Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why can't Space combat be like Xwing vs Tie Fighter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why can't Space combat be like Xwing vs Tie Fighter

jonfarrrr
01.19.2012 , 03:48 PM | #1
Xwing was one of the best games ever made. When I played it I thought,"It'd be great if this was a MMORPG where you could recruit a fleet and fight large scale player vs player battles." (Yes, I thought this back with Xwing cuz I even tried to make the first MMORPG before UO came out.)

I'll resubscribe to the game if this ever happens in a patch. I think the biggest problem will simply be making sure everyone doesn't have maxxed out vehicles for the PVP, but maybe that is just unavoidable.

Greyshadow
01.19.2012 , 05:22 PM | #2
That's the main thing I liked about SWG. IT was excellent space combat, and you don't find a lot of decent space fighting like that.

Personally, I go to Black Prophecy for my space fix... not much in the story department, but space is great. It's less "technical" than EvE, not to mention it's free.

Claidh
01.20.2012 , 03:15 AM | #3
If they could do that, and still keep the space combat optional so you wouldn't have two entirely separate learning curves/games, I'd totally agree with you.

I loved X-Wing, TIE fighter, XvT and XWA. Many, many hours were spent on those games.

My favorite was a Y-Wing mission where at a set point right at the end of the mission, a Star Destroyer would drop out of hyperspace and start launching waves of TIE Interceptors at you. This was supposed to be your cue to leave. I'd always save up my protons, put the deflectors on double front, and charge in - wipe out all 72 fighters, then strafe the ISD before emptying the torpedoes into the shield generators. A few strafing runs with the ions, then park right off the bridge, cycle between lasers and ions, and blow the sucker up. Good times.

Now that you've got me all nostalgic, I think I'd have a hard time figuring out what part of the game I'd play at that point. Awesome lightsaber combat or locking the ol' S-foils in attack position?
Squadron 11.11.11 Never Forget

RayceUlrand
01.20.2012 , 04:09 AM | #4
They wanted to focus on ground content.

Space can come later. Harder to tell stories, in a story driven mmo, when your behind a cockpit most of the time.

Atlantians
01.20.2012 , 04:33 AM | #5
Imagine a SW MMO game that merged the space combat from something like X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and SWG and the ground combat of Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast/Academy, and you would have the single most comprehensive and engaging Star Wars combat simulator ever.

Layer thisa with the deep story and voice acting of SW-TOR and then tie into it the deep House and spaceship system and speeder mechanics of SWG, you would have a game that would never die.

GhostRiderLSOV
01.20.2012 , 04:53 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by RayceUlrand View Post
Space can come later. Harder to tell stories, in a story driven mmo, when your behind a cockpit most of the time.
The way it is now, it's not harder to tell stories than if it was like the X-Wing series.

The problem is that the missions are repeated 2-3 times and it's just pew pew.

If they could add more things, it can get better. Like a mini-campaign or something.

And at times, it makes me feel like trying Rebel Assault II (the first was too damn hard without cheating ) again.
"Every little thing that helps."
Hile'Iteu Lightgrasp - Jedi Guardian
On the Frostclaw server

Zekid
01.20.2012 , 08:12 AM | #7
Jump to light speed didn't come out for SWG until 1-2 years after release. and I imagine that Bioware have plans for space and space combat that are not anything like the on rails stuff we have now. Don't get me wrong, I am an on rails supporter. Its a nice change from the quest grind and Its enjoyable until your 50 (for me anyway).

Also if there was a complex space system now then half your servers community would be on their ships and unable to group with you for flashpoints etc. not to mention creating a fully 3d interactive environment for yours and everyone else's ships to fly around in would require almost (if not as much) as much coding as the on ground game. So considering having on rails over proper space ment 2-3 less years in development I'm willing to accept it.

When they do get around to upgrading space combat lets hope its like Xwing. Would be immense.

genesiser
01.20.2012 , 08:28 AM | #8
This game takes place like 3,000 years before the movies. Maybe there weren't invented yet? I dunno.

Lexandar
01.20.2012 , 08:31 AM | #9
Of all the space combat games you choose XvT? How about Conflict Freespace I & II?

jarjarloves
01.20.2012 , 09:02 AM | #10
2 words

Expansion Pack

No need to give it all at the start.