Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is Republic gameplay so boring?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is Republic gameplay so boring?

BMGBen
01.19.2012 , 05:07 PM | #21
I play Jedi Knight, Imperial Operative and Sith Assasin, 90% of my playtime goes to Jedi knight, all preference I guess

Palathas
01.19.2012 , 05:07 PM | #22
I actually like the Jedi Knight story so far, just finished Chapter 1. Can't speak for the Consular though as I've only got to level 11. Personally I don't see what the issue is, to me it's no more boring than any of the Imperial story lines and I like all of them so far. *shrugs* Each to their own I guess.

Pyrolight
01.19.2012 , 05:08 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Makar View Post
As far as I can tell, they designed everyone to be awesome, except Jedi... They designed them to be stuck up and boring.... So, they're accurately portrayed based on the movies...
If you go by episodes 1-3 maybe. Obiwan and Yoda were not party animals but there were not as tedious as Jedi in this game.

Explosive_Lasers
01.19.2012 , 05:08 PM | #24
I find the Republic to be just as fun as the Empire. My Trooper is much more entertaining than my Bounty Hunter, and my Knight isn't as fun as my Warrior.

It's all a matter of opinion and personal preference. Also, it depends on how you play. If you go full Light/Dark BECAUSE of your faction, and not your character, you'll have a different experience and preference over somebody who follows a set personality.

Also, I tend to find a lot of the Dark Side choices on the Republic make more sense than many on the Imperial side. Of course, I'm biased because I can't bring myself to make a Dark Side character, I just don't like the options.

So, while you may not enjoy the Republic as much as the Empire, others feel differently.

TheHeadCapper
01.19.2012 , 05:08 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by areto View Post
When I log onto my sith I remember how I was going to force smash some guy who betrayed me's head into the wall.

Anyway that's my 2-cents.
To me that's sounds extremely bland, standard and juvenile. I'm not saying it is, just pointing out how people have much different opinions regarding the stories.
The formula 'two plus two equals five' is not without its attractions

DarkwingGT
01.19.2012 , 05:09 PM | #26
I actually enjoyed the Jedi Knight storyline. Felt pretty epic. As for Empire / Dark Side, meh, I find absolutely no appeal in being evil. Then again, I may be unique in that I never went through a "pale and tragic" phase as a teenager.

MethodSZ
01.19.2012 , 05:10 PM | #27
Every bioware developer that I know of has said over the last year that they are playing Empire for their own personal characters.

Every E3/Expo/Demo event that Bioware has done has ONLY showed off Empire classes and content.

It is no surprise that given all of this, Empire is the only faction with any thought put into it, and Republic is just an afterthought. Its the reason why no one plays Republic. Bioware just doesnt care.

Makar
01.19.2012 , 05:11 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Pyrolight View Post
If you go by episodes 1-3 maybe. Obiwan and Yoda were not party animals but there were not as tedious as Jedi in this game.
Yeah, they were... Yoda may have had quirks, but he was just as tedious.. And Obi-wan was just as tedious as the jedi in this game.
Squadron 238 Tester

DenverRalphy
01.19.2012 , 05:12 PM | #29
Granted it's just my personal opinion... but no storyline is better than the Imperial Agent (although Bounty Hunter runs a close 2nd).

And to be quite frank about it... I actually dread winning social rolls when playing my Jedi toons. Too darn goody-goody for my tastes. Even when you're trying to be snarky.

gtmach
01.19.2012 , 05:13 PM | #30
I think you should specify stories rather than gameplay since it's similar in both factions.

But IMO, it really comes down to Star Wars itself. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Star Wars. I'm a diehard fan but even I admit the saga never had much complexity with its characters/story.

The bad are straightforward bad. The good are straightforward good.

Even the Empire had some issues for me. I liked the description we're given at the creation screen: a militaristic society where the powerful ascend to glory.

To me it means that: You work your rear off, you reap in the benefits. No welfare. Nobody takes pity on you. You succeed on your own.

But when playing the general quests, too frequently I encounter the typical "evil" guy who takes pleasure in killing innocents and what not. It's why I could never get into Sith. I understand not showing any mercy to those who get in your way. But too often they go way out of their way just to kill people and be "evil"...

I love BW but I've seen this trend in their games too often. To be good you have to be the heroic tool who takes a break from saving the universe so he can save the cat stuck in a tree. To be bad you have to go out of your way and punch babies just cuz.

But I still love this game because I don't choose to be light/dark. My decisions depend on the situation, so I nearly always get the outcome I actually want.