Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guide: Leveling a tri-spec Sorcerer 1-50

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Guide: Leveling a tri-spec Sorcerer 1-50

Mickloven
01.23.2012 , 04:44 PM | #11
I'm leveling madness now and about to switch to lightning to work up to chain lightning. Based on my experience, I'm not sure how you can skip Oppressing Force in the Madness tree. I find it invaluable for leveling and easily completing boss fights. A build with points in Madness that does not include Oppressing Force for leveling just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. With 2 points in Oppressing Force, you can avoid the 2 points in the corruption tree as you will rarely, if ever, need to heal. Also, I have had 0 problems with force so I would avoid points in force generating abilities, for now. For what it is worth, my experience is based mostly on solo leveling. I cannot speak to FP's and Heroics though the ones I have done, have not been a problem.

Iselin
01.23.2012 , 04:53 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Wheelerific View Post
Wow really?

Hoko's original spec had very little to do with healing at all, it was a full Max DPS Madness/Lightning hybrid build.

I had posted a few days before he did, the idea of the 3 spec hybrid, in which I have always used, then he goes and changes his original post to more mimic what I had introduced.

And people go and give him credit?

Not to mention, taking Haunting Presence over Lucidity is pretty dumb no matter what level you are.

Cmon mannnnn......

No respect
ROFL... oh wait, you're serious... OK here it goes:

I want to thank the academy and everyone who thought of this spec whether they posted it as a one liner, wrote a guide or just dreamt they had... I want to thank my parents for having me and everyone elses's parents for having them... and baby jesus too.

Hoko's post, where he took the time to explain it, is where I saw it first, hence my thanks to him... who are you again?

And about haunting presence, lucidity and dumbness...lucidity is most useful for dedicated healers in groups. In a solo/leveling spec where you use a tank (Khem) and mostly DPS with some occasional heals, your lucidity is the lesser, mostly wasted, choice because you should not be getting beat-on and you're one helluva lot more likely to pull aggro off Khem by DPSing than healing... it might come in handy in PVP but that'd be about it. Besides, I did mention that those points were optional and people could put them where they wanted... or did you miss that part?

Maybe when you posted this before Hoko (link?) you used the same trollish, "any way but mine is dumb" attitude and that's why we missed it? Just guessing.

SWGChef
01.23.2012 , 04:55 PM | #13
Great guide, Thanks.
Jole Wavinglighter
Master Doctor/Buffpack Crafter Extraordinaire/Bald Guy in Hotpants
Nebula Atoms Company / Crevasse Nebula, Tatooine
...got tired of paying $45/mo for a 2-yr old beta product from SOE.

Iselin
01.23.2012 , 05:07 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Mickloven View Post
I'm leveling madness now and about to switch to lightning to work up to chain lightning. Based on my experience, I'm not sure how you can skip Oppressing Force in the Madness tree. I find it invaluable for leveling and easily completing boss fights. A build with points in Madness that does not include Oppressing Force for leveling just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. With 2 points in Oppressing Force, you can avoid the 2 points in the corruption tree as you will rarely, if ever, need to heal. Also, I have had 0 problems with force so I would avoid points in force generating abilities, for now. For what it is worth, my experience is based mostly on solo leveling. I cannot speak to FP's and Heroics though the ones I have done, have not been a problem.
That's a fair point about Oppressing Force. The more frequent stun and extra CC are both nice. Personally I didn't use them at all until end-game but I'd see no problem taking it with 2 of the points from Chain Shock.

You used it a lot as you leveled so obviously you consider it essential. I didn't so I don't but your suggestion is just fine with me.

Cheers.

redheadedtim
01.23.2012 , 06:12 PM | #15
As a madness spec'd sorc at 27, I can attest that Adronwhatever works way better than Khem. Granted, I haven't gotten to the higher level stuff, but bubble him, control who he attacks with ctrl 1 / 2, whirlwind (or whatever it is) for cc'ing 1-3 npcs, heal him a little if needed, repeat. Does this become not viable 30+?

Iselin
01.23.2012 , 06:57 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by redheadedtim View Post
As a madness spec'd sorc at 27, I can attest that Adronwhatever works way better than Khem. Granted, I haven't gotten to the higher level stuff, but bubble him, control who he attacks with ctrl 1 / 2, whirlwind (or whatever it is) for cc'ing 1-3 npcs, heal him a little if needed, repeat. Does this become not viable 30+?
Tatooine is pretty easy compared with what's to come. 30+ has noticeably harder hitting strongs.

Like everyone else I expect, I was pretty happy to get someone other than Khem (this was before I knew that you really can gear the ship droid well enough to make him an effective healer companion if you want to) so I used Andronikus a bit in Tatooine.

He does fine with trash pulls since we and him can DPS stuff down quickly. The same--even more so--applies to Ashara after you get her since her DPS is better. If anyone really, really wants to use a DPS companion with this spec you could pull it of.... better? Absolutely no way. Elite fights you'll have to deal with the elite hitting/shooting you constantly instead of just DPSing it down.

Our DPS is very, very good especially after getting chain lightning, We really don't need another DPS companion's help to kill anything and for me, it's a pain in the butt to have to deal with the mobs I've aggroed when playing with a companion that can't hold aggro.

Using a tank is just way easier and requires Seethe between fights much less frequently.

Athred
01.23.2012 , 08:17 PM | #17
This is great. I am lvl 33 currently and tried this build first at PVP and boy I did some damage, I never did so much damage at pvp I was at the top scorers.

It was also easy to fight againts NPC'S that outleveled me, killed some elites easily.

Nice build and thanks!

redheadedtim
01.23.2012 , 08:29 PM | #18
Thanks for the feedback on 30+ leveling. So far, I'm mostly pvp'ing for valor in between class quests, though I've done a lot more questing than I had anticipated. Partially because I love Tatooine. I'm about at the point where I may start putting my other points into corruption or lightning. Folks posts have given me something to think on. I can vouch for madness up to 27 in pvp though

Itesh
01.24.2012 , 04:57 PM | #19
I had been leveling as heal spec so far, going to try this out. I'm 31, so i don't have Death Field or Wrath yet. What should my spell priority be?
Experience is a dear teacher, but fools will learn at no other--Benjamin Franklin

Iselin
01.25.2012 , 10:28 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Itesh View Post
I had been leveling as heal spec so far, going to try this out. I'm 31, so i don't have Death Field or Wrath yet. What should my spell priority be?
At your level you don't have any of the 3 AOEs. You'll have 2 of those--Death Field and Force Storm--soon, and that will affect how you deal with trash...especially Force Storm which is hard not to like with it's additional CC for normal and weak mobs.

Everything you do is still single target so you're best off spreading Affliction to all the mobs you're dealing with and then focusing on one with Crushing Darkness when available and just spam Force Lightning--which by now should have no cooldown and regenerates force. Just refresh Affliction when needed and that's it for the DPS side of things. Throw in a Shock here and there to finish mobs off or an oppressive force to stun (and interrupt non-elites.)

Defensively you just bubble and heal your companion--or rarely yourself--as needed.

Its a very simple rotation.

Once you have wrath you'll be using those instant +20% procs on Crushing Darkness and Lightning Strike until you get Chain Lightning. Then it'll be CL and CD you'll use the instant wrath procs on.

One things that's a bit different in SWTOR from other MMOs, and very cool to have, is that you will start to run into more and more elites with some very high damage special abilities that need to be interrupted. You won't see those just in flashpoints either you'll see them in your more difficult class story instances and in some other elites even in non-heroic instances. When you run into those, stopping your rotation to throw in a Jolt will be your top priority.