Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sith don't feel Sith and other story telling fails *some spoilers*

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Sith don't feel Sith and other story telling fails *some spoilers*

Rhifox
01.19.2012 , 02:40 AM | #11
Notice this a lot. While yes, the Sith should generally keep controlled, there are times when I'd really like to hear the character actually express some kind of emotion. We have multiple dialogue choices, so when we take the ones that look like they would be expressing emotion, and then listen to our characters give yet another emotionless response, it gets very boring. My SI never yelled, even when I took dialogue options that should have been yelled. My character never expresses surprise, when I took dialogue options that should have expressed surprise.

Honestly, the most emotion my character expresses is when she's taking damage in combat. Some of those screams are very good. It'd just be nice to have that level of emotion in some dialogue, too.

Really, it's one thing to deliberately take the cool, controlled choices. But when you take the choices that look like they'd express emotion, and then express none, it gets dull. Some emotion, some of the time, is a good thing.
-Sevra Canmore, Sith Sorceress, Lord Adraas

Star Wars: Galaxies Vet (Jan 2004 - Dec 2011)
Rhiana Fox, Starsider | 'Diana Canmore, Starsider | Rheine, Europe-Chimaera

DarkestDaemon
01.19.2012 , 03:14 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Claidh View Post
A quiet voice and well spoken threat is infinitely more frightening than all the screaming and war cries you can muster.

I usually give the example of Jubal Early in the Firefly episode "Objects in Space". He is clearly in control of his circumstances, he lets you know that you don't have a chance against him, and he never once raises his voice. The scene in the engine room with Kaylee actually makes my wife very uncomfortable.
This.

If a Sith was a berserking barbaric warrior, then it would be something different.

But Sith are supposed to be more refined enemies... even if they use their emotions it would be more frightening to behold a Sith who, when a normal person might be expressing outrage and hatred... you have a character being quite calm and in control. Where unbridled rage can be imposing... there is something about subdued malevolence which can cause a person to be somewhat more afraid.

MiraBindo
01.19.2012 , 03:21 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Claidh View Post
I usually give the example of Jubal Early in the Firefly episode "Objects in Space". He is clearly in control of his circumstances, he lets you know that you don't have a chance against him, and he never once raises his voice. The scene in the engine room with Kaylee actually makes my wife very uncomfortable.
+10000 for a firefly reference

I don't know anything about the sith storyline but i agree with you. I really liked the way Early was played, a lot like the operative out of the movie Serenity. Very calm but intense. A calm threat is infinitely more terrifying/badas*
Kahlen

bliapis
01.19.2012 , 03:25 AM | #14
I disagree.. there is alot of emotion on my Sith Warrior.. The bad side, there is alot of repeating in the dialog too..
i5 2500k OC @ 4Ghz | Thermaltek Hyper TX3 air cooler | 8gb Corsair Vengeance | Asus GTX580 CU | Asus Maximus IV GenZ/Gen3 | Thermatek 750W PSU -==- Server: Fredon Nad (EU)// Characters: [B]Vanguard L50: Clipjunkie// [B]Sentinel L50: Seithan// Juggernaur L50: Shaithis // Sorcerer L42: Rasthavas

gaskull
02.03.2012 , 05:53 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by MoistMuffin View Post
You can be passionate without herp derp.

Also good call on Thana Vesh above, I killed her because she was an annoying slag.
Yep
THE-KĀLI-CLAN/LEGACY
ReyejaRai'omRystayaGrivainth
Pasjjaya Yjassath
Rehl'anoe Or'ishan

Cythereal
02.03.2012 , 07:54 AM | #16
Darth Baras himself in the Sith Warrior prologue notes that masking your emotions is good so long as you don't actually suppress them. Be passionate, but don't be obvious about it or you'll be easily manipulated.
"That which furthers our purpose is authorized." - Imperial Intelligence, Field Operations Division motto

Coyotecalls
02.03.2012 , 07:58 AM | #17
I think a lot of the problem with the Sith is that they tried to keep things rated T for teens. So you can't show a lot. This game would have been much better, but sold less, if they had just had it rated adult and then really told the story without being ******* about it.
Wow, reading some of these posts, it's amazing we can actually function as a society at all...
~Livingston, SWTOR Forums.

grania
02.03.2012 , 07:59 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Cythereal View Post
Darth Baras himself in the Sith Warrior prologue notes that masking your emotions is good so long as you don't actually suppress them. Be passionate, but don't be obvious about it or you'll be easily manipulated.
Interestingly, Darth Baras is the only sith I can think of that I've seen lose his cool. Despite this, my character says at the end of the story, that he's a master of controlling his emotions

Quote:
Darth Baras has a lot of passion. Passion for force lighteninging prisoners.
Yeah that, haha~
--,-'-{## ##}-'-,--
"Mama, I dies your character, sorree!"

headcrab
02.03.2012 , 08:34 AM | #19
He does have a point though, Jaesa's VA is awful.