Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Bioware if you were unsure first come first served means the first people get served

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Bioware if you were unsure first come first served means the first people get served

netvagrant's Avatar


netvagrant
12.14.2011 , 02:09 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSiobhan View Post
We had the minimum requirements, I entered my pre-order code within 8 hours of thhe announcement. I could give a **** that they added 2 days, there should only be 8 hours worth of people ahead of me, not over a month which is where they're at now. My guild wasn't created we've lost our guild name, I've lost my. Character name I've been using for 20 years, several of my friends ended up on different servers because our guild wasn't imported.

It's a breach based on the fqct that I gave them money ahead of time to secure my place in line. They have kept my money for 5 months and are not delivering on their promise. The up to 5 days part isn't the breach, the first come first serve part is.
Can't you get one of your friends who got in the game to reserve your character name for you? Just a thought...

ryzor's Avatar


ryzor
12.14.2011 , 02:14 PM | #12
Honestly, let's calm down for a minute and realize this is just a video game. OH NO I SAID IT! Yes, ok, you may have to wait another 6 days in order to join with your guildmates. End of the world, highly unlikely.

As to your "Breach" claim, never once, in any of Bioware's posting of ANYTHING did they gurantee you a thing at all. To spell it out, a breach would look like this:

Dear Name:

We, Bioware, would like to thank you for your preorder of our new game. Because of your preorder, we are guranteeing you a place in the inital release of the early access game content.

Blah blah blah..

Get the point? That never happened, you never had any sort of "agreement" with them to be breached. So please, don't play that card.

Sorry if this seems rude, but it's a little ridiculous to throw such a tantrum because you didn't get what you, and everyone else, wanted.

TheSiobhan's Avatar


TheSiobhan
12.14.2011 , 02:15 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuiper View Post
It said UP TO* 5 days...read the fine print.
Immaterial to the discussion. If they only let the people in who registered their preorders between 12:01 and 7:59 am on 7/21 and then let everybody from 8 am onward in for 1 minute, they'd be fine. However they have let people in who registered after me. That's the breach.

TheSiobhan's Avatar


TheSiobhan
12.14.2011 , 02:16 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by netvagrant View Post
Can't you get one of your friends who got in the game to reserve your character name for you? Just a thought...
Tried that it's how I know it's gone

AccidentalRob's Avatar


AccidentalRob
12.14.2011 , 02:18 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSiobhan View Post
My guild wasn't created we've lost our guild name, I've lost my. Character name I've been using for 20 years, several of my friends ended up on different servers because our guild wasn't imported.
Are you making an assumption you lost your guild/character names, or do you know for a fact that they have been taken by anothe group/person?

If your guild was not created, that means that you did not meet the minimum requirements of 4 people pre-ordering the game and registering their pre-order code. The guild I am in got created and placed on a server, because we met (exceeded) those requirements.

You and your friends will be able to meet on the same server on launch date, at the very latest. Let's look at it this way - at least then you'll all be starting on the same footing of 1st level.

See? There's the silver lining!

Aieny's Avatar


Aieny
12.14.2011 , 02:26 PM | #16
Have you checked your "Code Redemption" page on your account to see if the "ready to play" item is there in code history? You may have gotten in but not gotten an email. If you are getting no servers to select, then you have encountered a bug, just look at stickies for solution.

As for your guild, check your guild page on swtor site to see why guild did not get imported.

commandoExo's Avatar


commandoExo
12.14.2011 , 02:32 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSiobhan View Post
So I registered 8 hours after the announcement, I have paid in full for 2 collectors editiond and 2 standards. This is over 400 dollars that I have spent in games alone. (Xmas presents) However bioware has decided in their infinite wisdom to reneg on their portion of the agreement. My guild was not imported, I have received no early acccess. I have been trying for over a week at this point to get an answer from customer support and make them aware of the issue. However they ignored me, and now well I'm just tired of it, so here ya go bioware/ea. You lost 400 in sales, and at least 8 months of subs, but probably more. Not to mention since the guild wasn't imported I have some guild members who are no longer interested since they've seen how this stuff is handled.

