Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sith warrior story fail, Malavai Quinn

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Sith warrior story fail, Malavai Quinn

bright_ephemera
05.15.2012 , 12:03 PM | #281
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalterien View Post
@bright_ephemera
Found you a youtube link for that scene about debts with Baras:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ZUn...feature=relmfu

Hope that helps some.
That scene drives me nuts, if only because the SW accuses Quinn of rugged good looks. If a five o' clock shadow alone constituted rugged good looks...well, the world would be a pretty handsome place. Spend a few minutes considering Harrison Ford or Robert Redford, then get back to me. Fools. I'll give Quinn "classic," okay? Hrmph.

Grumble grumble. I bet a man wrote that line.

I thought there was a literal "more than you can imagine" debt statement somewhere, possibly in the late-game confrontation, and I'd love to hear how Quinn delivers it.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Kalterien
05.15.2012 , 12:23 PM | #282
Ephemera:

Found a couple of scenes for you .. first one male SW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRaKt...eature=related there's some game play in this one so just skip to about 2minutes in.

Here's one with a female SW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvVHArBc27M Go into about 50secs and start from there.

I have a vague recollection of the line you're saying, in fact I remember Quinn saying something to that effect but I haven't been able to find it on Youtube, nor did I make a recording of it like I thought. Sadly, a second SW is low on my list to play through since I have pretty much over half the classes still to do.

JediElf
05.15.2012 , 12:29 PM | #283
It's so fascinating how polarizing his character has become. Really I talked about him on the fleet, and with a small guild I'm a part of, and folks were, as well, completely divided between all consuming hatred, or complete mercy.

It was nearly an even split between...

The folks like me who took lite side points and forgave him, and the folks who took the dark side points and force choked him, with no one taking the no alignment option.

Seriously I think this is awesome, I hope the writers build on this.
Beware the Jawa Sith!
SGRA FAQ! Check it out!

bright_ephemera
05.15.2012 , 12:56 PM | #284
Ephemera:

Found a couple of scenes for you .. first one male SW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRaKt...eature=related there's some game play in this one so just skip to about 2minutes in.

Here's one with a female SW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvVHArBc27M Go into about 50secs and start from there.
Fascinating! I had never heard the "Baras has always been the anchor of my career and, in my opinion, of the Empire" line from that first one before.

The second one reminded me - Quinn does say "sorry," once in the game, to whatever companion you're with during the big scene. Even Pierce gets a deeply ironic apology. No love for the Warrior herself, though.

Quote: Originally Posted by JediElf View Post
It's so fascinating how polarizing his character has become. Really I talked about him on the fleet, and with a small guild I'm a part of, and folks were, as well, completely divided between all consuming hatred, or complete mercy.
After considering these threads I think there might have been a way I could've not come to hate him with every fiber of my being. If I had taken things a little more slowly, and possibly not both created and power leveled the character just to get to know him, events might've happened in a different order (particularly the last few conversations vs. the big scene) and I might not have been quite so invested.

Well, too late to fix that one. It's just this vicious self-reinforcing cycle now: 'Love' is too weak a word. I lurve him. I loave him. I luff him, two f's. I...I hate everything about him. I wish he was dead. I wish I had never met him. Dammit, I love him. And around it goes.

I'm dying for my friends to get to this. They all know something big goes down, because I couldn't restrain myself entirely; I just wish they could get to that part of the story themselves! But noooo, it's all Bounty Hunter and Knight and Trooper. Bah.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

Ismaire
05.15.2012 , 01:57 PM | #285
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
I'm dying for my friends to get to this. They all know something big goes down, because I couldn't restrain myself entirely; I just wish they could get to that part of the story themselves! But noooo, it's all Bounty Hunter and Knight and Trooper. Bah.
Heh, I felt the same way. I have a friend playing a Juggernaut (I play a Marauder myself), and I was dying for him to finsh the class quest so I could ask him about his opinion of the Quinn betrayal.

His reaction was about the same as mine, it seemed; annoyed, but not surprised (though I'm far more attached to Quinn than he is). Ironically, it was his female friend who seemed more outraged at the betrayal than he is, since they often play together. (I couldn't help but wonder if she got rather attached to Quinn herself, heh.)

Anyways, my friend told me he took the LS choice when sparing Quinn, but ended up killing Baras at the very end (he originally started DS, but gradually turned LS during gameplay, partially because he was romancing Vette).

