Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Sith warrior story fail, Malavai Quinn

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Sith warrior story fail, Malavai Quinn

Soteirian's Avatar


Soteirian
05.15.2012 , 10:33 PM | #301
I agree. No matter how you fix this, people will find something to complain.

What I would have liked to see was some cut scene in the Baras fight that affirms Quinn's current loyalty to you. The Sith Inquisitor cut scene in Chapter 1 has scene where Khem took a hit for you. They could have done something similar. Like at some point Baras made a final attempt to strike you with lightening and Quinn runs in and take the blow instead. They could have the SW reacts very fast and so the strike was interrupted (and thus doesn't not kill Quinn), but enough to show that Quinn will die for you. That way they won't need to change the game too much. Just add a 5 sec cut scene and it will make a huge difference for a lot of people.

ekimmak's Avatar


ekimmak
05.15.2012 , 10:34 PM | #302
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
G. Quinn incapacitates the companion.
QUINN: Baras and I have been planning this for some time. You'll have to face this fight alone, my lord. go to DIALOGUE 4 above
Wait, he can incapacitate a companion, but doesn't think of doing it to the warrior? He really is an idiot.
Best way to end Smuggler Act 1 is
Spoiler

You can't make up stuff like that.

ekimmak's Avatar


ekimmak
05.15.2012 , 10:41 PM | #303
Quote: Originally Posted by Soteirian View Post
Like at some point Baras made a final attempt to strike you with lightening and Quinn runs in and take the blow instead. They could have the SW reacts very fast and so the strike was interrupted (and thus doesn't not kill Quinn), but enough to show that Quinn will die for you. That way they won't need to change the game too much. Just add a 5 sec cut scene and it will make a huge difference for a lot of people.
Hell yeah! I always thought they needed a scene like Zeke got in Infamous 2.

Spoiler


Having a scene like this back on the station would be brilliant.

You leave Quinn for dead, and on your way out, Baras reveals he had a backup. Say, dropping you in a pit with Snipers in cover at the edge. They peg you with bolts until you're in, say, 30% health, then Quinn shows up out of nowhere, and either takes them out himself, or heals you and makes an exit for you.

A DS choice would be to say "This changes nothing, traitor". The neutral choice would be that he has to re-earn your trust, and the LS choice is to forgive him then(assuming that you didn't pick that in the first convesration. If you did, then he still saves you, but you get to say "I'm glad I gave you a second chance").
Best way to end Smuggler Act 1 is
Spoiler

You can't make up stuff like that.

Ismaire's Avatar


Ismaire
05.15.2012 , 10:46 PM | #304
Quote: Originally Posted by Soteirian View Post
To me, Quinn's decision to side with Baras is completely inline with his personality and values. I don't think Baras needed to do mind control.
Oh, I agree; I never said otherwise. I just said Baras may have amplified any ill-will Quinn had towards the other companions during the betrayal, which is why he acts so openly hostile to them (usually, he'll just complain to the Warrior in private).

As for finishing the romance before the betrayal... I did that, and thought it flowed okay, oddly enough. Why, you ask? Because of the aforementioned post-romance letter, the one about Quinn preferring to die by the Warrior's side, rather than being stuck at a desk job. If read in hindsight, I interpret it as him wanting to die by the Warrior's hand, rather than betray them.

And for some who is usually so competent and has saved the Warrior a couple of times (Balmorra and Taris comes to mind), Quinn's assassination attempt really does seem half-hearted. (Droids? Really? I can CC those!) So yes, I am one of those who considers his betrayal a suicide attempt, of sorts. (And that might also explain why he's so nasty to the other companions accompanying the Warrior; if he's going to die anyways, might as well tell them how he really feels...)

But as always, Quinn underestimates the Warrior, and realizes he's going to live with the concequences... (Which is kind of ruined without the option to kill him, but that why I think the kill scene from the beta should be rewritten to a torture and/or demotion scene instead. :P)

Kalterien's Avatar


Kalterien
05.15.2012 , 11:18 PM | #305
One thing that had me thinking the whole time even before I played through the story line, mostly because I accidently spoiled it for myself is if he was really that serious about killing the SW, there were easier ways to do poisonings, shooting him or her in the head while they were sleeping... things like that.

I know, I know, it would make for bad story telling but it makes me think sometimes that maybe, just maybe Quinn just didn't have the heart (heh) to actually commit murder by droid.

The whole movie-mafia spin on the situation does make a lot of sense too though. And now I have silly mental images of Baras as Don Carlone or however you spell his name.

I've mentioned this before but what I want is something for those of us who missed the scene on Corellia with Quinn because we were too busy running around with our healer instead of another companion. As it stands on my first SW, Quinn is still in the doghouse with his wife, who didn't marry him until AFTER Baras was dead, atleast I think it was after I don't actually remember to be honest.

