Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Battle for Ilum Fails as Predicted

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Battle for Ilum Fails as Predicted

MDONINESIX
01.18.2012 , 10:22 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by MercArcher View Post
How it works on my server

10 republic vs 30 imperials

10 republics attack 30 imperials

10 republic kill all 30 imperials

10 republic leave the zone with quest complete.
Wouldn't momma be proud.

Dharagada
01.18.2012 , 10:22 AM | #12
The problem is that the change only works with balanced factions, but that's clearly not the case, it's never been the case on most servers.

So I'm not sure why they implemented this change, which assumes a pretty even balance, where there isn't one.

They are going to either have to revert the change (and quickly) or offer some type of incentives for players to go republic. Honestly I'm not sure what they could offer that would be balanced, though some free server/faction switching might be a good place to start.

Daisai
01.18.2012 , 10:23 AM | #13
Small 10 second brainstorm idea.

Allow the faction which is outnumbered in Ilum use their companions to such an amount that it evens out the numbers a bit more.

Eldrenath
01.18.2012 , 10:23 AM | #14
I fail to see how this is Bioware's fault entirely. Certainly at least some, if not most, of the blame falls on the players.

If there are 100 imps on, and 25 republics, why are all the imps forming a giant mob and swarming the severely outnumbered republic players? Why don't they break up and fan out around the map? Sure, that means less action, but it does mean that the action that takes place would be more entertaining since it wouldn't be a complete slaughter.

Instead, from the pictures people are posting, it appears that all the imps are joining together in one big unstoppable zergball horde, then complaining that all there is to do is join up in one giant unstoppable zergball horde. And somehow this is BioWare's fault?

Subatia
01.18.2012 , 10:23 AM | #15
Want to fix it?

Re-roll Republic.

Demorgoth
01.18.2012 , 10:23 AM | #16
Oh god... I didn't exactly have high hopes for the changes, but I'm sorry to say this has turned out even worse than I thought lol.

No skill, no tactics, no challenge.

He who has most players, wins.

He who has most AEs and most players, epic-wins.

He who has a cast time on his attacks, loses.

Andryah
01.18.2012 , 10:24 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Veqtue View Post
Why would they even let Mythic handle the pvp? They already failed big time with Warhammer Online.

Illum is such a massive dissapointment.
Bad setpiece PvP in WoW (battlegrounds and arena) has made people forget how open world PvP works.

And population imbalance is hardly Biowares fault. People choose a side they want to play. Nobody forces them to, and Bioware forcing people to choose a side they don't want to play would be a huge fail. (I play Republic, so no accusations are required).

This has been going on since MMO PvP started.

Example: On any given night, back in the old DAOC days, there would be 2 or 3 times as many Albion as there were Midgard or Hibernia out in the frontiers. Albion would still get their rear ends handed to them quite often.

Example: On any given night, back in Vanilla WoW, Alliance would outnumber Horde on a regular basis at least 2:1 on most servers. Alliance would still get pounded more often then not.

Learn to perservere and overcome. If you simply play to the zerg, then you get zerged. If you play static set piece engagements, then numbers win. If you show some imagination, you can beat the zerg even when it outnumbers you significantly.

OR, maybe just go play Huttball where you have a sanitized dumbed down PvP environment.

/2cents
Judgments are often inaccurate because the brain relies on cognitive biases over hard evidence. Cognitive bias is the tendency to make irrational judgments in consistent patterns. Researchers have found that cognitive bias wreaks havoc by forcing people to make poor, irrational judgments.

Alkiii
01.18.2012 , 10:25 AM | #18
Wait, wait, just wait ...

Are you guys and gals blaming Bioware for faction population imbalance? How in the hell is it their fault for the majority of people selecting "Empire" at the faction selection screen?

Where's the common sense here?
“When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep ... not screaming like the passengers in his car.”

nelsing
01.18.2012 , 10:25 AM | #19
Illum used to be bad, now its horrible, reps corpse camped in spawn and cant get away. Center full of ppl all trying to get 30 armaments each and verry few armaments up. Been there for 15 min and managed to get 2 of the armaments. Imo just remove illum totaly since clearly nothing good can be done with it cause of faction imbalance. Or put in for example 3 different quest factions wich put empire/rep in one of the 3 factions randomly and always keeps it balanced, that way the pvp in illum might stand a chance to work.

hardicon
01.18.2012 , 10:26 AM | #20
so its biowares fault the republic players are bad. its biowares fault you are forced to pvp in a pvp zone. maybe they should just have ilum be one massive gankfest with no loot attached. just a big freaking warzone. people wanted easy purple loot, bioware made this ot possible, im glad they did, now people have to work for their epics instead of being handed welfare epics like wow.