Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Was I wrong?

Waadus
01.18.2012 , 11:08 AM | #1
I am a Sith Juggernaut Tank

Went in the Black Talon on Heroic yesterday and on the first pull after the conversation we wiped due to being caught off guard and entering combat before we were ready, no big issue there.

We went back in and I asked if we had any CC available and we set 2 targets (Elite and one of the Hard mobs) for CC and before we were ready someone pulled so I jumped in and picked up the 2 unmarked targets and realized that the 2 marked for CC were being attacked and picked them up and we wiped again which was followed by questions to me about what's going on like I did something wrong.

Third time I stressed to not hit the CC targets and someone said "ok go go" and pulled, I turned and exited the Flashpoint while they were fighting the mobs and dropped the group after I told them "I am sorry but the group is wanting to pull as fast as possible and I won't be able to contribute in this setting, Good Luck" which was met by "***".

It kind of make me feel that I wasn't doing something right and I decided at that point to only do Flashpoints with Guildies or pugs that I set up myself.

Was I wrong here, is this the setting for a successful group and maybe I am just not fast enough to react?
LUDICROUS SPEED
Guild Website

Grope
01.18.2012 , 11:26 AM | #2
I'd say you were too slow to react. Yes you are thrown right into the fight on that occasion, I guess now you know it'll happen. Regardless, those mobs are grouped up and can easily be aggro'd. Enrage, smash, invincible, AOE taunt, sweeping slash, choke one, smash again, single taunt anything running away while dps'ing the gold. I've never seen CC on that fight as there isnt time for it, that being said I've wiped on that fight once in 10 times so I don't think you need CC. The key with any instance is having the dps kill the weakest enemies first.

I play a tank because I like the complexity and I cannot stand waiting around for a tank who sits there before every mob asking if everyone is ready. As a tank you should be ready for action and be pulling non stop ensure a good pace. You glance at the healers force or heat to ensure they are good and obviously if someone is going to go afk you expect them to say so, otherwise you are safe to assume they are there. If you are constantly moving forward then nobody has time to go afk or browse the net. If you stand around then don't get mad about dps pulling or people going afk.

I had someone with a low level sith warr ask me if in the end there was just 4 or 5 main abilities to be used, no. I have 25 keys mapped and routinely use them all, perhaps another role or character would more suit your playing style.

Waadus
01.18.2012 , 11:46 AM | #3
Just a little clarification, I had no issue at all picking up the mobs.

On that first pull that was instantly after the conversation I had everything on me and burned a couple of my survival cooldowns and drank a Medpac, I Force Choked the Elite and when he came down I pushed him back and was trying to keep him at bay while the group killed the non elites, I was holding them well but the healer wasn't able to keep up with the damage.

Second pull when the group pulled I jumped in immediately and was able to pick up everything before anyone died and was able to kick the elite that was being attacked out of the group and it was quickly CC'd but it was attacked again and running rampant at that point.

Third pull was pulled before I even made it in the doorway, there really wasn't much time involved in it, literally 20 seconds of downtime and is where I gave up. Hell, I dont even think I got my buffs before the pull as I was just running into range of the group when they pulled.

This was my second run for BT Heroic so I knew what to expect on most of the pulls here.
LUDICROUS SPEED
Guild Website

DaveMcG
01.18.2012 , 12:14 PM | #4
Sounds like a group that thought they were good enough not to bother CCing which usually leads to wipes.

You did nothing wrong IMO. If I was healing for a group that wouldn't CC, they'd be looking for a new healer.

JLapp
01.18.2012 , 12:35 PM | #5
If BT is anything like Esseles it was probably for the best. If you can't handle the trash with ease there is no way you are going to be able to down a boss.

Natarii
01.18.2012 , 12:54 PM | #6
That initial pull is the only hard part about the entire instance. The dps needs to give the tank about 3-5 seconds to establish aoe threat before lighting everything up and it can go horribly wrong easily. The rest of black talon is complete faceroll/chainpull. My groups typically do not use CC, but I always run with 1 of 2 tanks, and I know how long to give him to keep my squishy butt from pulling threat with force storm! CC is difficult there simply because the combat starts RIGHT when the dialog ends, and they're grouped so tightly that any stray aoe will break it. Best to let your tank do 1 or 2 big aoe threat maneuvers, then focus fire. Like I said, once that group is down, the rest is chain pulls between bosses.
Dark Lord of Altaholics Anonymous
Sword of Ajunta Pall - Sith Empire

Grope
01.18.2012 , 01:00 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Waadus View Post
Just a little clarification, I had no issue at all picking up the mobs.

On that first pull that was instantly after the conversation I had everything on me and burned a couple of my survival cooldowns and drank a Medpac, I Force Choked the Elite and when he came down I pushed him back and was trying to keep him at bay while the group killed the non elites, I was holding them well but the healer wasn't able to keep up with the damage.

This was my second run for BT Heroic so I knew what to expect on most of the pulls here.
Leads me to believe that your failure was a combination of the gear worn by you and your healer. Being only your second time in the instance I assume you have sub-par gear for tanking heroics, if your healer is in the same boat it is not a good combination. There are numerous daily quests you can run on Ilum and Belsavis to earn commendations and buy mods for your gear. You can essentially get three lvl 51 armor mods a day, in two days your armor mods at least will all be lvl 51. The quests also give enhancements and mods which will help you with hard modes.

What is your unbuffed HP?

Natarii
01.18.2012 , 01:04 PM | #8
Don't get discouraged by overzealous dps either; they (we) get lulled into that false sense of security because the rest of the place is so much easier than that first pull, that they (we) just open up guns blazing and wipe if we're not careful. It's always a challenge with a new tank or healer that you've not run with before.
Dark Lord of Altaholics Anonymous
Sword of Ajunta Pall - Sith Empire

Waadus
01.18.2012 , 01:13 PM | #9
I have been running the daily quests and have about half of my mods upgraded right now.

A lucky Level 48 Epic Implant dropped for me and the last BT run I got my Wrists from the last boss.

I put the 3 Yellow Datacron fragments together for my Blue Relic as well.

I have been working on discovering upgrades with Biochem, I have turned the Defense Implant to a Blue quality so far and Reverse Engineered the Blue version about 30 times now but still no luck on the Epic discovery but still working on it.

My gear is improving daily but I still have a little ways to go.

I am at work so I can't check my HP's right now but the healer did mention that this was his first run.
LUDICROUS SPEED
Guild Website

Waadus
01.19.2012 , 12:19 PM | #10
I added some more mods and bought a couple pieces of gear off of the GTN last night and my HP's are now at 15,500. I am now down to only needing 2 more mods on my gear to be all upgraded.

I am not sure if this Above, Below, or On Par to other tanks though.

Either way, it's an improvement to my personal stats and should help with my next run.
LUDICROUS SPEED
Guild Website