Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Class - Very Long/Detailed/Thought Out

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
New Class - Very Long/Detailed/Thought Out

Leiloni
01.20.2012 , 10:58 AM | #41
Apparently they just added a suggestion forum, like minutes after I posted above that we need it lol. http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=349
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1753652#edit1753270

Bankingclan
01.20.2012 , 11:02 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Leiloni View Post
Apparently they just added a suggestion forum, like minutes after I posted above that we need it lol. http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=349
Hmmmm... I suppose it would be optimal to move the thread.... maybe we should wait for the ZOMG IT IS SUGGESTION BOX ME HAVE IDEA frenzy to die down, so that we dont get pushed down in the pages?

Leiloni
01.20.2012 , 12:22 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Bankingclan View Post
Hmmmm... I suppose it would be optimal to move the thread.... maybe we should wait for the ZOMG IT IS SUGGESTION BOX ME HAVE IDEA frenzy to die down, so that we dont get pushed down in the pages?
Mmm, good idea. We'll still have to so some rating and shameless bumping to keep it at the top though!
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1753652#edit1753270

Bankingclan
01.20.2012 , 01:41 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Leiloni View Post
Mmm, good idea. We'll still have to so some rating and shameless bumping to keep it at the top though!
Shameless bump !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kdebones
01.20.2012 , 02:26 PM | #45
Yeah, I think it's better we let the Suggestion Forum die down a bit (a few days or so) and then see if I can get a Mod or someone to move this over. In the mean time, while I have a book to read over the weekend and need to finish learning the Neverwinter Nights Toolset tools, I'm going to see if I can't come up with the Base Class abilities. I have a fair understanding of what it's going to entail, but I still have to look and compare it to the existing classes Base Abilities. We'll see how it goes from there.

Also, would it be easier to navigate or would it be less impressive if I were to put separate everything into spoiler boxes? I mean, it would help with the clutter, but overall I've had people be less interested with the lack of information overload.

bobudo
01.20.2012 , 02:43 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by kdebones View Post
The Idea - Trooper: Pretty much, the one thing we don't really see on the Imperial side are the Troopers; sure, they're great quest givers, but it's usually "Oh my men got killed!" or "Oh it'll take a whole platoon!" No. Look at the Commando on the Republic side. They're pretty gosh darn kick-*** aren't they? Why are our guys just cannon fodder? That doesn't sit well with me or the men and woman out there getting one shot by punks with lightsabers!
I'm not sure if anyone else said this, but conceptually, the non-force classes are opposite mirrors of each other.

The Trooper's position is analogous to the Agent - the best of the best, high ranking, afforded high operational freedom within the military command structure, etc.

Sure, the Agent is more of a spy, and the Trooper is more of a soldier, but effectively they're both Spec Ops.

On the flip-side, the Bounty Hunter and the Smuggler have a lot of similarities. Both flirt with the criminal element, both exist outside the formal structures of their faction, both value freedom and credits over everything else, etc. etc.

Just saying
Bioware hates healing such that they won't take any healing problems seriously. Support your local healers. Boycott the Patch 1.2 Healing Nerfs. Make it clear to the Devs that their idea of "balance" is unacceptable. Unsubscribe Today

Bankingclan
01.20.2012 , 02:48 PM | #47
Yeah, I think it's better we let the Suggestion Forum die down a bit (a few days or so) and then see if I can get a Mod or someone to move this over. In the mean time, while I have a book to read over the weekend and need to finish learning the Neverwinter Nights Toolset tools, I'm going to see if I can't come up with the Base Class abilities. I have a fair understanding of what it's going to entail, but I still have to look and compare it to the existing classes Base Abilities. We'll see how it goes from there.
A couple of ideas:

pepper spray - accuracy debuff, short range. Branches into the confinement tree when you can maybe get a talent to give it/increase its damage. For the technician, there would be oportunities to buff the acurracy drop, kind of an OH CRAP button. If not, they can take this off their hotbar.

Thrust - moderate damage that provides a moderate damage debuff effect, again technicians dont really benefit from this later on, although I suppose they could have it buffed from say melee range to 10 yds? Riot guards can make use of this. Average type cooldown, to pop when the bleed wears off or when some extra damage is needed to finish someone off.

