Full Auto and Mortar Volley STILL HORRIBLY BUGGED

Fryseboks

1.1 did not resolve this. There is a 33 page long thread about this on the trooper class forum, but seemingly it has not caught the attention from any developers.

Full Auto, a 3 second channeled trooper ability that does a set amount of damage each second, "tick", is still very broken. First of all the animation is unecessarily slow, causing problems in pvp.

However much more importantly, if you get hit by any damage during the channeling duration, you LOSE one "tick" on the ability, doing 2 "ticks" in stead of 3 meaning you effectively do 66% of the damage you were intended to cause, and making this ability pretty much inferior to Grav Round if you are taking any form damage, even though the gunnery tree talents clearly means it to be an important ability in your rotation.

Curiously, the Bounty Hunters version of this ability, named "Unload", DOES NOT behave like this. It deploys nearly instantly, and does not lose any ticks if you take any damage.

This is a serious advantage to bounty hunters, especially in pvp but also when questing alone, even in FPs on bosses where you take AoE damage, and should thus be a high priority bug.

Then there is the Mortar Volley. While less serious, it is still limiting for the Trooper compared to Bounty hunter. From clicking the ability it literally takes like 1.5 seconds before the shots actually go off and hit the ground targeted, meaning that in PvP this ability is extremely easy to avoid. Also in flashpoints this can be the difference between killing a boss and wiping, if you missed the swarm of adds that just spawned running for the healer because the animation takes way too long to deploy. Again, bounty hunters equilavent ability named "Death from above" DOES NOT behave like this and go off instantly.

Please do not make this into a "lol Commando/Mercenary is OP, spam more tracer missile/grav round" thread. That is not the point. A nerf may or may not be due to this class in certain departments, but that is an entirely different discussion seeing as this is about two bugs.

Please look into the serious bugs above, as they are discouraging people to make a Trooper over a Bounty Hunter, worsening the already absolutely horrible Republic/Empire population ratio problems.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.1 did not resolve this. There is a 33 page long thread about this on the trooper class forum, but seemingly it has not caught the attention from any developers.

Full Auto, a 3 second channeled trooper ability that does a set amount of damage each second, "tick", is still very broken. First of all the animation is unecessarily slow, causing problems in pvp.

However much more importantly, if you get hit by any damage during the channeling duration, you LOSE one "tick" on the ability, doing 2 "ticks" in stead of 3 meaning you effectively do 66% of the damage you were intended to cause, and making this ability pretty much inferior to Grav Round if you are taking any form damage, even though the gunnery tree talents clearly means it to be an important ability in your rotation.

Curiously, the Bounty Hunters version of this ability, named "Unload", DOES NOT behave like this. It deploys nearly instantly, and does not lose any ticks if you take any damage.

This is a serious advantage to bounty hunters, especially in pvp but also when questing alone, even in FPs on bosses where you take AoE damage, and should thus be a high priority bug.

Then there is the Mortar Volley. While less serious, it is still limiting for the Trooper compared to Bounty hunter. From clicking the ability it literally takes like 1.5 seconds before the shots actually go off and hit the ground targeted, meaning that in PvP this ability is extremely easy to avoid. Also in flashpoints this can be the difference between killing a boss and wiping, if you missed the swarm of adds that just spawned running for the healer because the animation takes way too long to deploy. Again, bounty hunters equilavent ability named "Death from above" DOES NOT behave like this and go off instantly.

Please do not make this into a "lol Commando/Mercenary is OP, spam more tracer missile/grav round" thread. That is not the point. A nerf may or may not be due to this class in certain departments, but that is an entirely different discussion seeing as this is about two bugs.

Please look into the serious bugs above, as they are discouraging people to make a Trooper over a Bounty Hunter, worsening the already absolutely horrible Republic/Empire population ratio problems.

Bounty hunter version is called sweeping blasters and has the same issue. Death from Above has similar and both can be interrupted quite easily it does suffer from a animation 'lag' it does not go off instantly.

Edited by Foenixz

As a BH I can speak to the fact that unload DOES NOT immediately deploy. Sometimes I have to hit the button 3 times (and its off GCD the entire time) before it goes off, further more, the animation frequently lags behind, and sometimes I get the channel bar, but nothing actually happens. The ability remains unused, but due to the aforementioned slowness of the animation I lose at least as long as it takes me to realize that the cast bar is doing nothing.

Then there is the Mortar Volley. While less serious, it is still limiting for the Trooper compared to Bounty hunter. From clicking the ability it literally takes like 1.5 seconds before the shots actually go off and hit the ground targeted, meaning that in PvP this ability is extremely easy to avoid.

