3 (easy?!) UI Upgrades to Improve Experience - Concise - Constructive !!

Solyp

There are many other posts criticizing the User Interface (UI), so the purpose of this thread is to provide a constructive discussion and comprehensive list of the communities desired UI improvements. I have outlined the 3 major changes and have attempted to keep this post a quick, yet a defended and constructive read :D.

I applaud the attempt at creating a game that does not require mods. However, that philosophy also requires a UI that is flexible and functional enough for the varied player base.

I know developers have said they're addressing quick fixes first. Consequently there are many UI improvements that would improve toon control and none were implemented with patch 1.1. I don't know how easy these suggestions are, but any of them would have an actual effect on gameplay via improved character control and competitive capacity; and attenuating frustration and "my character looks like my action bar syndrome (MCLABS)". I have also listed some secondary improvements that I expect to see (unless well opposed) in a game trying to overcome the influence of user-generated content (maybe this is not their philosophy... doesn't matter).

Ordered in highest priority:

1) Undockable UI Frames/Bars

-Allow each UI piece to be undocked, moved around, and relocked as currently possible with the Operation Frames.

Examples of "parts":

hotbars, target frames (target of target), focus, companion frame resource and health bar, party members individually, buffs and debuffs, map, quest log, inventory, etc.

Reasoning: Currently the hotbars are stuck almost as far apart as possible on the screen. This demands unnecessary eye movement (especially on larger monitors). The target frames and especially the resource frames require frequent monitoring for many classes and this results in the player staring at his or her resource bar, hotbars to reactivate short cooldowns, and the target's health before finally being able to watch the more entertaining animations (MCLABS).

-Allow opacity fading and size adjustments for the above mentioned UI parts individually.

Reasoning: Many UI parts can still be interpreted without blocking out the background. The UI parts can then be moved closer to the player's consistently central position so the gamer doesn't have to waste as much time looking around the screen and can instead see the toon more often. Shrinking or expanding UI parts also grants more customization and one can prioritize visualization of parts. This would also allow a user to hide unnecessary information (such as current level, mail, anything desired).

2) More Functional Nameplates

-Add a buffs, debuffs, and a resource bar beneath the health bar on the current nameplates. Also display percentages and/or digits on the bars as done currently with the resource and health bars.

Reasoning: As with the first suggestion, this is an effort to improve visibility of the actual environment. If we can monitor our character's resources, buffs, and debuffs (along with the existing health and cast bar) then we would only look away to watch cooldowns. I can only imagine this is omitted due to lengthy programming?

-Allow toon targeting by clicking on Nameplates

Reasoning: Currently toon hitboxes are relatively small and noticeably more difficult to click. If this is an intentional effort to reward FPS gameplay than at least I understand the implementation. But it's personally frustrating for accurate, quick pve or pvp targeting. Nameplates are much easier to click - simple solution.

-Customizable size and opacity of Nameplates

Reasoning: Similar logic to above.

3) Increased Functionality of Hotbars

-Numbers counting down the duration of the cooldown remaining on hotkeys that are unavailable due to cooldown. Note: As for most suggestions, I'm assuming individual customization of these upgrades. For example, being able to select which hotkeys display numbers as well as number opacity/size.

Reasoning: As mentioned before, gamers look away from their characters to stare at target frames, resource frames, and hotkeys for cooldowns. With numerical overlays the gamer only needs to briefly glance at the hotkeys to interpret the cooldown duration of multiple moves. Without, at least in my experience, it's difficult to discern an accurate cooldown duration unless the "emptying box" (descending bar) is less than half full. This current model limits the number of cooldowns that can be acquired in a single glance.

An even better solution would be a customizable cooldown dropdown menu that vertically (or horizontally) lists the moves currently on cooldown in descending order. This would display the cooldown durations with even less eye movement than showing numbers over the dispersed hotkeys.

-Increase number of hotkeys.

