Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Please help if possible, new player, thanks

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Please help if possible, new player, thanks

ahwell's Avatar


ahwell
01.19.2012 , 12:06 PM | #1
I would like to know how pvp works, is there a link someone could post for me to read what the advantages, if any, are?

I have also recd my first social points, again what is this all about, how do you you increase your social skills, any advice or info would be great.

Last question, could anyone tell me where to find the curator, i have aquired some items that can be turned into gifts for my companions, but i cant find the currator?

Can i say a quick thank you to all the people who take the time and effort to reply to these forums, please keep up the excellent work

Adric_the_Red's Avatar


Adric_the_Red
01.19.2012 , 12:15 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by ahwell View Post
I would like to know how pvp works, is there a link someone could post for me to read what the advantages, if any, are?
Participating in PvP gets you "Expertise" points, which help in ... PvP. You also get commendations, which you can use to buy gear which will help you both in and out of PvP.

Quote:
I have also recd my first social points, again what is this all about, how do you you increase your social skills, any advice or info would be great.
You get social points for grouping in flashpoints and certain other quests. Increasing your social rank allows you to purchase items from the social vendors. These are mostly cosmetic.

Quote:
Last question, could anyone tell me where to find the curator, i have aquired some items that can be turned into gifts for my companions, but i cant find the currator?
The curator for Republic is on Carrick Station, I believe in the "NE" section, with other specialty and commendation vendors. Empire side is probably in a similar location on their fleet station. (Sorry, I haven't played Empire much, so don't have specifics).

Quote:
Can i say a quick thank you to all the people who take the time and effort to reply to these forums, please keep up the excellent work
You most certainly can.

draakdorei's Avatar


draakdorei
01.19.2012 , 12:27 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Adric_the_Red View Post
You get social points for grouping in flashpoints and certain other quests. Increasing your social rank allows you to purchase items from the social vendors. These are mostly cosmetic.
Note: If you are running Heroics, you MUST finish the quest together (by talking to the quest turn-in NPC together) or you will not get the social points.

Ex:
As a Republic player, you can run the Jedi Temple Heroic-4man mission and share the quest with others; however, if you do not turn in the quest together at the Senate Tower, you will be awarded no social points.

Flashpoints - Esseles, I think, is the most favorable for Social Points in the early game. (lots of conversation chances for points)

I haven't tried any since then...so I don't know what the next high SP gain Flashpoint is

ahwell's Avatar


ahwell
01.19.2012 , 12:27 PM | #4
Many thanks for the prompt reply and the info.

I was wondering how you join in pvp, isit geared to your level, ie jedi knight level 34?

One other quick question, i noticed i could buy some orange gear called piolt with my space commendations, but the stats on the items were not very good, i was wondering what benefit they offer & do you only use them when you are doing space missions? Sorry if this is a silly question, being new i am not sure if they are worth using your commendations?

Many thanks again

Darthshnooky's Avatar


Darthshnooky
01.19.2012 , 12:35 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ahwell View Post
Many thanks for the prompt reply and the info.

I was wondering how you join in pvp, isit geared to your level, ie jedi knight level 34?

One other quick question, i noticed i could buy some orange gear called piolt with my space commendations, but the stats on the items were not very good, i was wondering what benefit they offer & do you only use them when you are doing space missions? Sorry if this is a silly question, being new i am not sure if they are worth using your commendations?

Many thanks again
There's a little Republic/Imperial icon by your mini-map, click on that to queue for pvp.

The pilot gear, and other orange items, are custom pieces. They have empty mod slots that you can insert various types of mods into. They have no stats on their own, and are completely dependent on the mods you put in them. For armor, the "armoring" mod controls its actual armor value, while blasters use "barrel" and lightsabers depend on "hilt" for their damage. The pilot gear in particular is meant as social gear for fun, roleplaying, or using as you play.

Edit: To expand on what was said above. Grouping during conversations is how you get social points. You don't get social points from anything but being with other people during conversations. If you win a conversation roll, you get social points equal to twice the number of players in your group. While if you lose the roll you get social points equal to the number of players in your group.

ahwell's Avatar


ahwell
01.20.2012 , 07:08 AM | #6
Thank you for the info, it really helps when playing the game,