposed to clear). Dunno if thats a bug or not!

Use your shield and dodge often, they are on quite a short cooldown. Flashbangs and dirty kicks help your survival, and try and interrupt the enemy healer too :D

The fact that you can keep HOTing and EMPing whilst you move, people cant see you casting heals so I often can do it with impunity. THat and running around like a headless chicken seems to keep most people off me.

I can confirm this, I can do up to 450k healing (personal record so far) if I am not heavy focused and do not die too much, and people in group actually do take some serious damage.

I had a lot of problems with healing, before I realized, that keeping at least 1 upper hand and pugnacity all the time is KEY to big healing output.

I do get outperformed sometimes, but only by very good geared sages and comandos, and when I get focused more then they for example. Although my Sage friend can do 550+k healing which I cant yet (and maybe it's not possible with scoundrel), so maybe Sages are stronger healers, I don't know.

If I focus on healing myself more I average about 100-150k healing a match, groups about 300-400k if well defended.

Sometimes I just run around liek an idiot shilding up and healing and watch half the enemy team chase me as my team snags objectives.

Pretty entertaining, need to do it with benny hill music some time.

I just want to chip in i have a 35 smuggler and get 1st place and 2nd place all the time actually in the las 7 out of 13 wins i have had... i healed for 100k + each time ontop of getting kills with grenades n such we are great pvp spec and endgame best healers but what i have been wondering is when they are gonna make cunning + healing spec gear for smugglers i don't see that much pvp gear for us any suggestions ?