Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cannot install from SWTOR_setup

adam_lord
12.14.2011 , 12:41 PM | #1
I have bought the game from EA Origins. they have sent me an e-mail with my code in it to activate the game on the swtor website. I have done this and it has worked fine. I have downloaded the installer named: SWTOR_setup (38mb). I have clicked on this to run the installer. it load's up with a small box that says it is extracting file's to a temp location on my hard drive (see below):

C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Local\Temp\InstallSWTOR

after it has done this (goes very quick) the box closes and the loading timer comes up on my muse for about 10 sec's (I have checked in task manager and some thing called launcher did open and close quick). it then stop's and dose not do any think else.

I have tried running this as administrator and the same thing happens. I have tried to run it with all my back ground program's close and my Anti-virus (McAfee) turned off and the same thing happens.

I have gone to the temp location and found the file's. there is two exe's in here. one called setup and one called installer. I have tried to run both of these and nothing happens.

I have found a Ziped file called swtor in here witch has a lot more file's and have extracted this. in here there is a file called launcher.exe I have run this and it did start the launcher and started to download the patch. the problem is that it has not installed the game any where and is just downloading to the same temp folder. it look's like this zip file has the game file's in it to start the launcher but it is not installing to my computer.

Please advise what is this may be as I have looked on the forums and cannot find anything like this.

Spec:

Processor: Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.20GHz
RAM: 12GB
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 (1.5gb)

Thanks for any help you can give me and let me know if you need more info.

Adam

Packetdancer
12.14.2011 , 01:13 PM | #2
If you are running any of the following programs, quit them:
  • FRAPS (by far the #1 cause of all SWTOR_setup.exe problems)
  • Ventrilo
  • RadeonPro
  • WindowBlinds (note: Alienware machines have this installed and on by default)
  • Dell PremiereColor
  • Ivilinx Download Manager
  • DLLFixer
  • IPBlock

Then try running the installer again.
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris)
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.

adam_lord
12.14.2011 , 01:27 PM | #3
I have checked my Task maanger for all of these and non of them are running.

Thanks for the help. any other idea's?

adam_lord
12.14.2011 , 01:31 PM | #4
I also got this from a text file i found if it help's:

[Wednesday Dec 14 19:08:28 2011] -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[Wednesday Dec 14 19:08:28 2011] STAR WARS: The Old Republic v1.00.0.1 installer ran
[Wednesday Dec 14 19:08:28 2011] -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[Wednesday Dec 14 19:08:28 2011] CallParameters=[/src="C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Local\Temp\InstallSWTOR "]
[Wednesday Dec 14 19:08:28 2011] Command-line language=
[Wednesday Dec 14 19:08:28 2011] System Default Language ID=2057
[Wednesday Dec 14 19:08:28 2011] Language [2057] is not supported in this installer - setting English
[Wednesday Dec 14 19:08:28 2011] Supported OS Language=en
[Wednesday Dec 14 19:08:28 2011] ProgramLocation from registry [SOFTWARE\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic] [Install Dir]=[]
[Wednesday Dec 14 19:08:28 2011] If Empty() then Peeking into \data\installmanifest_ru.ini
[Wednesday Dec 14 19:08:28 2011] no command-line language set
[Wednesday Dec 14 19:08:28 2011] LANGUAGE_SELECT_RANDOMIZE=0
[Wednesday Dec 14 19:08:28 2011] nsisBWLangSelect::LangSelect R1=0 R2=0 R3=0
[Wednesday Dec 14 19:08:28 2011] nsisBWLangSelect::LangSelect returned 0
[Wednesday Dec 14 19:08:28 2011] Cancel pressed in language select.
[Wednesday Dec 14 19:08:28 2011] STAR WARS: The Old Republic quit

Jonuos
12.14.2011 , 01:41 PM | #5
The same exact thing is happening to me. I have updated everything I can possibly think of on my computer and did every suggestion on here. It just keeps stopping when it gets to the language select. I tried running it on my wifes laptop, which I have no chance in hell playing this on it. It worked fine, so it is not my router settings. I really wish someone could come up with a solution to this.

Packetdancer
12.14.2011 , 01:42 PM | #6
You're now the fourth person I've seen with that language select issue on installation; I'm guessing you're on Windows 7 Enterprise edition?

This issue doesn't seem to be common -- and seems to only affect Windows 7 Enterprise edition, hence my question -- and the only fix I currently know of that's likely to work well is manually copying the installed launcher from a non-Enterprise machine. It is possible to split open SWTOR_setup.exe, and run the installer manually forcing a language on, but the process is long and convoluted, and copying from a friend's machine who installed the launcher successfully will be less aggravation.

Edit: I now see you're on Home Premium in the first post. That's... well, you have the distinction of being the first person I've seen to have this issue on anything other than Enterprise. Yay? On the plus side, since you said it installed fine on your wife's laptop, just copy the SWTOR directory from her machine to yours; that should work.

adam_lord
12.14.2011 , 01:54 PM | #7
It is a different person who said they got it onto there wife's computer

I have a Vista computer in the house so will try and install it on that now and see what happens. I will check back in a bit with my finding's.

GrolschUK
12.14.2011 , 02:00 PM | #8
You could also try saving the installer file to your desktop rather than running it (and it then trying to launch from a temp directory)

Once saved to desktop, right click and 'run as administrator' and see if you get any further.

Packetdancer
12.14.2011 , 02:00 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by adam_lord View Post
It is a different person who said they got it onto there wife's computer
Pick avatars, darn you all! *fistshake!*

Quote:
I have a Vista computer in the house so will try and install it on that now and see what happens. I will check back in a bit with my finding's.
Okay. Good luck!

adam_lord
12.14.2011 , 02:12 PM | #10
I have saved it to my desktop and tired running it but this did not change anything, thanks anyway.

I have run it on my Vista computer and it has installed fine first time. I have copied over the directory to my computer and the launcher work's and download's. the game still does not show in add remove program's.

I think I am just concerned because it is a lot to download and I don't want to do it all and it not work

I just want some one to tell me that it will be fine and will work from me copying it over from one computer to another and just make my own shortcut's

p.s i got avatar =)