Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bounty hunter power tech crew skills

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Bounty hunter power tech crew skills

trparks
01.18.2012 , 08:58 AM | #1
So, I just started playing SWTOR and have tried out a few characters. Bounty Hunter is by far my favorite and will take my PT to endgame as a PVE tank. I haven't played a ton of MMOs and would like some advice.

I chose to craft ARMORTECH thinking that I'm going to want to craft the best armor in the game for mitigation purposes. I chose my other two crew skills as SCAVENGING for mats and SLICING because Mako gets an early +15 so that can be a nice early boost for easy cash.

The more I play though, it seems like CYBERTECH would have been a better crafting choice. I can make mods for both my armor and weapons while ARMORTECH only makes armor but not weapons. Plus I could make ear pieces.

I also am thinking that I should change my slicing to UNDERWORLD TRADING to get a headstart on epic mats. Plus the fabrics I get for synthweaving I could put in the auction house to make up for the loss of credits of losing slicing.

Anyone have any suggestions. I'm only level 15 so I don't feel like I've invested too much time into any crew skill that it would be a waste to abandon it. My slicing is around 150; armortech and scavenging around 75. Does anyone know if crafted endgame armor is better than endgame modded armor I get from either the auction house, commendation vendors, or drops in flashpoints? Any input would be great! Thanks.

Awter
01.18.2012 , 09:59 AM | #2
Tbh, I've not done cybertech so I don't have a 2 sided opinion. I went armormech and have never needed in this game. I've made all my armor, mostly blues while lving to 50, but then lv49 purps waiting for me at lv49.

I've made so much money simply selling the same purples I had made for myself on the GTN that I constantly loan/give away money to my own guild. When a guild member is close to 49 and non-sith, I take the time to make as many blues/purps for them as I can. Med-armor medics and Med-armor dps can now get mostly purples from me at lv 49 for free. I bought the 1.5mil speeder last week.

This was my experience, ofcourse, I lv'd quickly and have somewhat boycotted the market. So i f you go armormech, be rdy to start off by selling competitive prices, if you want to sell. I've also found that selling items as "sets" help, as people seem to want the chest piece and leg plates etc all together.

aedan
01.18.2012 , 10:05 AM | #3
level 50 powertech with 400 cybertech here.

while cybertech might be more useful as you level at endgame its nearly as useless as any of the other crafting skills due to better mods being available than what you can make, by other means such as daily quests.
"So, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

Cryonax
01.18.2012 , 10:42 AM | #4
I hate to say it, but with the recent 1.1 changes to crafting, the only viable endgame profession combination now is Biochem, bioanalysis, and Diplomacy/Slicing.

Previously I would have advised you to go Cybertech as if you keep in orange gear while leveling you can esseentially keep at level gear, and the endgame stuff (level 400 Rakatta bombs) was actually pretty good. With 1.1 the bombs do less damage than a single rail shot, and aren't even worth the global cooldown it takes to use them.

Save yourself the pain and don't double grind...go biochem

trparks
01.18.2012 , 11:15 AM | #5
Thanks everyone. This is all very helpful. Biochem does seem like a pretty good way to go since it will help all classes and seems like it should be pretty handy at all parts of the game.

I wish BW would make crafting have a bigger impact at endgame. If someone maxes out armortech, you should be able to tell by his gear that he put a ton of time into that skill. Same thing with armstech, someone should have a weapon that has an edge over anyone who didn't put time into that skill. Same goes for all of the other crafting skills. Not everything needs to be balanced where everyone can get the "good stuff". It would give more personality among a class beyond skill specs. I think it would even be nice if the top tier crafting items are bound on acquire so not everyone can get the best crafting gear through alts, or the auction house. That would make crafting even more important. I haven't played a ton of MMO's, but I would be more excited to play if when I got to my top gear, I could stand out from all the other BH's who chose a different craft. Then maybe have a very difficult quest line that allows a player to recieve a second craft skill after all of their chosen crew skills have been mastered. I think it would be an interesting way to add a lot more strategy to player development. That's just my 2 cents. What does everyone else think?

Disasstah
01.18.2012 , 11:31 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Cryonax View Post
I hate to say it, but with the recent 1.1 changes to crafting, the only viable endgame profession combination now is Biochem, bioanalysis, and Diplomacy/Slicing.

Previously I would have advised you to go Cybertech as if you keep in orange gear while leveling you can esseentially keep at level gear, and the endgame stuff (level 400 Rakatta bombs) was actually pretty good. With 1.1 the bombs do less damage than a single rail shot, and aren't even worth the global cooldown it takes to use them.

Save yourself the pain and don't double grind...go biochem
The bombs do AoE damage don't they? They also don't cause heat. Sounds like a pretty handy tool personally. Also, with the new bracket system, epic mods and armoring will probably be great to sell to people who wish to twink.

SDKyron
01.19.2012 , 02:37 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Disasstah View Post
Also, with the new bracket system, epic mods and armoring will probably be great to sell to people who wish to twink.
How can you consider twinking, there's no option to block experience so twinking is only temporary at best.