Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Roleplaying "on the road"

Luca
12.14.2011 , 01:58 PM | #1
...As opposed to roleplaying in "fixed locales"
---

Roleplaying in one single (or more) area, be it a cantina or an external square is fine: anything that manages to create some sort of gathering where fun stuff happens (beside the usual mob bashing/grind) is more than welcomed.

Still it would be nice to try roleplaying as you go on your errands, in a random street on Coruscant or any other planet of your choice.

Otherwise, the rest of the world is silent, where you see players running from quest giver to quest giver and that's it, anything else is unused, becomes devoid of life.

Yes, of course it happens, it's the linear nature of DIKUs, but what I'm saying is that it would be great to create events that involve traveling on foot to various locations (pilgrimages and others) and something akin to that.

Limiting roleplaying actitivities to a couple big single areas make roleplaying itself an "artificial" and detached activity, while instead, from my personal point of view, it should strive to enhance the feeling of being part of a "world" (where stuff happens "naturally" as you go).
Server: The Progenitor (EU RP-PvE)

SinyaXiana
12.14.2011 , 02:03 PM | #2
This is how I usually roleplay anyway with a group of people, if the situation allows it (ie not too absurd to be in) then we roleplay our involvement there not wait to get back some place cosy to talk.
Solo rping is another thing to do, just to immerse yourself in the setting and this will probably fit better with the cut scenes, except when your char would want to kill the one they're talking to but can't.
I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

Jagrevi
12.14.2011 , 04:39 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Luca View Post
...As opposed to roleplaying in "fixed locales"
---
Ah, ok.

Thread title made me curious what you were talking about.
Planned Twi'lek Scoundrel

Luca
12.14.2011 , 04:44 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Jagrevi View Post
Ah, ok.

Thread title made me curious what you were talking about.

See what I did there??? I made you click on my topic!!! "DING", achievement!

RebelWeasel
12.14.2011 , 06:23 PM | #5
I wanted to do this so badly.

I hate static cantina role play. The problem is not a single one of my friends wants to do on the road style RP. Oh sure, they spent weeks developing background character ideas and ways they could "run into" each other. They all agreed to do it, go slow, enjoy the content.

Then the level monster reared its ugly head. My friends got so excited about their early game access that they rushed through the entire first planet in a huge hurry. They skipped side quests, completely ignored or talked over the cut scene dialog in the game during Ventrilo, and then were constantly talking over each other in great excited hurry-hurry-hurry leveling up talk about how they were excited to get to the flash point, excited to get their ship, excited to level up their crafting. They left me completely behind them.

I don't understand why everyone is in such a rush. They're all going to be screaming how bored and lonely they are at level 50 with nothing to do while standing around a cantina demanding insta-rp storyline with no character development or in game experiences to rp about. I simply don't get the rush. I wish I'd never tried to do anything in early game access, I wish I was smarter and never even bothered trying to rp in this game until it was a year out already and people would calm down and learn to enjoy it instead of rushing through it. I wish I could go back and take back the entire first day on my character, and re-do it all at my own pace, with REAL RPers, not power gamers.
My curiosity is stronger than your security measure.
Game Revolution Radio

Luca
12.14.2011 , 06:36 PM | #6
Hehe, believe me, I know what you mean and how you are feeling.

The problem is not so much with your friend, but with the nature of DIKU (or "theme park") MMOs. They're structured so that you get slowly addicted to the "leveling monster", you feel the need to get the next quest from the NPC, get the next piece of gear and so on and so forth.

Automatically, this kind of playing style, while perfectly legit, gets in the way of any other diverse and "trivial" activity. While inside the "leveling wheel" you consider everything else as a distraction.

Plus, take into account the small size of the initial zones in TOR: the "tunnel" style certainly doesn't encourage exploration or traveling by foot etc. So you delay your roleplaying experience, waiting to happen in the bigger worlds, like Hoth, Tatooine or Ilum (never went there, I just read that zones there are indeed a lot bigger).

Obviously this would be different if it was a sandbox MMO, but hey, hopefully the community here will be willing enough to try roleplaying all over the place and not only at level 50.

Firelightx
12.14.2011 , 06:59 PM | #7
I wholeheartedly agree, here. As important as static locations can be to ensuring there's always somewhere you can go for rp, rping on the fly is even more so. Back in CoH on Virtue, pick up teams almost always had at least one person rping. That one person could often turn the team into one big rp group, even while running missions. It even got non rpers to join in. I'd like to see that happen in TOR for sure.

Zin-Zin
12.14.2011 , 08:44 PM | #8
I'm a weirdo. I RP while doing...everything. My character swears when mobs spawn and start shooting her; if people are standing around and I need a quest objective she'll make a comment about how she's got a bone to pick with that guy and his gun, that sort of thing. It takes very very little time and I think it makes the entire experience more immersive despite possibly making me look like a nutjob for actually 'interacting' with NPCs.

Obic
12.14.2011 , 11:35 PM | #9
I "walk" when I want to RP "on the road". It's my sign to others "hey come bump into me, I'll play too.

...and glad to know I'm not the only one to talks back to NPCs and mobs.

kirorx
12.17.2011 , 06:21 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Zin-Zin View Post
I'm a weirdo. I RP while doing...everything. My character swears when mobs spawn and start shooting her; if people are standing around and I need a quest objective she'll make a comment about how she's got a bone to pick with that guy and his gun, that sort of thing. It takes very very little time and I think it makes the entire experience more immersive despite possibly making me look like a nutjob for actually 'interacting' with NPCs.
I do this as well...