Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Every 2 mins the game freezes for 5-25secs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Every 2 mins the game freezes for 5-25secs
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Maephur
12.14.2011 , 01:29 PM | #1
Hello,

Every 2 mins the game freezes for 5-25secs.

This happens when actively playing, during character creation, during cut scenes... whenever the game is open.

Most of these types of problems are associated to graphics, so I made sure to install the latest drivers from ATI before running the game (v8.911.0.0).
I have an ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB graphics card, i7960 CPU, 12GB RAM, plenty of SSD hard drive space, and runing Win7x64. So plenty of performance available.

Is the game just buggy or would there be a game option setting that I could use?

Thanks for any feedback.
Been waiting to play this game and would hate to dump it.

Conveeyor
12.14.2011 , 01:42 PM | #2 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Please make sure that your energy setting do not interfere with your game performance.

You would like to try to close any other applications running in the background before starting Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Make sure that your pagefile is set to the right size (1.5 times your systems memory) and put this value into both minimun and maximum size.

Also check if there are any system services like volume shadow copies activated. And we would recommend you to do a disk cleanup too.

When you still experience the problem it maybe an issue with your SSD - you should then try to move the installation to a normal hard disk.

Please let us know, if any of these advices helps with your issues. Thank you.

Conveeyor | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Maephur
12.15.2011 , 07:38 PM | #3
Confirmed page file correctly setup as defined
I have uninstalled and am starting to reinstall using the run as Administrator option to see if that helps (saw this as a possible resolution on a site while searching for resolution).
Still installing to the SSD drive which has been and is reliable for all other applications/games running on it.
I will try installing to another drive if all other avenues prove useless.

You can search the forums using google, and i did using the search term: freeze site:http://www.swtor.com/community
and found one helpful post:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...?t=8765&page=2

So if the reinstall doesn't help, I am going to use the msconfig option to see if it's a service that is causing this problem.

Maephur
12.16.2011 , 09:09 AM | #4
This is related to Ticket Number 866618.
Steps that I have taken so far without any fix:
1. Reinstalled, this time using the Run as Administrator option in Windows 7 and runnin the game with the same option.
2. Disabled all non-Windows services using MSCONFIG, this did not include my system monitoring services (ie. McAfee).
3. Uninstall all system monitoring applications (ie. McAfee).
4. Disabled all sound devices.
5. Reinstalled ATI graphics drivers.

So with all of this done, there was no resolution.
I have re-installed my system monitoring applications, re-enabled my sound devices, and re-enabled the other non-Windows services.
I am now going to see if the problem is with installing to my SSD drive by installing to my secondary HDD drive.

frankja
12.16.2011 , 09:52 AM | #5
Is your computer part of a domain? If so, check out my thread over here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...607#post364607

Maephur
12.16.2011 , 02:53 PM | #6
Thank you frankja!
That was the cause of this problem.
Odd bug with the game client... why is it trying to retrieve information from my domain... hrmm... *cough*spyware*cough*