Reasoning: With the companion bar eclipsing an entire hotbar there is currently not enough keys to bind all moves, consumables, vehicles, and manage your companion. This discourages and punishes companion micro-management which lowers the skill-cap and converts challenges into frustrations. Possible (easy?) solutions:

a) Add more hotbars. Note: More is Better! If not:

b) Allow companion keys to be unlocked. The companion auto-attack is viable for most moves, excluding taunts, ccs, and heals. If the companion keys are unlockable then the 4th hotbar doesn't need to be eclipsed by all of the companion keys that are on auto-attack.

c) Add the additional hotbars as a scrollable hotbar off one of the visible bars. This still allows for keybinding.

-Previously mentioned customizability: being able to move around the hotbars, break individual keys away from the bar, change opacity and size of individual keys.

--------

These are secondary suggestions that would also improve character control or status acquisition

-Create a bind for targeting your focus (there is currently only "set focus" and "focus modifier"

-Target of Target; Target of Target of Target

-Larger animation displaying current target (with spell animations or red ground color the current target icon is sometimes very difficult to see beneath a toon's feet)

-Allowing binding of CAPS Lock (one of the most accessible keys is unbindable)

-Implement a companion movement move that displays the cursor as an aoe-target at the location of the companions destination. Currently you cant move them out of aoes.

-Persisting auto-attack preference for companion moves. Currently you must deactivate taunt/cc/etc. each time your companion reappears.

-Armor costume presets so that you can quickly change between sets of gear for varying situations.

--------

New suggestions introduced in this thread's responses:

-Improve tab-targeting (maybe make it more consistent) (pixxpixx)

-More distinct, noticable mouse-over art (slightlycampana)

-Allow CTRL and ALT to be bindable to mouse buttons (slightlycampana)

-Prevent companion mission completion from closing all other windows (Rayaleith)

-A winner: make an animation or popup display when conditions are met for dependent moves (UKAzzer)

-Increased customization of chat window and text (UKAzzer)

-Easier estimation of range from between toons (Eranus)

--------

This post is entirely unrelated to the topics of damage meters and/or user-generated mods.

I welcome discussion on the value of a functional, customizable UI. These changes would have dulled the grind of constant killing (as I wouldn't be staring at the edges of my screen) and yet seem to be quickly fixable. Maybe these improvements are being undervalued - how much does the UI impact your experience?

If you post a new suggestion I will add it to the previous list. Hopefully the developers will be able to decide between the best additions.

Edited by Solyp

I saw your post in the other thread, and this seems very plausible and constructive, well done sir! I'm not really qualified to comment in detail because I do not personally have issues with the UI (I play a lot of F2P, which pretty much all have worse UI than this), but this sounds pretty tight for those of you who dislike the current UI.

SUPPORT!

Also on a personal note, I don't know what it is about it but tab-targeting seems to have a different algorithm for selecting targets than most other MMO's I've ventured into. Maybe tweaking it or having a selectable algorithm for selecting target to make life a bit easier.

Nothing huge priority though.

Good post. Resizeable and moveable frames would be the single biggest help.

-Allow toon targeting by clicking on Nameplates

Reasoning: Currently toon hitboxes are relatively small and noticeably more difficult to click. If this is an intentional effort to reward FPS gameplay than at least I understand the implementation. But it's personally frustrating for accurate, quick pve or pvp targeting. Nameplates are much easier to click - simple solution.

I think what would also help is if the mouseover highlight was a bit more distinct - it's quite subtle and for me lags a little too.

-Target of Target; Target of Target of Target

I thought target of target was already in. As for Target of Target of Target..really? I've never seen this in a game before, what would be it's purpose? Seems a bit excessive...

Agree with most of the other stuff, although I haven't (yet) run out of hotbar spaces, but I can see that happening.

Probably my biggest gripe is the way SWTOR refuses to recognise when I bind mouse buttons 4 & 5 to Alt & Ctrl respectively...I use these keys as modifiers and and don't know how I'm going to manage as I get more and more skills. Probably going to have to buy a mouse with an on-board memory.