Again, I'm not sure where you are getting your BH info from. This, especially in FPs or PvP, takes just as much time to deploy for BH. Furthermore, sometimes I am still on the ground (the animation lifts BHs into the air) when the shots start going off (1.5 seconds after I cast it), showing just how slow the animation really is.

Also, as this isn't something you mentioned so I'm not sure if it affects troopers or not, but BHs have a problem with Heatseeker Missile (your Grav Round equivalent). Occasionally when alone, and VERY HEAVILY when in groups, the heatseeker missile cast bar flips out, and instead of taking whatever it is 1.5 seconds to cast and then immediately firing, the casting animation and bar start and stop and finally go off maybe 3 seconds later.

Usually this is how fighting strong mobs goes for me in FPs:

- Start casting HSM

- Goes off 3-4 seconds later

- Start casting HSM again (on a new target because the other one is dead already)

- Target dies before I get the cast off

- I give up and just spam instants that actually take 1.5s longer than they should anyways

I agree they should assess Trooper bugs, but don't forget about BHs too :)

To OP,

Nowhere did i see or get the slightest hint that patch 1.1 was going to address the bugs experienced in the trooper class. We will just have to wait and hope that the Dev's caught wind of these bugs and fix them accordingly. I'm sure they know of them and possibly they wont provide feedback because there is still the main issue of the Ability Delay bug. Once that main bug is settled i'm sure "possibly" the full auto and mortar volley will be fixed.

As a BH I can speak to the fact that unload DOES NOT immediately deploy. Sometimes I have to hit the button 3 times (and its off GCD the entire time) before it goes off, further more, the animation frequently lags behind, and sometimes I get the channel bar, but nothing actually happens. The ability remains unused, but due to the aforementioned slowness of the animation I lose at least as long as it takes me to realize that the cast bar is doing nothing.

Thats different problem. Its cast deley issue and it is on all class not only trooper/bh. Just try not to spam the buttons - it helps me.

Troopers Full Auto main problem is about the last dmg 'tick' which is interrupted when somone hits trooper...

Mortar Voley in PvP looks like this - 1. Click skill button 2. Starting casting Mortar Voley 3. Ending casting Mortar Voley... there is still no dmg.. wating 1-2 sec and the dmg starting to appear.

So the dmg deley on Mortar is much much bigger then on BH similary skill...

Edited by ChemicalRider

It takes 1.5 seconds for the shot of Mortar Volley to fire, but it's actually 2 seconds until it hits the target area and does damage.

Similarly, Full Auto takes a second before beginning to fire, and just one stray blaster short makes you miss out on 1000 damage.

If you are using anything besides instant cast abilities in pvp, you aren't doing it right. I'm no pvp pro, but if you're not moving in PVP you're most likely cc-ed/useless or already dead.

p.s. Mortar Volley and Full Auto are both horribly bugged and barely useable even PVE.

Edited by Solyad

Then there is the Mortar Volley. While less serious, it is still limiting for the Trooper compared to Bounty hunter. From clicking the ability it literally takes like 1.5 seconds before the shots actually go off and hit the ground targeted, meaning that in PvP this ability is extremely easy to avoid.

this is the real problem

Thats different problem. Its cast deley issue and it is on all class not only trooper/bh. Just try not to spam the buttons - it helps me.

Troopers Full Auto main problem is about the last dmg 'tick' which is interrupted when somone hits trooper...

Mortar Voley in PvP looks like this - 1. Click skill button 2. Starting casting Mortar Voley 3. Ending casting Mortar Voley... there is still no dmg.. wating 1-2 sec and the dmg starting to appear.

So the dmg deley on Mortar is much much bigger then on BH similary skill...

Im not sure if you are just hard headed or thick.

BH attacks are 100% IDENTICAL to trooper attacks in everything but name and animation. Unload = Full Auto - Explosive Dart = Sticky Grenade - Rail Shot = High Impact Bolt - Rocket Punch = Stock Strike - Death From Above = Mortar Volley - Tracer Missile = Grav Round.

Please dont think you are the only class with issues. We have the same problem. When unload is cast it does nothing sometimes, and when attacked the cast bar drops by about 10% per hit. Its a channeled ability, inquisitors have the same problem with Force lightning, and consulars have it with telekinetic throw.

All of these are "channeled", all of these abilities are on a cooldown so not spammable, and ALL of them lose some time off the cast when taking damage during it.

And yes, BH have to wait on occasion for the damage of Death from above to actually start ticking too... please dont think you are the only players who have issues.

