Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is RE broke?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Spero-Mcgee
02.08.2012 , 03:36 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Priam View Post
I've reverse engineered about 40 green bastion enhancement 22's today and still have not gained the blue schematic version. Normally takes less than 10 to get the blue.

If this was an intended change, you'd think it would have made it into the patch notes. Perhaps I just missed it.
Just curious but are you actually crafting with a companion that has very high or max affection with you? Also using a companion that has a bonus to crit crafting is more favorable. I don't know but I get the feeling alot of people are just crafting the item they want/need with 1-5 companions as long as they have the mats, even though their affection with certain companions are almost close to zero.

Quote: Originally Posted by Matty-Wan View Post
You guys are going to ruin this game... The RE chance should not be increased, it should be DECREASED. Try to think for one second about the market and not just your own instant gratification.
Just curious but what market? On my server rep side, theres hardly any crafting shemantic, crafting missions and any weapons or mods listed are all from dailies.
When I once made something for a random person on my server, he immediately asked me if he could befriend me because he could never see willpower implants on the GTN only strength. If the RE chance gets boosted, people will have more succes across the board with every craft, letting people sell their purple discoveries more easily.
The more people that can do this, the more the market gets used and the prices wont get jacked up to ridiculous. People might actually start enjoying crafting, making it worthwihile to place your mats on the GTN to sell so that others with excess creds can craft even more. 'Dunno about you but to me if my example actually is going to happen then that will make the market alive not ruin it. Heck there is no market to ruin atm, at least not on my server, could be different on yours of course.

DarthDemens
02.08.2012 , 03:38 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Spero-Mcgee View Post
Just curious but are you actually crafting with a companion that has very high or max affection with you? Also using a companion that has a bonus to crit crafting is more favorable. I don't know but I get the feeling alot of people are just crafting the item they want/need with 1-5 companions as long as they have the mats, even though their affection with certain companions are almost close to zero.
Affection has nothing to do with reverse engineering.
Oh, great . you live on in our hearts!
Comprehensive Guide to Space Missions

MithraKurn
02.08.2012 , 03:41 AM | #123
Don't think crafters are elite at all in this game. With the exception of Biochem most crafters don't really make anything of real value endgame. Mostly it will help you lvl and maybe give a boost to start raiding or hard flash points. The lvl 49 equip is pretty much useless right now as part of the crafting economy. I can make a lvl 40 purple and sell it for about the same profit as a lvl 49 on my server. I'm an armormech. Re the enforcer boots to superior cost me about 80 iron. Don't see anyway to make that type of money back. Can't sell a superior for 90k given that it takes 8 iron. I doubt anyone would pay for master to make up for the cost of superior. Just kinda disappointed all around with crafting in this game. If you put in the time there should be some type of reward at the end. My character makes his money selling mats and slicing.

Spero-Mcgee
02.08.2012 , 03:47 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDemens View Post
Affection has nothing to do with reverse engineering.
Im not talking about the RE itself, but if you companions crit craft and get an augment on them whatever, wouldnt that improve the RE chance? At least to me it would make sense, that a companion would take more care with his/her crafting when they like you more, hence whenever you RE an item made by that companion the chance should be higher than the same item made by a companion with a lower affection, imho.
But then I suppose by logic you could reason, that YOU are the one RE, but yeah I dunno.
If your skill is too low then you cant RE higher lvl items, but youre not the one with the skill but your companions. The RE system really makes no sense in this regard.

Tal-N
02.08.2012 , 04:30 AM | #125
I personally have no problem with the rate of the RE resulting in an upgraded schematic prior to this bug. In fact, it felt about right to be honest. As others have said, purples are supposed to be rare and if I have to craft 20 blues and RE them to get a purple schematic then I'm fine with that.

As for removing the problem where you learn a design by RE that you already know, I'm happy with that being changed.

Now maybe the devs can do something about the length of crafting jobs. It doesn't help the viability of crafters when you are trying to sell your goods direct and then when you get a request for an order you have to tell someone it'll take you an hour to make a single piece.