Pretty much sums up exactly what I'd like to see happen to the UI.

The tilde key (the one to the left of the 1 key on the top row) is also unbindable. I'd also like to see the return key and the number pad enter key functions separated.

But yeah - most imporantly, a resizable UI and more hotbars!!

I think what would also help is if the mouseover highlight was a bit more distinct - it's quite subtle and for me lags a little too.

Good call. For some reason the mouse target also changes into an icon without a defined center. Not helpful.

I thought target of target was already in. As for Target of Target of Target..really? I've never seen this in a game before, what would be it's purpose? Seems a bit excessive...

I have looked for target of target and been disappointed many times. I hope you're right though!

Examples of situations which utilize Target of Target of Target:

If you're a healer targeting a tank: that tank is targeting the deadly mob, yet the mob is targeting a squishy dps class. You'd want to know that the mob is targeting the dps so that you could switch to heal the more vulnerable dps player.

PvP DPS: So if you're dpsing one character - he is targeting your friendly teammate, but your teammate has a different opponent targeted. In group pvp it's usually effective to focus dps on a single target, so then you'd be able to tell you're not assissting.

If you're a dps class in a multi-enemy fight: your target is targeting the tank, however the tank is targeting a separate mob. You might want to switch to the mob that the tank is putting threat into, especially if it's at lower health.

Target of Target of Target was included in WoW mods and eventually the default UI.

Probably my biggest gripe is the way SWTOR refuses to recognise when I bind mouse buttons 4 & 5 to Alt & Ctrl respectively...I use these keys as modifiers and and don't know how I'm going to manage as I get more and more skills. Probably going to have to buy a mouse with an on-board memory.

I purchased a Razer gaming mouse that includes software to reassign the mouse buttons. I rebound the side buttons to ALT and CTRL. Very helpful.

The most important parts of the UI for me would be;

* UI scaling (at minimum an overall scale, ideally individual scales for everything)...

* Windows not being "Hard-coded" to two slots (left & right) - this would fix the issue of not being able to open 3 or more windows (eg character, inventory, auction... auction, inventory, crewskills...) and also allow us to move those windows around and bring particular windows to the front. I have a feeling this is actually a major job for them - it's pretty clear they've hard-coded the UI to a preset "2 slots", rather than any sort of modular window system.

* Extra hotbars - I want three hotbars at the bottom!

Other nice additions would be to;

* Give reactive abilities their own little popup (like other MMO's do - Rift's system was great) rather than having to rely on notice a tiny little buff pop up on our buff bar.

* Make the chat system more configurable and break the filters up into more clearly defined areas (it's really hard to know what particular chat filters actually allow/prevent).

* Allow opacity settings for the various aspects of the UI - all the way from 0% to 100%.

* Make the chat window frame clearer - it's really easy to accidentally get stuck "typing in chat" because you used click-targetting on something close to the chat window.

Edited by UKAzzer

Fantastic post, well reasoned, not a single whinge about mods; a bump for you good sir. Personally my biggest issue is the lack of ability to move and resize anything but the chat box, especially as some UI elements are situational - it ends up leaving you stuck with the exact layout you begin the game with. I'm not the type to go for a 100% "efficiency" setup, with all the information clustered within an inch of my character, but I still find myself sitting clicking away and wondering why the hell the Inventory window won't move for a few seconds until I remember, you can't move it.

Sign me up for your cause, I can only agree. And while I am at it, a few suggestions:

1) Allow for cooldowns to be displayed as numbers. Especially now it can be confusing if you have 1 minute, 10 seconds or nothing left on a skill - depending on it's general cooldown (between 20 min and none at all).

2) Allow "special" keybinds. Meaning: Cooperate with e.g. Logitech or the like to be able ot assign the "G" buttons on the keyboards to certain bars / abilities.

3) More coherrent "range" display for the distance between you and a target.