However much more importantly, if you get hit by any damage during the channeling duration, you LOSE one "tick" on the ability, doing 2 "ticks" in stead of 3 meaning you effectively do 66% of the damage you were intended to cause

If I understand what you are referring to, I believe this is working as intended and is referred to as "Kick back". I also believe there is a skill called "Steady Aim" or some such, that reduces this effect of taking damage by 25/50/75 percent.

Cheers,

Meigs

Director,

Office Of Having Read Something Somewhere Sometime

Mortar Volley = BH Death From Above

Please go roll a BH before making random claims. We have the same delay before the aoe starts damaging the target area. We fly up into the air THEN the damage ticks. It is IN NO WAY INSTANT. I played a trooper to 20 (commando) in beta. You have obviously never played a BH.

That is not a bug, that's the way it's supposed to be, hence the reason for the talents Steaded Aim and Combat Shield. Most channeling effects offer the ability to knock down the ticks of the effect by DPSing the caster.

BH attacks are 100% IDENTICAL to trooper attacks in everything but name and animation. Unload = Full Auto - Explosive Dart = Sticky Grenade - Rail Shot = High Impact Bolt - Rocket Punch = Stock Strike - Death From Above = Mortar Volley - Tracer Missile = Grav Round.

Please dont think you are the only class with issues. We have the same problem. When unload is cast it does nothing sometimes, and when attacked the cast bar drops by about 10% per hit. Its a channeled ability, inquisitors have the same problem with Force lightning, and consulars have it with telekinetic throw.

All of these are "channeled", all of these abilities are on a cooldown so not spammable, and ALL of them lose some time off the cast when taking damage during it.

And yes, BH have to wait on occasion for the damage of Death from above to actually start ticking too... please dont think you are the only players who have issues.

I have a commando and a powertech the main's the powertech and I can tell you there is a difference.

DFA vs Mortar -Mortar is acting odd, the animation activates but no damage actually starts occurring till the channel bar reaches the halfway point so you end up being able to move and activate your next ability while the animation is still going on and damage is still happening as long as you wait for the channel itself to finish. This wouldn't be an issue except in PVP it gives the Trooper's targets an extra second or so to get out of the area if they are paying attention.

Compare this to DFA where there is a brief delay where the BH flies up and starts firing, the channel and the animation are in sync.

That's really the best way to describe the issue, the animation and channel for the trooper are not in sync while with DFA they are, and it ends up giving a slight advantage to DFA in PVP.

As for Full Auto vs. Unload this one isn't so odd but it does seem to be favoring the BH. If a trooper targets something and hits full auto and gets hit the it seems as though they loose a tick in damages. Unload always seems to get all the ticks in damage in even when being attacked. Now without actually seeing a parse it's hard to be a 100% sure a 100% of the time BUT it does seem as though unload is working better than full auto.

Edited by Dharagada

That is not a bug, that's the way it's supposed to be, hence the reason for the talents Steaded Aim and Combat Shield. Most channeling effects offer the ability to knock down the ticks of the effect by DPSing the caster.

The talent reduces pushback, but with how Full Auto works taking even a half second off the channel time makes you lose a tick. Making the talent effectively worthless.

I have a commando and a powertech the main's the powertech and I can tell you there is a difference.

DFA vs Mortar -Mortar is acting odd, the animation activates but no damage actually starts occurring till the channel bar reaches the halfway point so you end up being able to move and activate your next ability while the animation is still going on and damage is still happening as long as you wait for the channel itself to finish. This wouldn't be an issue except in PVP it gives the Trooper's targets an extra second or so to get out of the area if they are paying attention.

Compare this to DFA where there is a brief delay where the BH flies up and starts firing, the channel and the animation are in sync.

That's really the best way to describe the issue, the animation and channel for the trooper are not in sync while with DFA they are, and it ends up giving a slight advantage to DFA in PVP.

As for Full Auto vs. Unload this one isn't so odd but it does seem to be favoring the BH. If a trooper targets something and hits full auto and gets hit the it seems as though they loose a tick in damages. Unload always seems to get all the ticks in damage in even when being attacked. Now without actually seeing a parse it's hard to be a 100% sure a 100% of the time BUT it does seem as though unload is working better than full auto.

I'm happy to let you watch me on my bounty hunter to see just how wrong you are. When I say death from above has a delay, im not talking about the 1 second it takes to fly up in the air, im talking about the times where it pauses... does nothing for about 2 seconds, then your character rockets into the air and shoots, and many times if you take damage during that time, the attack doesnt happen at all. (Edit: and when I say it doesnt happen at all, i mean you do no damage but the timer reacts as if the attack happened.)

