Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SSD Does NOTHING to improve Loading Times for SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SSD Does NOTHING to improve Loading Times for SWTOR

SiEDeN
01.19.2012 , 01:44 PM | #1
I purchased an SSD specifically for this game in hopes to improve load times for zone transitions. I ran speed tests for zones on both my HDD and SSD, unfortunately the loading times were nearly identical. I guess the file structure of SWTOR just doesn't seem to benefit from SSD's at all, at least from my experience.

Can anyone else confirm this or perhaps are getting load times down some from SSD's?

Xugos
01.19.2012 , 01:45 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by SiEDeN View Post
I purchased an SSD specifically for this game in hopes to improve load times for zone transitions. I ran speed tests for zones on both my HDD and SSD, unfortunately the loading times were nearly identical. I guess the file structure of SWTOR just doesn't seem to benefit from SSD's at all, at least from my experience.

Can anyone else confirm this or perhaps are getting load times down some from SSD's?
The engine is horribly coded. I have an i7 at 4.1 ghz, SLI 580 gtx, and an SSD, but I still get 3-4 minute load times.
Vorps
The SW:TOR Fanboy:
"EVERYONE, BACK THE !@$# UP! MY OPINION IS FACT!"

NaimiIflya
01.19.2012 , 01:45 PM | #3
Maybe your SSD is being bottlenecked some where further down the line?
Larmonte Murho from Sanctum of the Exalted <Jedi Guardian>

calsi
01.19.2012 , 01:45 PM | #4
I've noticed this as well. Load times are getting hung up on their end.

edit: Just to clarify, every other MMO I have played has benefited greatly from an SSD.

Elyree
01.19.2012 , 01:46 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SiEDeN View Post

Most of the delay in loading zones is retrieving dynamic data from the server, not loading static data from disk. No SSD in the world is going to get rid of that delay.

jibboo
01.19.2012 , 01:46 PM | #6
Got two SSDs in RAID 0.

Loading onto planets is still pretty slow.

Alkiii
01.19.2012 , 01:46 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Xugos View Post
The engine is horribly coded. I have an i7 at 4.1 ghz, SLI 580 gtx, and an SSD, but I still get 3-4 minute load times.
Something is wrong with your setup if you're getting 3-4 minute load times. Seriously.
“When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep ... not screaming like the passengers in his car.”

GthcRvn
01.19.2012 , 01:46 PM | #8
That is because the issue is not the HDD. It is the CPU.

This has been discussed. Repeatedly.

warpass
01.19.2012 , 01:47 PM | #9
im getting 10-15 sec load times on the loading screen on my OCZ SSD. what kind to you have? Some people without an SSD are reporting 1 to 1 1/2 min. Mabe its faster than you think?

Vitellius
01.19.2012 , 01:48 PM | #10
So, first you made an assumption (TOR should load faster with an SSD) then blamed TOR's "file structure" because it didn't? What is the point of this thread again?
"Smoke me a kipper...i'll be back for breakfast." -Ace Rimmer