Btw reddit/gaming forums/ign anywhere I can post about this I will.
I agree with you totally !
they can't handle support or business better then this crap and per-order early accesses agreements too !
then I say cancel and don't play it at all its a small ammount in their pockets being lost !
but not a major lose for them.
but it's a start any way !
I seen to many post so far of gamers not getting what they paid for so far.
and it's making me dislike BW and swtor all together besides the fact of false info' on early access crap and BS and slander and harrassment from the community on here cause you have a more open eye of view on things and suggestion that could make the game even better and better business for BW.
so far I am sick of it all and stressed out over this early accesses crap that which I paid for and won't probably get in till the 19th.
so that to me is not worth it.
I think their just playing games with their bread and butter customers and now starting to really lose them cause their head games crap and false sales prep' for early accesses.

and in fact I should have a good mind to go over to consumer reports and report this crap in. and submit a fraud report along with it.
that will start them off with some small bad PR !!
Beta tester
DIGITAL DELUXE EDITION OWNER.

canadria's Avatar


canadria
12.14.2011 , 02:36 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSiobhan View Post
Immaterial to the discussion. If they only let the people in who registered their preorders between 12:01 and 7:59 am on 7/21 and then let everybody from 8 am onward in for 1 minute, they'd be fine. However they have let people in who registered after me. That's the breach.
IT WASN'T A CONTRACT!

THERE WAS NO BREACH.

Get it through your self entitled skull. It's a video game. I didn't get in on day 1 either. Oh no.

I will get in. Maybe a day or 2 later. My wife a day after that. So freaking what.

Grow up.

TheSiobhan's Avatar


TheSiobhan
12.14.2011 , 02:38 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by ryzor View Post
Honestly, let's calm down for a minute and realize this is just a video game. OH NO I SAID IT! Yes, ok, you may have to wait another 6 days in order to join with your guildmates. End of the world, highly unlikely.

As to your "Breach" claim, never once, in any of Bioware's posting of ANYTHING did they gurantee you a thing at all. To spell it out, a breach would look like this:

Dear Name:

We, Bioware, would like to thank you for your preorder of our new game. Because of your preorder, we are guranteeing you a place in the inital release of the early access game content.

Blah blah blah..

Get the point? That never happened, you never had any sort of "agreement" with them to be breached. So please, don't play that card.

Sorry if this seems rude, but it's a little ridiculous to throw such a tantrum because you didn't get what you, and everyone else, wanted.
Actually this is untrue, a breach in the contract based on their advertising where they say if you do this we will do this. In this case they said if you give us money, we will let you into early access based on the order in which you enter these codes we give you after you give us money. I gave them money I entered my code. I have fulfilled my end of the contract, they haven't.

rangeraimee's Avatar


rangeraimee
12.14.2011 , 02:38 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by commandoExo View Post
I agree with you totally !
they can't handle support or business better then this crap and per-order early accesses agreements too !
then I say cancel and don't play it at all its a small ammount in their pockets being lost !
but not a major lose for them.
but it's a start any way !
I seen to many post so far of gamers not getting what they paid for so far.
and it's making me dislike BW and swtor all together besides the fact of false info' on early access crap and BS and slander and harrassment from the community on here cause you have a more open eye of view on things and suggestion that could make the game even better and better business for BW.
so far I am sick of it all and stressed out over this early accesses crap that which I paid for and won't probably get in till the 19th.
so that to me is not worth it.
I think their just playing games with their bread and butter customers and now starting to really lose them cause their head games crap and false sales prep' for early accesses.

and in fact I should have a good mind to go over to consumer reports and report this crap in. and submit a fraud report along with it.
that will start them off with some small bad PR !!

How much did you pay to get EGA? lol I paid $0 to get EGA, it's just a bonus with my pre-order. I'll be getting exactly what I paid for, a game. Good luck in the future to you.

In the case of the OP, I'm sure it's just an issue or oversight. If you redeemed your code when you say you did, I'm sure a CS rep will eventually help you, even if it may be to late for your liking.