Teargas probe - a casted spell that later becomes instant to riot troopers as their kind of 'ranged damage-like force push, saber throw etc'. Sends out a probe with a dot that does more damage the more debuffs you have on the target, when it is cast it transforms into teargas detonation, a high damage attack with a small stun that pops an otherwise non existant cooldown on the ability (obviously a good tactic would be to detonate when the dot was about to run out). This gives people a choice, whether to go for burst damage or sustained damage over time. It becomes a good spell for both ACs later on, although many riot guards may prefer to use the electrostaff a lot more than tech?

Taze - Essentially the CC of the imperial trooper, a tazer dart is fired from the front of the staff and gives a stun lasting for about 30-40 seconds. Short casting time.

YAY brainstorming!

Bankingclan
01.20.2012 , 02:51 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by bobudo View Post
I'm not sure if anyone else said this, but conceptually, the non-force classes are opposite mirrors of each other.

The Trooper's position is analogous to the Agent - the best of the best, high ranking, afforded high operational freedom within the military command structure, etc.

Sure, the Agent is more of a spy, and the Trooper is more of a soldier, but effectively they're both Spec Ops.

On the flip-side, the Bounty Hunter and the Smuggler have a lot of similarities. Both flirt with the criminal element, both exist outside the formal structures of their faction, both value freedom and credits over everything else, etc. etc.

Just saying
I had an idea that the republic mirror would be a kind of police officer/ law enforcement person, I posted about it on page 3 I think.

Do you like the ideas that have come up other than this so far though? Any support is appreciated.

kdebones
01.20.2012 , 03:32 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Bankingclan View Post
A couple of ideas:

pepper spray - accuracy debuff, short range. Branches into the confinement tree when you can maybe get a talent to give it/increase its damage. For the technician, there would be oportunities to buff the acurracy drop, kind of an OH CRAP button. If not, they can take this off their hotbar.

Thrust - moderate damage that provides a moderate damage debuff effect, again technicians dont really benefit from this later on, although I suppose they could have it buffed from say melee range to 10 yds? Riot guards can make use of this. Average type cooldown, to pop when the bleed wears off or when some extra damage is needed to finish someone off.

Teargas probe - a casted spell that later becomes instant to riot troopers as their kind of 'ranged damage-like force push, saber throw etc'. Sends out a probe with a dot that does more damage the more debuffs you have on the target, when it is cast it transforms into teargas detonation, a high damage attack with a small stun that pops an otherwise non existant cooldown on the ability (obviously a good tactic would be to detonate when the dot was about to run out). This gives people a choice, whether to go for burst damage or sustained damage over time. It becomes a good spell for both ACs later on, although many riot guards may prefer to use the electrostaff a lot more than tech?

Taze - Essentially the CC of the imperial trooper, a tazer dart is fired from the front of the staff and gives a stun lasting for about 30-40 seconds. Short casting time.

YAY brainstorming!

Still coming up with the ideas, but just about everything you said are on the block to be incorporated (at least in the first 10 levels-ish).

As to what Bobudo said, I don't really see it that way. The Imperial Agent is far from the Troopers position. The Trooper can (and probably does) go up to being a General. The Agent is behind the scenes influencing the battle. The Trooper has a Rank, the Agent is a shadow in the darkness that no one is supposed to see. It's far from being analogues. And if it's an issue of "No counter-class" well no duh, that has to be designed with this; and as Banking said, the idea of an Law Enforcement-type of class who goes about and does the dirty work (possibly SIS related) for the Republic is the most probably counter-class, branching off into "Enforcer" and "Engineer"

ENOUGH THEORY CRAFTING I WANT TO SHOOT PEOPLE AND LIGHT SABER GUYS!!!!

bobudo
01.20.2012 , 04:00 PM | #50
The Trooper has a Rank, the Agent is a shadow in the darkness that no one is supposed to see.
That's actually always true.

The Agent is repeatedly referred to by military personnel as an officer - though I don't recall whether or not this is true after the designation of Cipher.

But there are several times where the Cipher is expected to be overt. During Act 1, Keeper tells the Agent to use his position within Imperial Intelligence to scare the Imperials and achieve his objectives.

I'm not disagreeing with your point that Spies and Spec Ops are different, I'm just saying that there are some significant similarities as well.
Bioware hates healing such that they won't take any healing problems seriously. Support your local healers. Boycott the Patch 1.2 Healing Nerfs. Make it clear to the Devs that their idea of "balance" is unacceptable. Unsubscribe Today