Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Was Darth Maul a sneaky sneak or squishy magician??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Was Darth Maul a sneaky sneak or squishy magician??

Wraiven
01.19.2012 , 03:28 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Zalanox View Post
Darth Maul is an Assassin. The devs used him as the blueprint for the Assassin class. Hell, the inquisitor's regen ability animation is taken directly from one of his scenes during the duel on Naboo.

Marauder design never had anything to do with Maul. You only choose to see it that way because you want a saberstaff on your Marauder.
You show me...at any part of the movie, where Darth Maul went invisible, used force lightning, couldn't use leap attack (ie jumping high distances) or could not use force push or force pull?

I think it is you who sees what you want to see.
Republic: Krulex (Shadow) Kn (Guardian) Krll (Sentinel) Wanatrime (Vanguard)
Imperial: Wraiven (Assassin) Krullous (Marauder) Krawl (Jugg) Xin (Jugg)
♠♠♠ The Soulstalker Legacy ♠♠♠
-FIGHT-

DarkestDaemon
01.19.2012 , 03:35 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post
You show me...at any part of the movie, where Darth Maul went invisible, used force lightning, couldn't use leap attack (ie jumping high distances) or could not use force push or force pull?

I think it is you who sees what you want to see.
I think you don't know the motto of MMO RPers and lore-fans everywhere:

Game mechanics =/= lore.

To put it simply, Assassins in game use all of these abilities but that doesn't necessarily mean in other settings they will.

Vader is a good example. He never once jumped through the air as a Sith Lord to knock an opponent down.

Palpatine is a good example. He never once placed a sphere of electricity around his body to protect himself.

Yoda is another good example. Sages can't jump around the room like crazy and excel in hand-to-hand combat.

I don't think Han ever used thermal grenades, dual-wielded blasters or used a vibroknife.

No Sith Warrior or Jedi Knight has ever cloaked themselves with the Force to vanish from combat and protect themselves in the movies.

Jango and Boba could use jetpacks whenever they wanted. Bounty Hunters can only use them for select moves.

Put simply, just because Maul uses abilities we don't see Assassins using in game doesn't mean he's not an Assassin. The saber he uses is clue enough.

Pestilience
01.19.2012 , 04:07 AM | #13
I'd personally be all for loosening the weapon restrictions a bit. Let force users pick and choose the sabers they use to a point. Or the biggie, *** my bounty hunter can only use a blaster pistol single or DW? When the lore of the whole class revolves around some very nasty bounty hunters that used all sorts of weapons. They were as close to weapon masters as a class in Star Wars can get. At least give us rifles.

Haajib
01.19.2012 , 04:26 AM | #14
maul was a maruder, not an assasin, acording to the lore

NomineImperator
01.19.2012 , 05:28 AM | #15
I'm not convinced that Darth Maul wouldn't be classed as a 'assassin' as far as SWTOR is concerned. Now, in the LORE itself he might not be quite what an assassin is in SWTOR, but just take Darth Maul from the movie and compare him to your average assassin.

The way I see it is-

-Darth Maul fights with double bladed lightsabers.

-He wears cloth, not armor.

-Many of the animations of the Sith Assassin seem to intentionally take after him (Such as Seethe)

As far as him NOT being an assassin?

-He doesn't stealth.

-No force lightning.

The last one of those isn't even particularly right since other than the instant force shock and putting lightning on their blades, assassins don't use force lightning either.

Concerning the first point, there have been times (usually in PVP) where I go in without using stealth since unless you are planning on using your from-stealth knockback, none of the Assassin/Shadow melee attacks hinge on you being in stealth.

Ultimately it doesn't matter at all, but at least the way I'm looking at it, seems the simple points lean in favor of him being more assassin-like than marauder-like.

Lazzerswords
01.19.2012 , 05:32 AM | #16
Darth Maul exists in a time when sith lore is almost dead. He probably is neither-he has whatever little sith knowledge Darth Sidious decided to teach him ( keeping some things secret)

He probably not close to an inquisitor, because in the movie he makes no decisions, only fights like a trained animal. ( probably an attempt by Lucas to make him seem menacing, but makes him comes off as 1 dimensional.)

DarkestDaemon
01.19.2012 , 08:34 AM | #17
I read up the wookiepedia article on Maul.

He uses Force Lightning as well, I think in a comic or etc.

So, yep, he's an Assassin.

Luckmann
01.19.2012 , 08:37 AM | #18
Darth Maul was definitely an Assassin.
Most of the entire Assassin AC is built around the concept of Darth Maul.

A Darkness-specced Assassin, I would say.
Bevier, Knight of the EmpireLord Calypso, EU RP-PvP
WTB Jedi Battlelord's Chestguard, Greaves, Boots & Handgear.

Reigha
01.19.2012 , 08:37 AM | #19
He got cut in half in a oneshot so definantly squishy
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

DarkestDaemon
01.19.2012 , 08:42 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Reigha View Post
He got cut in half in a oneshot so definantly squishy
Then he came back for revenge with cyborg parts.

And still got schooled by Old Ben.