Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please add a looking for group function

Stealysteve
01.19.2012 , 06:23 PM | #1
The title says it all, please add a looking for group function like World of Warcraft. WoW did it right and it only took a few minutes to find a group which made grouping very fun and quick. Right now I spend a solid 30 minutes just wandering in a town looking for someone to help, the constant whispering is also very daunting. The current system (without the LFG function) has actually pushed me away from doing group quests because whats the point of wasting 30 minutes just to get a terrible group together? Please add an LFG function for the of God, i mean, the force!

tXHereticXt
01.19.2012 , 06:26 PM | #2
There is one. Just not many people use it for whatever reason.

Skann
01.19.2012 , 06:35 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by tXHereticXt View Post
No, there isn't. There is a gimmick one that doesn't do what a LFG tool should do.

If you enjoy PVP you click 2 buttons and the server takes over. Once there is enough people for a match, you are ported to the "PVP instance", play your game and, upon finish, are ported back to wherever you were. Simple, effective and easy.

People who enjoy PVE should have the same system available and not have to go thru loops and hassles to put a group together, walk until the instance, play the game, and walk back to where he/she were. That doesn't add to the game, on the contrary, it diminishes it.

The game needs a cross-server LFG tool sooner rather than later.

GruntNaka
01.19.2012 , 06:42 PM | #4
I actually think if SWTOR had a more viable LFG tool, the large amount of Heroic area / FP / H FP content that is just skipped / ignored would see remarkable increase of usage.

As of right now, finding a PUG to do anything on the republic side of the pvp server I'm on is disheartening to say the least.

There is some really great game content already designed and implemented that just is I strongly suspect is being remarkably underused.

Groups activity is usually a core to MMOs. I don't understand why SWTOR didn't implement a better feature to facility.

Something as simple as autojoing a channel LFG when you flag yourself that would be server wide would be a HUGE step forward.

hint hint.
/cjoin LFG already works.
make /cjoin LFG automatic if you flag yourself BW/EA.

Come up with something grander later and more encompassing later.
Give us at least basic functionality NOW.

singore
01.19.2012 , 06:56 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by tXHereticXt View Post
You mean that horrible social interface that doesn't give you a list of everyone on every planet that's LFG, without you performing multiple searches (Or hoping to get lucky with the simple "LFG" search parameter) and even those it does show it only shows 12 characters of the LFG comment.
I do wonder why no one uses it...

As for the topic in question.
Before this becomes some sort of flame-fest, as people all seem to hate it when any form of LFD tool is mentioned, they need to think of it this way: Just because we want a LFD tool doesn't mean it has to be like WoW's. It doesn't need to be X-Realm capable nor should it allow you to instantly portal from wherever you are right into the FP. It doesn't even need to automatically make a group.
All it should be is a tool to let you select what FP's you're looking for, set your role and then see who else is also LFG.

Skann
01.19.2012 , 07:26 PM | #6
It needs to be cross-realm, otherwise you penalize people that aren't playing during the server peak time, or that plays on low-pop server. It bring community together, not apart. Promotes group content to be done.

Jerks will always exist. With a functional LFG system you simply kick the jerk off the group, or remove yourself from it and queue again. It's makes dealing with idiots so much simpler.

There is a vocal group of LFG haters that keeps the myth of servers communities alive. The argument is absurd and based out of thin air. There is only one community, the SWTOR one. A cross-server LFG will only help to bring that community together.

DarthTirion
01.19.2012 , 09:00 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by singore View Post
Before this becomes some sort of flame-fest, as people all seem to hate it when any form of LFD tool is mentioned, they need to think of it this way: Just because we want a LFD tool doesn't mean it has to be like WoW's. It doesn't need to be X-Realm capable nor should it allow you to instantly portal from wherever you are right into the FP. It doesn't even need to automatically make a group.
All it should be is a tool to let you select what FP's you're looking for, set your role and then see who else is also LFG.
I completely agree. The LFG system thats already in the game needs to be elaborated on, which Bioware said they were going to look at the longer this game is out. I personally would like to be able to list myself as a tank for so and so flashpoint instead of spamming every 20 seconds. An automated finder would not really help because you really dont need to worry about phasing to the instance since all the flashpoints except for Battle for Ilum and False Emperor are in the fleet and take 15 secs to get to. As for the WoW automated finder it has its purpose but that doesnt mean it needs to be in every MMO. Yes it does help for convince because all of WoW's instances are spread out all over its world, and some take 20 mins to get to, so that system works for them. Finally, the game is in its first month of launch, you cant expect a new game to have everything right from the get go.
Darth Atronis
<Harbinger of the Empire>
-Prophecy of the Five-

Zopps
01.19.2012 , 09:08 PM | #8
I don't want to be hyperbolic, but I feel that this will end the long term chances for TOR if they don't bring these grouping systems to the game. Finding a guild, committing to a large group of people, and use the /who function does not suffice. MMO's and just plain TECHNOLOGY have come so far since the days of /who.

Why tools like Dungeon Finder, guild finders, and other in-game systems that contribute to ease of grouping aren't standard in release MMO's baffles me. These systems are key to maintaining a large player base at level cap, since it drastically reduces the investment required to participate in grouping content.

Z to the opps.

DarthTirion
01.19.2012 , 09:37 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Zopps View Post
I don't want to be hyperbolic, but I feel that this will end the long term chances for TOR if they don't bring these grouping systems to the game. Finding a guild, committing to a large group of people, and use the /who function does not suffice. MMO's and just plain TECHNOLOGY have come so far since the days of /who.

Why tools like Dungeon Finder, guild finders, and other in-game systems that contribute to ease of grouping aren't standard in release MMO's baffles me. These systems are key to maintaining a large player base at level cap, since it drastically reduces the investment required to participate in grouping content.
All I have to say is...WoW has lasted 7 years and is the largest subscribing MMO in the world, and the automated LFG finders have only been added over the course of 2 years, starting with the last content patch of WotLK. The LFG system originally in WoW was infact gen/trade chat, and the LFG panel where you listed your name and your roll. It is not essential for these systems to be in the game at launch in order for it to succeed.
Darth Atronis
<Harbinger of the Empire>
-Prophecy of the Five-

NidesIvmorch
01.19.2012 , 09:38 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Zopps View Post

Z to the opps.
Agree 100%