Can't you just allow two (or more) companions to work on the same crafting job and allow it to finish faster?

Jamus_Divinus
02.08.2012 , 04:33 AM | #126
Purples are supposed to be rare. It makes no sense to make them easier to get. Not everyone wants the easy option. Long term goals are ok in an MMO imo.
Star Wars Galaxies - Bria Server - April 2005- December 2011
200,000,000+ Mounts:192/206 Pets:170/178
Achievement points:26500 Ships mastered: 20/24

SalvorHardin
02.08.2012 , 04:36 AM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by PatrickMalott View Post
The reverse engineering return rate is not currently working as intended. In an upcoming patch, we are improving the reverse engineering rates especially for the higher-level items. We are also looking into the issue where a player receives "You already know that schematic" instead of learning a new research variation.

Patrick Malott
Systems Designer
Great news on the "You already know that schematic"...

Very bad news on the "improving the reverse engineering rates" !!!

This would be a slap in the face for us dedicated crafters. I started a thread about how RE'ing could be smoothed while not changing current success rates and that's all I would like to be changed.

Please don't give into the whiners. SWTOR is all about hiding the grind EXCEPT for crafting, to make sure the best crafted stuff could only came from real crafters. This was an intentional design choice and a good one too.
Arkadya <Ashes of the Order> - Jedi Shadow - Red Eclipse
Salvor <SY DE> - Hybrid Slinger - The Progenitor
Aldahir <SY DE> - Combat Sentinel - The Progenitor
Feex <SY DE> - Combat Medic Commando - The Progenitor

Headgun
02.08.2012 , 04:56 AM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by SalvorHardin View Post
Great news on the "You already know that schematic"...

Very bad news on the "improving the reverse engineering rates" !!!
/signed
Insanica, Healing Operative 50

Fubbik
02.08.2012 , 05:13 AM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by ZudetGambeous View Post
Prices for items have been on gradual decrease over the past few weeks. You guys are always talking about your metrics, try looking at them. As more people have been learning the schematics the prices continue to fall. The markets are already saturating because these "epic" items are really easy to craft and will soon be as common as blues and greens if not more common.

In addition, by increasing the RE chance you will put an even greater strain on the Mission professions to provide the mats to create all these newly discovered purple items. The inflation on these mission items is already getting out of hand. On the Jedi Covenant server the TH tier 6 purple gems are selling for 25k a pop. It takes 4 of them to craft any of the epic items that use them (2 for offhands) and those finished products which also take other materials only sell for about 50k due to the abundance of people selling them.

Yep I have to take a 50k loss per item (at market value, I can acquire the mats myself for cheaper, but why not just sell the mats then) to sell the items that you claim have "too low" a proc chance. If anything, if you want to improve the long term stability of the economy you will cut the rates even further, not increase them.
You are making no sense whatsoever. Try learning the basics of supply and demand first please. If there is such a demand for the mats, then don't make the bloody items with a loss, seriously. You don't gain any points or achievements for being poor at business.
If you can't find products to sell for a profit, due to the "value" of the mats, then that's a totally different issue and has nothing to do with RE-chance.

An example would be the currently inflated prices of Bio-mats to feed the players powerleveling their skill to 400 in order to use the reusables. This has a sideeffect of high inflation on implant pricing, which might make them impossible to sell in the end.

bo-zo
02.08.2012 , 05:28 AM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by ZudetGambeous View Post
Prices for items have been on gradual decrease over the past few weeks. You guys are always talking about your metrics, try looking at them. As more people have been learning the schematics the prices continue to fall. The markets are already saturating because these "epic" items are really easy to craft and will soon be as common as blues and greens if not more common.
Prices have been steadily lowering because endgame crafts are not competitive even with easily accessible gear. Why spend 50k to get a 22 epic lightsaber hilt when you can buy a 23 with a handful of daily commendations? Why spend 50k on a 22 epic enhancement when everyone can get one every day from a heroic quest?

Endgame crafting is, at the moment, broken.