Though locking those last few companion conversations would be good considering that I remember blowing through all of one LI's stuff after I got him at the end of Hoth and before I even finished Voss. Granted, I had a lot of presents just sitting in my cargo bay just itching to be used.

@ Ephemera:
Thanks for putting that dialogue tree together. If I remember correctly the one option in the post fight "don't be too hard on yourself" went something along the lines of "It was a valient attempt. The droids really pushed me."

Soteirian's Avatar


Soteirian
05.15.2012 , 11:29 PM | #306
Quote: Originally Posted by Ismaire View Post
And for some who is usually so competent and has saved the Warrior a couple of times (Balmorra and Taris comes to mind), Quinn's assassination attempt really does seem half-hearted. (Droids? Really? I can CC those!) So yes, I am one of those who considers his betrayal a suicide attempt, of sorts. (And that might also explain why he's so nasty to the other companions accompanying the Warrior; if he's going to die anyways, might as well tell them how he really feels...)
This is the piece that I have a lot of hard time reconciling. Of all the ways, 2 droids? Seriously? And as ekimmak called out, he can incapacitate the companions with one button push, but can't do that with the SW? So odd.

I have a hard time considering it a suicide attempt. Mainly because he offered Jaesa and Broonmark to join him to serve Baras afterwards. Doesn't make sense if he was expecting to die. It seems to me that by this time he was indeed compromised. Everything he feared about his relationship with the SW has come true. Because of his feeling for the SW, when it comes to time to execute his mission (ala kill the SW) his judgement was clouded and he was not effective at his job.

The irony of the whole thing is, his job performance was only compromised when it's to harm the SW (he's not compromised in the least bit when it comes to battling others). Except at the end of the day, it never had to become an issue if he had just sided with the right team to begin with. To me, the SW story is very much a story of Quinn learning his true destiny and place in the world as well.

ekimmak's Avatar


ekimmak
05.15.2012 , 11:50 PM | #307
[QUOTE=Soteirian;4385181]And as ekimmak called out, he can incapacitate the companions with one button push, but can't do that with the SW? So odd.
[QUOTE]
It struck me later after the post that the same happened earlier, on Tatooine, but looking at your post reminded me:
Back then, you have a droid, a slave, and an imperial officer. They aren't force users. You are. So, force tricks that knock them out won't do anything to you.

Malavai has no excuse, considering he can take out Jaesa.
Best way to end Smuggler Act 1 is
Spoiler

You can't make up stuff like that.

bright_ephemera's Avatar


bright_ephemera
05.16.2012 , 12:27 AM | #308
Quote: Originally Posted by ekimmak View Post
Wait, he can incapacitate a companion, but doesn't think of doing it to the warrior? He really is an idiot.
Ummm...he implanted a chip in everybody else's heads while they were asleep, allowing a special frequency to knock them out so he could face you on what he would consider even terms?

Yeah, I've got nothing.

I edited the scene script to fill in some gaps. Most importantly, I located the dialogue for the Dialogue 7 neutral and LS answers that exactly one person on the entirety of Youtube even clicked.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Ismaire's Avatar


Ismaire
05.16.2012 , 12:33 AM | #309
Quote: Originally Posted by Soteirian View Post
I have a hard time considering it a suicide attempt. Mainly because he offered Jaesa and Broonmark to join him to serve Baras afterwards. Doesn't make sense if he was expecting to die. It seems to me that by this time he was indeed compromised. Everything he feared about his relationship with the SW has come true. Because of his feeling for the SW, when it comes to time to execute his mission (ala kill the SW) his judgement was clouded and he was not effective at his job.
Hmm, that's a good point. I had forgotten that Quinn offered Jaesa and Broonmark to join Baras, having only seen those versions of the betrayal recently. (I suppose you could say he was trying to make a convincing show of it, but that doesn't completely explain it away.)

Kalterien's Avatar


Kalterien
05.16.2012 , 12:52 AM | #310
Quote: Originally Posted by Ismaire View Post
Hmm, that's a good point. I had forgotten that Quinn offered Jaesa and Broonmark to join Baras, having only seen those versions of the betrayal recently. (I suppose you could say he was trying to make a convincing show of it, but that doesn't completely explain it away.)
I do love how the scene has a different feel depending on whether you brought Quinn or another companion with you. One thing that it does do is it makes it easier to keep the whole thing secret if that's what you choose if you go "solo". If you do go solo the whole "death by Sith" theory might hold up, maybe, but either way he's definitely compromised in some way in regards to dealing with his current predicament.