Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

There will NEVER be another Star Wars movie

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
There will NEVER be another Star Wars movie

SwigMcJigger
01.19.2012 , 06:08 PM | #11
He doesn't make movies anymore anyways, he just runs his old movies through the latest version of adobe premiere and repackages them as new.
I Hutball so hard Garadda wants to fine me.

Stenrik
01.19.2012 , 06:08 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Superdude- View Post
Who needs movies when you've got got all the books?
Guess LOTR, Harry Potter, 300, and actually most of the successful scifi/fantasy films out there shouldn't have been made then.

Marshal_Ney
01.19.2012 , 06:10 PM | #13
I remeber that last year there where rumors about a possible movie based on Bobba Fett.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/joe...ave-star-wars/

But i guess they trashed this project,what a pity.
I'm not a prophet or a stone age man,Just a mortal
with the potential of a superman,I'm living on"

TheDigitalDoom
01.19.2012 , 06:12 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Tallymon View Post
George Lucas just announced he will NEVER make another Star Wars movie. More surprising was he admitted point blank that the reason he won't make another movie is because of the critics who bash him for constantly altering his original films and for failing to re-release the originals in unaltered high-definition.

The free-spirit in me feels like his creation, his choice to do whatever he wants with it. But a more conservative part of me feels like he should appreciate and even be grateful for the fact that his original films are so popular that they are like pieces of Americana, and that he should not tamper with them out of respect for the massive cult following he created and who helped propel the series to the ridiculous level of success it's at now.

It's one thing to create totally new prequels using the latest technology that perhaps doesnt suit everyone's tastes. But it's another thing to flatly refuse to make more movies simply out of spite. Is George really so vain and shallow as this latest announcement makes him appear
YES....yes he is!

Eldren
01.19.2012 , 06:12 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Tallymon View Post
George Lucas just announced he will NEVER make another Star Wars movie. More surprising was he admitted point blank that the reason he won't make another movie is because of the critics who bash him for constantly altering his original films and for failing to re-release the originals in unaltered high-definition.

The free-spirit in me feels like his creation, his choice to do whatever he wants with it. But a more conservative part of me feels like he should appreciate and even be grateful for the fact that his original films are so popular that they are like pieces of Americana, and that he should not tamper with them out of respect for the massive cult following he created and who helped propel the series to the ridiculous level of success it's at now.

It's one thing to create totally new prequels using the latest technology that perhaps doesnt suit everyone's tastes. But it's another thing to flatly refuse to make more movies simply out of spite. Is George really so vain and shallow as this latest announcement makes him appear
George Lucas has had a variety of different things to say on Star Wars over the years. He admittedly took quite a beating with the prequels, but it isn't because the movies were as awful as some said (though even I'll admit Jar Jar Binks is an abomination; the Gungans in general, however, are kinda cool), it's because the media when Episode I came out was a very different animal than it was in 1977 when Star Wars was released. In addition, the moviegoing public had a much greater exposure to effects-heavy blockbusters than people had in the late 70s and early 80s.

At one point Lucas was hinting his intention for Star Wars to be a 9-part series, with intentions to give us the story of Luke's full restoration of the Jedi Order after Episode VI, as well as his father's story in Episodes I-III. We've gotten the latter. The former was mentioned again a few years ago where Lucas indicated that if he did Episodes VII-IX, he wouldn't be basing them off Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy, which is widely held to be as close to a canonical Episode VII, VIII and IX as we're going to get, ignoring that a lot happened between the Battle of Endor and the time when Thrawn became an issue.

Right now, he's busy giving us 3D versions of Episodes I-III in the theaters; he's indicated it'll take about a year of post-production work on each film, meaning we'll have Episode I in 3D this March, and the next two re-releases in 2013 and 2014 respectively. Given that it took a total of 9 years to put out the prequels, this is a fairly fast release schedule.

He won't live forever, of course, but I figure he very likely has 3 more Star Wars movies in him, and while he'll (of course) take shots from the fanbase for whatever he does with them (if they wind up being the rumored Episodes VII-IX, he'll have to use different actors for everyone from the original trilogy; Harrison Ford alone ain't lookin' too spry, and Mark Hamill hasn't been good for much more than voiceover work in animated super hero shows for the past decade), he'll still rake in unconscionable amounts of profit from them and their ancillary tie-ins (even if he winds up invalidating a majority of the Expanded Universe novels we've had over the past 20 years).
<character name> of the <name> legacy, of <guild name>, a <type> guild on <server>

Superdude-
01.19.2012 , 06:12 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Stenrik View Post
Guess LOTR, Harry Potter, and actually most of the successful films out there shouldn't have been made then.
So you prefer your stories massacred and unfinished?

Stenrik
01.19.2012 , 06:14 PM | #17
So you prefer your stories massacred and unfinished?
I'm saying t hat movies can be a good compliment to the books, never said they were substitutes.

And I realize Harry Potter isn't the best example, just listing stuff that was commercially successful. I mean, that's what the producers want right? Unless this conversion was just about making stuff for fans.

Tahana
01.19.2012 , 06:14 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Now coming to a theater near you in 3D!
doh

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/...aters-in-2012/
May the Schwartz be with you
There is no glue, no pill, no tool that can fix stupid.

Turelus
01.19.2012 , 06:16 PM | #19
Who needs movies when you've got got all the books?
QFT

Honestly though as harsh as it is to say, one day Lucas will die and then there will be movies. Without him there to stop it how long do you think it will be before whoever ends up with the IP realises how much money they could make.

I had heard they were making a live action TV series? unless my friend was trolling me, he seemed pretty serious though.
The Progenitor - EU - RP
The Turelus Legacy: Tonantus, Trepkos, Taja & Turelus

Kabloosh
01.19.2012 , 06:17 PM | #20
He may not but those who inherit his company and the IP might.