Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Was Darth Maul a sneaky sneak or squishy magician??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Was Darth Maul a sneaky sneak or squishy magician??

Jezzah
01.19.2012 , 08:45 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkestDaemon View Post
I read up the wookiepedia article on Maul.

He uses Force Lightning as well, I think in a comic or etc.

So, yep, he's an Assassin.

He didnt,

He could resist force lightning....

Luckmann
01.19.2012 , 08:48 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkestDaemon View Post
I read up the wookiepedia article on Maul.

He uses Force Lightning as well, I think in a comic or etc.

So, yep, he's an Assassin.
Strictly speaking, anyone could use (or learn to use) Force Lightning. You shouldn't let game mechanics confuse the lore and background.

Except possibly Darth Vader, what with his cybernetics, he supposedly had some issues with Force Lightning.
Bevier, Knight of the EmpireLord Calypso, EU RP-PvP
WTB Jedi Battlelord's Chestguard, Greaves, Boots & Handgear.

itstoasted
01.19.2012 , 08:54 AM | #23
vader lost most of his connection to the force when he lost his limbs and lungs and what not...

if you watch... the episode about darth mauls brother in clone wars.. I am pretty sure he is more like a mix of juggernaught marauder and assasin, but either way... to the topic of force cloak..

I am pretty sure obi-wan used something like force cloak to hide himself while he deactivated the tractor beam of the death star.. but yeah... he again is a warrior xD

SLIMDOGGIE
01.19.2012 , 05:12 PM | #24
My point is, I want my Knight/Warrior to use a DBLS for intense melee combat. Like Darth Maul. The motions, mechanics, and mathematics are already in the game, just add them to those classes. It's the same as having a very powerful one handed saber. (stat wise) And the motions are obviously the same as Inq/Cons. Just do it!!!!
-SLiM

SLIMDOGGIE
01.19.2012 , 05:14 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post
You are all wrong. Darth Maul was a Marauder through and through. His job was to assassinate, but his role was more of a Marauder. His saber moves were extremely impressive (unlike the way the game has you using a Saberstaff.) He was a fighter, not a sneaker. He was indeed raw power and only had force push and force pull as known force abilities. Not invisibility, not Force Lightning. His moves with the saberstaff and lightsaber were impressive. Unlike this game's version of saberstaff moves.
Exactly what I mean.
-SLiM

SLIMDOGGIE
01.19.2012 , 05:22 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Pestilience View Post
I'd personally be all for loosening the weapon restrictions a bit. Let force users pick and choose the sabers they use to a point. Or the biggie, *** my bounty hunter can only use a blaster pistol single or DW? When the lore of the whole class revolves around some very nasty bounty hunters that used all sorts of weapons. They were as close to weapon masters as a class in Star Wars can get. At least give us rifles.
And a ranking officer, be it Trooper or Agent, can't pull out a side arm when the big gun is too much? It's crap. And I didn't even consider Bounty Hunters yet. They should be able to use anything (excluding light sabers of course). Because that is the lore. "This here is Brutus the BH, he eats only what he kills and he only kills with his trusty, rusty knife." IMO they have ravaged even the BHs down to mere cowboys and indians.
-SLiM

Norumaniac
01.19.2012 , 06:11 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by SLIMDOGGIE View Post
Firstly I would like to mention your opinion is valid.

Secondly, they should be able to use blasters, just not as effectively. I want DBLS ation and medium armor. And if i feel like it, heavy armor. It is not unreasonable. It is a time of unknown and unlimited possibility. I'd appriciate a reflection of that.
It'd be reasonable... For a single player game, of course.

If you plan on having a MMO game, at some point you have to restrict stuff. Just imagine, how many different classes you'd have to desing?

Jedi with blaster
Jedi with one LS
Jedi with two LS
Jedi with double LS
Jedi that dual weild a single LS and a double LS (like the dude in the opening)
Jedi with one LS that uses force attacks mostly (like a Sage)

Of course, every class could choose every piece of armor as well...

Imagine loot, imagine rolling for a piece that everyone in the raid could use.

Hambunctious
01.19.2012 , 06:15 PM | #28
In the movies, Maul was a marauder who used a double lightsaber, no doubt about it. Whatever garbage someone made up about him outside the movies doesn't have any bearing on it.

Rhyltran
01.19.2012 , 07:37 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by SLIMDOGGIE View Post
So...

Why is it that as a Jedi Knght/Sith Warrior I am not allowed to use a double sided saber to deal massive damage? In every other game I've ever played, including KOTOR 1 & 2, the double bladed saber deals more damage attacks slower ect ect, but it looks cool, deals big damage, and it looks cool. (Thats right I said it twice) Just saying I am frustrated that I am allowed to choose the story in cookie cutter fashion maybe I want to use two sabers one day and then a double bladded another day. Depends on my mission. What ever happened to shaping my own destiny? I can use a double bladed saber if I want to be a sneaky assasin or shadow, or a force wielding sage or sorcerer. What about Darth Maul? He was a total bad A and he used raw power, not sneaky tactics and magic rocks. And I don't see how game mechanics would even seriously change much at all.. it would be like having one saber thats on steroids. I understand there are limitations to what people can do.. but this is clearly an oversight and I want to make some noise.

SWTOR, Please let melee Warriors/Knights use double bladed sabers. It's only right.

I'm open to criticism but not ignorance.
Because it's a game but if you want to get technical Maul was an assassin. In game terms he'd be an assassin tank. In lore he was originally on naboo to assassinate Padme. This is confirmed in the complete visionary dictionary. In the novel about him he does a lot of hunting and sneaking around. He is primarily an assassin.

Iaius
01.19.2012 , 07:44 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Hambunctious View Post
In the movies, Maul was a marauder who used a double lightsaber, no doubt about it. Whatever garbage someone made up about him outside the movies doesn't have any bearing on it.
"Marauder" is "garbage made up [. . . ] outside the movies" you know.