Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slow Launcher start and ESET Smart Security 5.0? Look here!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Slow Launcher start and ESET Smart Security 5.0? Look here!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Davloc
01.19.2012 , 12:14 PM | #1
Over the last couple of days, my launcher has been taking a full minute to open up after selecting "Yes" from the User Account Control prompt. After a bit of turning things off and on, I found out what was causing it (for me at least), so I decided to post here to help others with ESET Smart security 5.0 (and possibly the older versions as well, and maybe even other brands of security software).

To cut a long story short, it was the web access protection module.

Here's how to create an exception for the launcher so it opens quicker(You will need to be using an administrator account to do this):

Double click the ESET icon to open up the GUI, and select "Setup" on the left hand side.
Scroll to the bottom and select "Enter advanced setup..."
Expand "Web and Email", then expand "Protocol Filtering"
Select "Excluded applications"
On the right hand side, check the box next the corresponding path to the SWTOR launcher.
Click "Ok" at the bottom to save your settings.
Profit?

This fixed the delay for me, your mileage may vary but hopefully this will help at least 1 person

After I confirmed that this cured my issue, I went back in and checked the path for SWTOR.exe for good measure though I don't know if this will make any difference in game as the servers were down for patching while I wrote this.

Malanoth
01.19.2012 , 01:28 PM | #2
Thanks for this, I was beginning to think it might be my AV. I am using Eset Smart Security 5.0.95.0 and this fix has (fingers crossed) worked. Funny how it never happened then suddenly did. Who changed what to make this launcher get 1-2 minute delay, exactly?

Davloc
01.19.2012 , 01:42 PM | #3
Glad I could help, it started for me before the 1.1 patch. It was working fine one day, and not the next so I'm thinking it's ESET.

5.0 seems a little buggy, for instance, on my wife's comp, everytime the game crashes to desktop, Smart security is doing something like running a quick scan or updating definitions.

Putting it in gamer mode is meant to stop the status notifications and put it into a more passive mode and prevent definition updates and startup scans from running but as soon as you go into gamer mode, I get a warning baloon telling me that smart security requires my attention. And while my wife is playing, it reverts to normal mode again. I'm in the process of tinkering with the settings to try and get it to behave nicely but it is quite frustrating.

I'm running 5.0.95.0 too which is the latest release according to it's update page.

DorvallaCao
01.19.2012 , 02:30 PM | #4
Yea, i have the same thing. It did start like on Monday or Sunday for me. I followed your steps and hope this will solve it, since i am now in game. Thanks!

Edit: Yes! Launcher loading speed and loading times within game did dramaticly decrease. Thanks!

~Dorv
SWG: Pre CU Veteran ('04 - '09) / Server: Bria / Chars: 'Lazarus' & Dorvalla
WoW: WotLK and Cata player ('09 - '11) / Server: Sporregar (EU) / Chars: Dorvalla & Oosque

Rochand
01.19.2012 , 02:35 PM | #5
The same also applies to ESET NOD32, but atleast it checks every packet that goes in or out from you computer.
CE VIP
Bioware: Please address this issue. PvE players on PvE servers should NEVER be forced into PvP through the actions of greifers! http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=159167

Gunsteinson
09.15.2012 , 12:00 AM | #6
Thank you for this. I have been trying for so long to fix this problem. I thought a did, but only because the ESET was turned off after a thought a had finaly fix it. When a turn it back on again it stop working just like before. But after doing what you said it works fine.

Thank you.
To fall and die amongst those fighting in the front is a beautiful thing for a brave man who is doing battle on behalf of his country.

Gunsteinson
09.15.2012 , 12:52 AM | #7
Problem, now instead my character screen a get blank server sit.
To fall and die amongst those fighting in the front is a beautiful thing for a brave man who is doing battle on behalf of his country.

Laevena
09.15.2012 , 01:12 AM | #8 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello Gunsteinson,

Please try removing and re-adding the swtor.exe and launcher.exe to the exceptions list of both your anti-virus and Firewall. This should allow the communication between your computer and the servers.

Let us know if this helps.
Laevena | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

Gunsteinson
09.15.2012 , 03:39 AM | #9
I only have ESET smart security. I dont use the firewall at all, a have turned it off. I have only ever used ESET with this computer.

Laevena
09.15.2012 , 04:36 AM | #10 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
We have found messages from players using the same third party software that you may find of interest. The first one is this thread and the second one is here. However, as we do not recommend turning off the Protocol Filtering, we would recommend you to take contact with your manufacturer's support for further assistance.

We hope this information will be helpful and we apologize for not being able to assist you further with this issue. However if you have any other question, don't hesitate to let us know.
Laevena | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support