Personally, I spared Baras since I'm pure LS, but I really wanted to kill him for screwing with Quinn... (I'd like to believe that the nastiness Quinn shows the other companions during the betrayal is partly because Baras mind tricked him, since Quinn is usually so restrained in public. And the Smuggler storyline shows that while player characters can resist the mind trick, companions cannot; plus, it shows that Sith can also perform the mind trick.)

JediElf
05.15.2012 , 02:38 PM | #286
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Well, too late to fix that one. It's just this vicious self-reinforcing cycle now: 'Love' is too weak a word. I lurve him. I loave him. I luff him, two f's. I...I hate everything about him. I wish he was dead. I wish I had never met him. Dammit, I love him. And around it goes.
It's such a credit to this game that we can feel so much for the characters, and I find my self both laughing, and crying, along with the story arcs, and decisions that I have to make....it's amazing. I swear I may never got back to an MMO where I have to read a boring text box, and then kill 10 rats.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ismaire View Post
(I'd like to believe that the nastiness Quinn shows the other companions during the betrayal is partly because Baras mind tricked him, since Quinn is usually so restrained in public. And the Smuggler storyline shows that while player characters can resist the mind trick, companions cannot; plus, it shows that Sith can also perform the mind trick.)
I'm leaning towards that line of thought , as well.

Oh and I also have...well..my own theory (http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...8&postcount=31), as to why his loyalty was absolute....even if he didn't know it himself.

*adjusts her C3PO shaped tinfoil hat*
Beware the Jawa Sith!
SGRA FAQ! Check it out!

bright_ephemera
05.15.2012 , 02:46 PM | #287
And the Smuggler storyline shows that while player characters can resist the mind trick, companions cannot; plus, it shows that Sith can also perform the mind trick.)
My absolute favorite "some can resist a Jedi mind trick and some can't" scene comes in the JK line on Hoth. I'll see if I can dig out a link when I get home; it's a mild spoiler for a step in the planetary line, nothing huge. And it's comedy.
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
05.15.2012 , 03:32 PM | #288
And the Smuggler storyline shows that while player characters can resist the mind trick, companions cannot; plus, it shows that Sith can also perform the mind trick.)
Not Sith, not companions, but it reminded me, the first thirty seconds here has my favorite NPC-mind-trick-resistance example: http://youtu.be/cX49fT8dMF0
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

Kalterien
05.15.2012 , 03:49 PM | #289
Quote: Originally Posted by JediElf View Post

It was nearly an even split between...

The folks like me who took lite side points and forgave him, and the folks who took the dark side points and force choked him, with no one taking the no alignment option.

Seriously I think this is awesome, I hope the writers build on this.
Wait.. there was a neutral options?! If they had left the Force Choke = Quinn dies, then I probably would have taken that.

And why, why can't we the SW get an actual apology from the scuzebag.... wait when Quinn says "I'm sorry it's come to this..." is that an actual apology or just a reference to the whole situation?

I'm waiting for my husband to actually get to this scene, there's this running joke between us that I can't keep a secret about movies, tv, games or books and I've been really really good about this so far. He absolutely detests Quinn in general and his SW is still only on Quesh, I think. But nuuuuu, he wants to finish his JK and SI first... *sigh*

@Ephemera
I think you're right about the pacing though, I actually don't hate the guy even after the "incident", but keep in mind I knew it was going down beforehand mostly because I couldn't help myself and started watching youtube vids on the romance options and saw that one vid. Pacing things did help and really by the time I hit Taris I was already maxed affection with him and had to limit myself to doing his conversations one or two over the course of the day or planet. I had a lot of time off in the early part of the year so it was easy to level the SW quickly. The self imposed limits were mostly due to remember what happened on my JC with Iresso because I had pretty much finished all his conversations within the space of 3 days and it only took that long because I had a missing companion for a bit due to the class quest.

I think part of me as also just plain impressed that Quinn had the balls to try and take out the SW to begin with regardless of whether Quinn felt conflicted about it or not.

JediElf
05.15.2012 , 04:35 PM | #290
I think part of me as also just plain impressed that Quinn had the balls to try and take out the SW to begin with regardless of whether Quinn felt conflicted about it or not.
Same here! That takes some big brass ones.

Also I think there was a third option...I think...I was emotional at the time, or I might be thinking of another choice....oh now i'm not sure. >_<
Beware the Jawa Sith!
SGRA FAQ! Check it out!