Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Flashpoint Finder - Bad for Game?

Jessedw
01.19.2012 , 04:17 PM | #1
So I have always been in the boat with the people saying "dungeon finder" destroys community and whatnot but now that I have experienced this, I think the game could use it if done right. Currently Warzones are queue up and play...so why couldn't flashpoints work the same way?

I'm NOT talking about CROSS SERVER Dungeon Finder, it would still be the same server only, so it wouldn't affect your community, people that abuse it would be known still and you can still kick people or w/e you would normally be able to do...maybe with a voting system of some sort.

After being 50 for a few weeks now I am just tired of dealing with the mess that is the current system. I stand in Fleet spamming, 30 minutes later...finally get a group, next 10-15 minutes is waiting for everyone to get to the flashpoint...

"Lets do the False Emperor", "okay, we have to goto Ilum for that"

From Fleet I have to goto my Elevator - Pause while Load
Go into my Ship - Zoning into new instance
Run up to the console and click it
find the sector after the animation, find the planet, click travel - another pause while it loads
Run back out of my ship - zoning into new instance
In spaceport where I can't even mount, run to shuttle - pause while load
mount up head to elevator - wait
run up to instance, wait for every other member to get there and take mission.

And then....1 person says, "Uhh, says i'm not eligible?"...."Did you do the quest chain here?"...."no...not yet".... #$%&!

So back now more time wasted finding someone else....find a replacement...get half way into it and healer has to go...you do a /who 50 fleet and ask everyone that could possibly be a healer if they are willing to come. You find someone, they either run into the same scenario as above, or they are unable to grab the mission or accept the shared mission. They drop group to grab mission, get reinvited, still cant zone in, have to click "reset" on mission...finally they can zone.

It is a very frustrating process and now i'm all for a warzone like queue system for MY server. I understand some of my examples above may be extreme but trust me when I say I have experienced all of them.

Moricthian
01.19.2012 , 04:24 PM | #2
But look at all the people you get to know during this monstrous headache! This game needs a LFG system ASAP.

Lowenblade
01.19.2012 , 04:33 PM | #3
So BioWare was right after all, the lack of a good LFD UI is building a community after all. I bet the Devs didn't count on the community throwing rocks at them instead of roses.

Skann
01.19.2012 , 06:44 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Jessedw View Post
So I have always been in the boat with the people saying "dungeon finder" destroys community and whatnot but now that I have experienced this, I think the game could use it if done right. Currently Warzones are queue up and play...so why couldn't flashpoints work the same way?
Cross-server is a must in the LFG. What if you don't play during your server peak time? What if you play on a low-pop server? Should you be penalized for that? Should everyone be force to flock high-pop servers if they want to enjoy a few dungeons whenever they feel like?

There is only one community, it's the SWTOR one. Please, help stop spreading the myth of server communities. It's not real.

Servers are currently fenced and that goes totally against forming communities, not towards it.

Look at the 50 bracket for PVP. It takes over 30m to join a single match if you are not playing during peak time of you servers.

Jessedw
01.20.2012 , 10:08 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Skann View Post
Cross-server is a must in the LFG. What if you don't play during your server peak time? What if you play on a low-pop server? Should you be penalized for that? Should everyone be force to flock high-pop servers if they want to enjoy a few dungeons whenever they feel like?

There is only one community, it's the SWTOR one. Please, help stop spreading the myth of server communities. It's not real.

Servers are currently fenced and that goes totally against forming communities, not towards it.

Look at the 50 bracket for PVP. It takes over 30m to join a single match if you are not playing during peak time of you servers.
The 50s queue time will get better once the game ages and more people hit 50, but I would have to completely disagree with you on the community aspect. In this game, I have made a lot of friends, I know just about everyone on the server that is any good, I have a huge friends list...people that are idiots and AFKers are black listed on the server...there are already quite a few known to the majority of the server, It's nice.

On Wow before cross realm it was the same way...you got to know other people from your server, I logged in and got whispers from people all the time asking me to join them because I had a rep on the server as being one of the best healers. All of that is completely lost in a cross realm "dungeon finder" once it came along I hardly made any new friends...dungeons became "business", most people aren't very social at all...they just want to get their daily/reward and be done with it and kick you or leave themselves if it doesn't go exactly how they expect it. And in the case of the odd cool person that would talk back and joke around in group...odds were I would never run into that person again once the dungeon ended. I can't /friend them...nothing. So yes I would have to disagree with you.

When it comes to off peak hours, I don't understand people that play on servers where their main play time isn't in line with the servers peak hours. I have a friend from Australia that played on East Coast Servers because he worked graveyard shifts and so the server peak time was in line with the east coast. If you live on the east coast try a west coast server...

Gydlock
01.20.2012 , 10:15 AM | #6
Cross-realm dungeon finding killed wow for me. You've lost all accountability to be any kind of quality player or quality human being. Ninjaing was rampant at lower levels and ***-hatery was prevalent in the upper levels. People would quit group after 1 death, not even a wipe. Expectations were too high and everyone became a prima-donna. Especially the tanks.

