Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is Republic gameplay so boring?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is Republic gameplay so boring?

--Grim--
01.19.2012 , 05:03 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Makar View Post
As far as I can tell, they designed everyone to be awesome, except Jedi... They designed them to be stuck up and boring.... So, they're accurately portrayed based on the movies...
Ol Luke Skywalker had a pretty good story.. "Luke, I am your father", "NOOOOO!", losing his hand and all that. Pretty dramatic stuff.

So the Devs couldn't come up with anything similar?

TheHeadCapper
01.19.2012 , 05:04 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by SquidTortellini View Post
Because bioware favors empire. They said so themselves
You should try putting comments in context, it makes for a more intellectual conversation.
The formula 'two plus two equals five' is not without its attractions

SquidTortellini
01.19.2012 , 05:04 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by HavenAE View Post
Because being "the good guy" got old after about age 12
>thinking being evil is cool
>being older than 15

pick one

Makar
01.19.2012 , 05:04 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by --Grim-- View Post
Ol Luke Skywalker had a pretty good story.. "Luke, I am your father", "NOOOOO!" and losing his hand and all that. Pretty dramatic stuff.

So the Devs couldn't come up with anything similar?
You want every Jedi Knight to have incestuous thoughts of his sister, get his hand cut off, and watch his already decaying father die in his arms?

Kinky.
Squadron 238 Tester

PibbyPib
01.19.2012 , 05:05 PM | #15
It seems like the best storylines are for character archetypes we haven't seen a million times in a million other Star Wars properties.

You know exactly what to expect from a Jedi, so it can't seem fresh the way something like an Imperial Agent or Trooper can. Either of those (and to a lesser degree, Smuggler and Bounty Hunter... even Sith) are coming at the Star Wars setting from an angle we haven't really seen much (or at all).

I think that's why Republic seems less interesting. The two most popular classes are the character types we all know already.

TheHeadCapper
01.19.2012 , 05:05 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by SquidTortellini View Post
>thinking being evil is cool
>being older than 15

pick one
ROFL, win!

NutellaCrepe
01.19.2012 , 05:06 PM | #17
To each their own..
PAX REPUBLICA
SWTOR Thread Guild Website
Casual PVP with Hardcore Determination
PVP Server | Peacekeeper | International

--Grim--
01.19.2012 , 05:06 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Makar View Post
You want every Jedi Knight to have incestuous thoughts of his sister, get his hand cut off, and watch his already decaying father die in his arms?

Kinky.
Heheheh.. well at least it would be interesting.

TheHeadCapper
01.19.2012 , 05:06 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by PibbyPib View Post
It seems like the best storylines are for character archetypes we haven't seen a million times in a million other Star Wars properties.

You know exactly what to expect from a Jedi, so it can't seem fresh the way something like an Imperial Agent or Trooper can. Either of those (and to a lesser degree, Smuggler and Bounty Hunter... even Sith) are coming at the Star Wars setting from an angle we haven't really seen much (or at all).

I think that's why Republic seems less interesting. The two most popular classes are the character types we all know already.
I think to a certain degree that's true, which is probably why my favorite stories are commando, smuggler and imp agent. But 2 of 3 are still republic!

areto
01.19.2012 , 05:07 PM | #20
I watched episode 1 the other day and I was surprised how interesting the characters were compared to the jedi in this. Making jokes all the time, getting angry pretty often, tricking people constantly, Qui-gon even immediately said "Are you an idiot?" the first time he met Jar Jar.

I never thought I'd refer to the starwars movies as a better way to do anything but there you have it. All in all the Jedi are too calm and straight laced and the overall story is a bit boring and pointless (at least for the first 20 levels). When I log onto my sith I remember how I was going to force smash some guy who betrayed me's head into the wall. When I log into one of my jedi I think "why am I collecting chemicals?" or something like that.

Anyway that's my 2-cents.