Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

*-* Extending Camera Distance Beyond Maximum *-*

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
*-* Extending Camera Distance Beyond Maximum *-*

Segundus
01.19.2012 , 07:27 PM | #1
I looked around in the INI files and saw the max camera distance and decided to manually change it. The result was a doubling and even tripling of the maximum camera distance. When you have it set to maximum in the UI settings, the INI file shows that as a value of 25.

So to be clear, ini value of 25 = 100% camera distance according to the UI settings. That means changing the value to 50 inside the INI file would give you a 200% max camera distance. You can manually edit that to a much higher value and get the camera to pan way back. This is excellent for PVP since you can pretty much see the whole map. The majority of WoW players do something similar to this, and it makes for a much better gaming experience.

Make sure the game is NOT open, since the file may be in use or revert back once you close the game. This is for Windows 7 and Vista users only, since Windows XP puts it in a different place. To do this you need to find this folder:
C:\Users\YourProfileName\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings

Obviously, YourProfileName is whatever your Windows profile name is, which is most likely your name or your pet name for your manhood. Whatever, I am not here to judge you on your Windows user name.

The AppData folder is hidden since it's a system folder, so you can either manually type that folder address into your RUN command line or change your Windows Explorer settings to show hidden folders.

Then find the file named: LoginName_Account.ini and open it.

For example, if your login name is DarthBumpkin then the file will be DarthBumpkin_Account.ini.

After opening the file look for the line that says: Controls_CameraMaxDistance = 25.0

Change that 25.0 to something else like 50.0 or even 75.0. Make sure to keep it as decimal number (ie Don't take the .0 off at the end, because I'm sure the game is looking for it. I don't want to be responsible for game clients crashing.)

Then SAVE the file and CLOSE it. Then start up the game, log in, and enjoy a much more expansive SWTOR gaming experience!

- Segundus -
- Helm of Graush -

PS: If you reply with questions to this post, please don't put your LoginName if you post your folder link. That would just give hackers an easier chance in getting your account information and, again, I don't want to be responsible for screwing up your game.

Jedi Consular: "Wow, there's useless, then there's you people."
Jar Jar Binks: "Watsa yousa mean 'YOU PEOPLE'?!"

Segundus
01.19.2012 , 07:55 PM | #2
I was able to call out incoming enemies so much easier on the Alderaan WZ which helped us win the game. PVPers really need to try this!

Moshpup
01.19.2012 , 08:13 PM | #3
it doesnt look like i have an appdata file, is there somewhere else it might be? running windows 7 64bit

Therats
01.19.2012 , 08:18 PM | #4
I can confirm that this works, good find +1

justcallmetarzan
01.19.2012 , 08:19 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Moshpup View Post
it doesnt look like i have an appdata file, is there somewhere else it might be? running windows 7 64bit
Go to Organize => Folder and Search Options => View Tab => Show hidden files, folders, drives radio button.

Or just type \AppData in the address bar after your profile folder name.

Or if you're REALLY lazy, press WinKey+R (or start/run) and type "shell:local appdata" .

Moshpup
01.19.2012 , 08:20 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by justcallmetarzan View Post
Go to Organize => Folder and Search Options => View Tab => Show hidden files, folders, drives radio button.

Or if you're REALLY lazy, press WinKey+R (or start/run) and type "shell:appdata" .
thanks for the help!

Segundus
01.19.2012 , 08:25 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by justcallmetarzan View Post

Or if you're REALLY lazy, press WinKey+R (or start/run) and type "shell:local appdata" .
I never knew that last part with the shell:local! NICE! Learn something new everyday. Thanks!

Knifewrench
01.19.2012 , 09:18 PM | #8
This an excellent find. Now if only they'll put in a setting we can change for zooming out if the camera clips with a wall... so sick of having to mousewheel because Lakitu is crawling back.
War Hero with a bounty on him by his own faction. Aren't I popular.

TetraCleric
01.19.2012 , 09:38 PM | #9
nvm10char

Tservo
01.19.2012 , 09:52 PM | #10
thanks~