As for Unload, nope, wrong again... it does lose damage if you are taking damage... but I assumed it was working as intended since there are OTHER abilities on OTHER characters that ALSO lose time on the cast when attacked. I still assume its as intended, its not a cast bar, its a channel bar. Look at other games, when attacked while channeling the channel loses time also. Not an uncommon mechanic.

Edited by Blaac

If you are using anything besides instant cast abilities in pvp, you aren't doing it right. I'm no pvp pro, but if you're not moving in PVP you're most likely cc-ed/useless or already dead.

This is completely and utterly wrong. Tracer Missile/Grav round is the staple of damage in PvP. You save your instants for when you NEED to move. Not to mention you have an ability that make your next cast an instant on a 2 min CD. Before commenting on PvP, perhaps you should actually try it first and find out that the Merc/Commando is extremely viable if played right.

All of this is totally beside the point anyway. No where does the thread discuss Merc/Com pvp. They are tlaking about the differences in annimation/damage compared to both classes. Stating that they shouldbn't be using the abilities anyway is useloess, because even if they shouldn't be using them they should still work properly. As I have played both Merc and Com, I agree with the OP's assessment. Full Auto and mortar volley are far inferior to unload and death from above. Both also happen to suffer from ability delay, which is another issue entirely.

For me to consider re-rolling rep to help out with server imbalanced, this needs to be addressed beforehand.

At least I'm not somone who insults other on same game forum.

I didnt wrote anywhere that trooper is the only class which have problems/bugs. So please read carefully.

Almost all class have some issues, but more bugs are on republic side... and before u will write something stupid - I play mainly on imperial side.

Yes there is deley on Mortar Volley AND Death From Above but on Motar Volley its bigger, u dont get it?

Its just amazing how many imperial players, who play JUST imperial class have something to say in this topic.. and mostly they dont know what they are writing about.

Edited by ChemicalRider

I'm happy to let you watch me on my bounty hunter to see just how wrong you are. When I say death from above has a delay, im not talking about the 1 second it takes to fly up in the air, im talking about the times where it pauses... does nothing for about 2 seconds, then your character rockets into the air and shoots, and many times if you take damage during that time, the attack doesnt happen at all. (Edit: and when I say it doesnt happen at all, i mean you do no damage but the timer reacts as if the attack happened.)

As for Unload, nope, wrong again... it does lose damage if you are taking damage... but I assumed it was working as intended since there are OTHER abilities on OTHER characters that ALSO lose time on the cast when attacked. I still assume its as intended, its not a cast bar, its a channel bar. Look at other games, when attacked while channeling the channel loses time also. Not an uncommon mechanic.

Reread my first line I have both a trooper and a Bounty Hunter, the Bounty hunter is my main.

Go level up a Trooper it won't take long the difference between mortar and DFA is noticeable. It's not as ridiculous as some people here state but it's there. The animation from activation till ending is smoother and damage starts earlier with DFA.

This is not a question of me wanting a buff for commando, the commando is an alt that's sole purpose is to keep in touch with some friends on a different server than my main (which as I stated earlier is my bounty hunter).

Edited by Dharagada

At least I'm not somone who insults other on same game forum.

I didnt wrote anywhere that trooper is the only class which have problems/bugs. So please read carefully.

Almost all class have some issues, but more bugs are on republic side... and before u will write something stupid - I play mainly on imperial side.

Yes there is deley on Mortar Volley AND Death From Above but on Motar Volley its bigger, u dont get it?

Its just amazing how many imperial players, who play JUST imperial class have something to say in this topic.. and mostly they dont know what they are writing about.

I stand by the statement... and your assumption that I haven't played both sides of the spectrum is just a further example of why.

I have actually played EVERY class (yes every... both advanced classes on each side) into the late 20s at least if not further. So I'm fully aware of what the issue is here, but what I'm NOT aware of is why you assume BH don't have this same issue. We do... so please BEFORE you start spewing off more unsubstantiated information as FACTS, have the real facts.

Also, this is not an "every time I use the ability" situation, so please also don't act like its game breaking.

Edited by Blaac

Uh.. No.

You get hit once doing Unload and you can lose 1-2 ticks WITH the talent.

I took it off my bar completely because the only reliable time I could use it was when something was stunned or if someone is holding aggro.

What this proposes is that my entire experience from when I got unload to level 50 has been imaginary and all those MISSED ticks because a mob sneezed at me were just my imagination.