I would like to see a dungeon finding tool but please PLEASE keep it on just the realm. Hell, I'd rather see cross faction dungeon finding before I'd see cross-realm.

snowmon
01.20.2012 , 10:24 AM | #7
i agree with Gydlock, a LFD will cripple the game. people will just sit in the fleet waiting for the queue to pop, be it pvp or pve, noone will go around doing world pvp, world bosses, exploration, it will be hit 50 then grind LFD while sat in fleet spamming /1

our server is using a global channel, more people that start using it the better.

/cjoin lfg

and its global so dont have to sit in fleet you can just go out and do ya thing and still find a group.

if that aint your thing....you can always just /who and check specific class or lvls and just /w people till you find one.
lvl 55 PT DPS, ToFN Server

Skann
01.20.2012 , 11:33 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Jessedw View Post
The 50s queue time will get better once the game ages and more people hit 50, but I would have to completely disagree with you on the community aspect. In this game, I have made a lot of friends, I know just about everyone on the server that is any good, I have a huge friends list...people that are idiots and AFKers are black listed on the server...there are already quite a few known to the majority of the server, It's nice.

On Wow before cross realm it was the same way...you got to know other people from your server, I logged in and got whispers from people all the time asking me to join them because I had a rep on the server as being one of the best healers. All of that is completely lost in a cross realm "dungeon finder" once it came along I hardly made any new friends...dungeons became "business", most people aren't very social at all...they just want to get their daily/reward and be done with it and kick you or leave themselves if it doesn't go exactly how they expect it. And in the case of the odd cool person that would talk back and joke around in group...odds were I would never run into that person again once the dungeon ended. I can't /friend them...nothing. So yes I would have to disagree with you.

When it comes to off peak hours, I don't understand people that play on servers where their main play time isn't in line with the servers peak hours. I have a friend from Australia that played on East Coast Servers because he worked graveyard shifts and so the server peak time was in line with the east coast. If you live on the east coast try a west coast server...
So basically, if you don't have a past history of jerks in LFG (myself and many others that support LFG) you are supposed to play the way you view it? Am I supposed to spend my time trying to put a group together, however long it takes, because people like can't deal with anonymous you idiots? Not to say that LFG always have a "vote for kick", you know, to deal with that type of people.

WoW has Real ID so you have a cross server "friends" list, albeit I would discuss that you really made new "friends". You found yourself game partners, at best. Social aspect of the game is covered by Guilds.

Bad apples are "black listed" on the server? I suppose you play on a 10 person "server", i mean, your small gated community.

And if for any reason you can't play on a server peak time, "bad luck"? Any day that I have something to do that forbids me to play at the right time, should I play another game? Does it make any sense?

For instance I don't care about the "making internet friends" non-sense. I just want to play the co-op game (FPs). I have a huge guild that fulfills my "social" needs during operations. I know how to deal with jerks in anonymous groups. Why can't I have the option to use a cross-server LFG tool? Because you can't/don't know how to deal with jerks? Don't force you play style on others.

Simple enough, you don't have to use LFG tool. You can still make friends within you gated community and play with them only. If the majority starts using LFG, well, guess what? Maybe they have the skill you lack to deal with idiots.

Skann
01.20.2012 , 11:39 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by snowmon View Post
i agree with Gydlock, a LFD will cripple the game. people will just sit in the fleet waiting for the queue to pop, be it pvp or pve, noone will go around doing world pvp, world bosses, exploration, it will be hit 50 then grind LFD while sat in fleet spamming /1

our server is using a global channel, more people that start using it the better.

/cjoin lfg

and its global so dont have to sit in fleet you can just go out and do ya thing and still find a group.

if that aint your thing....you can always just /who and check specific class or lvls and just /w people till you find one.
Stop spreading rumors, please. The game badly needs a cross-server LFG to enable people to actually play the game and not play "waiting for a group".

World PVP is fallacy. World PVP is the pretty name to ganking low level characters, or to get ganked yourself by bigger groups. People who really like World PVP don't care about LFG.

World bosses aren't meant for level 50, you know that, right? They are meant to be done during level up when you are questing.

Why do I have to go thru all the hassle of forming a group/moving to the instance if the game already has the Warzone queuing feature? I want to queue myself and let the game do the rest, port me to the instance, and back once I'm done. Not asking for much, I'm asking for a feature to enable me to play the game more, not less.

Imagine how many people are stranded on their gated community off peak server hours. A LFG would enable these people to get together and play. That strengthens the game community, not weakens it.

Skann
01.20.2012 , 11:42 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Gydlock View Post
Cross-realm dungeon finding killed wow for me. You've lost all accountability to be any kind of quality player or quality human being. Ninjaing was rampant at lower levels and ***-hatery was prevalent in the upper levels. People would quit group after 1 death, not even a wipe. Expectations were too high and everyone became a prima-donna. Especially the tanks.

I would like to see a dungeon finding tool but please PLEASE keep it on just the realm. Hell, I'd rather see cross faction dungeon finding before I'd see cross-realm.
That's you experience. I did hundreds of LFG dungeons on my 5 80s and the majority of the time things were fine and nice. Most WoW players are nice and polite people. Stop spreading the rumor that most of 10m player base is made of idiots and jerks.

Again, whenever I am playing off peak hours, screw me and everyone else in the same situation. Give it a "option" to play within your server only then, and let the liked minded people play together.