George Lucas plans to retire

rdc_thirty

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you blame a creator of something so great!

His ideas were/are great, the implementation of them from others are the problem.

He was a director... implementation was his job (and he sucked at it).

Edited by VizMagc

I agree with the OP, I just wish he had done so before he decided to DIRECT E 1 2 and 3.

If his ego was a little smaller and he decided to give the helm to somebody who could direct people in emotional scenes, the new SW films may have actually been decent.

if not for those, this game would not exist.

I look at George about the same way I look at Frank Miller. Both have created some really awesome stories, back in the day, but their more recent work is often horrendous and inexplicable.

Didn't George say something along the lines of no one being able to create in his Star Wars sandbox once he dies?

Actually, I find it quite likely that a new Star Wars trilogy will be released in about thirty years. It'll probably be pretty good, too, since it will be made by Star Wars fans rather than the people who made Star Wars.

In thirty years people with fond memories of star wars, as in not the people who saw episodes 1-3 first, will either be too old to 'get' the hypothetical new films or they will have succumbed to heart/kidney failure due to obesity/adult on-set diabetes.

if not for those, this game would not exist.

Weather that's true or not, that doesn't make them good, and IMO they are not good. They have plenty of flashy CGI and light sabre fights and stupid annoying characters, which may appeal to some, but NONE of the emotional feeling that the first 3 SW films created and captured.

Weather that's true or not, that doesn't make them good, and IMO they are not good. They have plenty of flashy CGI and light sabre fights and stupid annoying characters, which may appeal to some, but NONE of the emotional feeling that the first 3 SW films created and captured.

It is true, whether you want to admit it or not. And I love how everyone whines and moans about CGI. Because models and physically drawing on the film to produce the special effects are somehow so much better, right?

Lightsabre fights? In a Star Wars movie? Blaspheme!

Stupid annoying creatures? God, what was he thinking? Why didn't he harken back to the Golden Age of the OT when he gave us Ewoks?

And of course the OT had a more "emotional feeling" that "captured" you. You were twenty years younger! Christ on a crutch, what is it with people who think that they should be amazed by the same things now as when they were a kid?

i will say that revenge of the sith was good, i managed to see the original star wars films a couple times before the changed ones. I can see how it was so influential for it's time. Although i'd love to see the thrawn trilogy in movie form. although who could play thrawn =/

Actually, I find it quite likely that a new Star Wars trilogy will be released in about thirty years. It'll probably be pretty good, too, since it will be made by Star Wars fans rather than the people who made Star Wars.

Color me cynical, but I have doubts as to whether 'fans' of something will do the series justice, or whether they'll even be allowed to (copyright laws and all that - separate issue).

M. Night was allegedly a fan of the Avatar: The Last Airbender series, and that was... painful to watch, for example. Or what about all of the low-grade Hollywood remakes of classics? We can assume most of those people were fans of the original, why did they end up as bad as they did?

Or what about all of the awful fanfiction that currently circulates the internet for the IP as it stands? Or any IP for that matter. Even some of the works that get made into actual novels and signed off by Lucas Licensing aren't exactly 'great' all of the time, and we can assume that at least most of those people were fans of the setting at some point at least.

I'm happy for George if he does take his retirement seriously this time, honestly. He created a wonderful playground for the creative, much like Roddenberry did. Not sure I'd put it quite as high as Tolkein or Lovecraft, but at least the novels in SW are somewhat more readable (I love Tolkein and Lovecraft to death, but good lord, is some of their stuff hard to read). Or watchable, as the case may be.

Finally. He screwed his career up by announcing that creating a new Star Wars movie will never happen. Making a high grossing movie is a terrible idea, right?

And everyone would rip on the new star wars movie just like they did the new trilogy (I am one of the rare people that enjoyed all three of them, almost as much as the orig three)

even if it was by far the best one ever, people would just say "LOL this blows! This sucks compared to the orig three!!!!" just because they have rose colored glasses on.

It is true, whether you want to admit it or not. And I love how everyone whines and moans about CGI. Because models and physically drawing on the film to produce the special effects are somehow so much better, right?

Lightsabre fights? In a Star Wars movie? Blaspheme!

Stupid annoying creatures? God, what was he thinking? Why didn't he harken back to the Golden Age of the OT when he gave us Ewoks?

And of course the OT had a more "emotional feeling" that "captured" you. You were twenty years younger! Christ on a crutch, what is it with people who think that they should be amazed by the same things now as when they were a kid?

Clearly I expect more from films than you do.

A sign of the times.

Also, you assume that because I was a kid that they were more emotional for me? lol. I can see this is falling on deaf ears.

You're allowed to like the new films, just like I'm allowed to not like them. Capiché?