Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Flashpoint Finder - Bad for Game?

Jessedw
01.20.2012 , 02:34 PM | #21
Also I would like to add that if it wasn't because of my Pre Dungeon Finder experience in WoW I probably wouldn't even be here because I met most of my friends I came here with from grouping and meeting them, eventually joining guilds with them ect. In fact I met my wife in a Pug.

Skann
01.20.2012 , 02:35 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Jessedw View Post
I actually said in my original post that I would like a Dungeon Finder, I would just prefere it NOT be cross realm. You have reasons why you would like it to be cross realm, I have reasons why I don't. We can agree to disagree or w/e on that but don't clump me or distort my post into that. If anything I think it would be a start, perhaps you aren't finding groups because a lot of people have general off...I know I do. If people wanted to run a flashpoint and they had a queuing tool just like the warzone tool you don't think it would ease up the process even if it wasn't "cross realm"?

Also what was this business about not being able to deal with idiots. I don't have any issue dealing with idiots or I wouldn't come near these forums

I explained why I didn't like cross realm stuff, and nothing to do with a lack of skill or ability to deal on my part.
A non-cross-realm finder stills penalizes people that can't play during server peak hours. Besides, you are also stranding your player base. There is always people in this same situation spread across realms, they just can't reach each other. How is that good for the community?

Is it a step on the right direction? Sure thing. Is it the final solution? Not at all.

Finally, it's not that hard to implement the cross-realm LFG with an opt-out option, so that you choose not to play with "foreigners".

Jessedw
01.20.2012 , 02:38 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
Tweens with 15 sec attention spans killed the server communities in wow, not cross server lfg tools. As someone whos played mmos since eq1 was released i would definately say its the people not the game that did all of that.
Hell I was in the Ultima online beta back in 97 and was playing that until EQ 1...trust me I know how much things have evolved. But nothing killed my interest in a game faster than the cross realm dungeon finder did for me.

Skann
01.20.2012 , 02:46 PM | #24
Hell I was in the Ultima online beta back in 97 and was playing that until EQ 1...trust me I know how much things have evolved. But nothing killed my interest in a game faster than the cross realm dungeon finder did for me.
You know you aren't forced to use cross-realm functions, right?

Look at it this way: the more elitists jerks and ninjas filtered via cross-realm grouping system, the more cool guys you have to play with from your local gated community.

It's a win-win scenario.

Unless, of course, you want to force people to play according to your views? Is that your thing?

Lowenblade
01.20.2012 , 02:54 PM | #25
Fine, that's you and you're entitled to your opinion. The vast majority of MMO subscribers either like cross-server or don't reall mind it. The direction of the MMO Industry is to move toward easier grouping and social utilities, not the other way around. It sucks for a small segment of the player community, and that's too bad, but for-profit businesses like BioWare must cater to the paying masses or they go the way of dinosaurs.

Skann
01.20.2012 , 03:21 PM | #26
You know what I find most interesting. People buying the official (from the developer) non-sense about server communities.

News flash for you non-tech guys: servers have NOTHING to do with communities (the developer couldn't care less). Their goal is to gap technological challenges and hardware bottlenecks.

Building system to support cross-realm grouping is a huge effort that takes time. Better to use the smoke-screen of "building communities" so that you look like you care about something you know is a non-sense.

Rehash
01.20.2012 , 03:27 PM | #27
The 50s queue time will get better once the game ages and more people hit 50, but I would have to completely disagree with you on the community aspect. In this game, I have made a lot of friends, I know just about everyone on the server that is any good, I have a huge friends list...people that are idiots and AFKers are black listed on the server...there are already quite a few known to the majority of the server, It's nice.

On Wow before cross realm it was the same way...you got to know other people from your server, I logged in and got whispers from people all the time asking me to join them because I had a rep on the server as being one of the best healers. All of that is completely lost in a cross realm "dungeon finder" once it came along I hardly made any new friends...dungeons became "business", most people aren't very social at all...they just want to get their daily/reward and be done with it and kick you or leave themselves if it doesn't go exactly how they expect it. And in the case of the odd cool person that would talk back and joke around in group...odds were I would never run into that person again once the dungeon ended. I can't /friend them...nothing. So yes I would have to disagree with you.

When it comes to off peak hours, I don't understand people that play on servers where their main play time isn't in line with the servers peak hours. I have a friend from Australia that played on East Coast Servers because he worked graveyard shifts and so the server peak time was in line with the east coast. If you live on the east coast try a west coast server...
Hey guy. Did you know that if they implement the LFD system you can still use your AMAZINGLY LARGE friends list to create groups? UNCANNY!

If you don't like LFD don't use it, but don't complain about something that you won't ever be required to use.

Jessedw
01.20.2012 , 03:29 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Lowenblade View Post
Fine, that's you and you're entitled to your opinion. The vast majority of MMO subscribers either like cross-server or don't reall mind it. The direction of the MMO Industry is to move toward easier grouping and social utilities, not the other way around. It sucks for a small segment of the player community, and that's too bad, but for-profit businesses like BioWare must cater to the paying masses or they go the way of dinosaurs.
Vast majority eh? Anywhere you back up these claims? Wow introduced the feature in patch 3.3, the final patch of the last expansion, where subscribers have done nothing but drop since a few months after its introduction. I think the vast majority are apathetic and the vocal minority have an opinion 1 way or another.

Jessedw
01.20.2012 , 03:32 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Skann View Post
You know what I find most interesting. People buying the official (from the developer) non-sense about server communities.

News flash for you non-tech guys: servers have NOTHING to do with communities (the developer couldn't care less). Their goal is to gap technological challenges and hardware bottlenecks.

Building system to support cross-realm grouping is a huge effort that takes time. Better to use the smoke-screen of "building communities" so that you look like you care about something you know is a non-sense.
As someone that does load balancing and server clustering for a living, it's really not that hard and they already have the infrastructure in place, and the coding involved isn't that big a deal either. They will start with the cross realm pvp to get everything in place and then, inevitably will come the Cross realm flashpoint finder.

dipstik
01.20.2012 , 03:34 PM | #30
ive been put on ignore by 3-5 ppl because i go down the who list and whisper everyone to try to make a group. i tyopically am able to make one pretty quick, but on the the ppl that ognored me had the open ops group on ilum and i was unable top join due to this. i like not having a group finder, but it is unfortunate that ppl have decided that people looking for gorups should be ignored.