Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lucas says he won't make more Star Wars movies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Lucas says he won't make more Star Wars movies

Vecke
01.18.2012 , 01:07 AM | #11
I have one - and only one - gripe in regards to the special editions.

It's not that he keeps tinkering with the movies and it's not that he has made multiple special editions. He can make a hundred more for all I care.

It's that he has effectively erased the original from existence in the modern medium. You can't get the Star Wars you grew up with on Blu Ray. You can't get it through any legal digital means.

The original Star Wars is a major part of film history. It literally changed the way movies are made. And he has removed it.

The originals should have been part of the Blu Ray release. If he had done that, I would have absolutely no complaints.

He calls these movies the "Special Editions" but that's a misnomer. They are very literally "Replacement Editions."
"I know."

Punnyjunior
01.18.2012 , 01:13 AM | #12
lol what are you guys talking

he owns Star wars

if he doesnt make anymore why he would give it to anyone to make

if you actually like star wars you should beg him to make more

i really want to watch old republic as a movie

Darthmoriquendi
01.18.2012 , 01:23 AM | #13
Funny thing is no matter how much people bi*ch and moan they still keep watching the movies. playing the games and buying merchandise. Um wut? I personally think the mans a genius and would love to see the rest of the star wars saga......... nuf said.

Smithie
01.18.2012 , 01:25 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Vecke View Post
I have one - and only one - gripe in regards to the special editions.

It's not that he keeps tinkering with the movies and it's not that he has made multiple special editions. He can make a hundred more for all I care.

It's that he has effectively erased the original from existence in the modern medium. You can't get the Star Wars you grew up with on Blu Ray. You can't get it through any legal digital means.

The original Star Wars is a major part of film history. It literally changed the way movies are made. And he has removed it.

The originals should have been part of the Blu Ray release. If he had done that, I would have absolutely no complaints.

He calls these movies the "Special Editions" but that's a misnomer. They are very literally "Replacement Editions."
QFT this is exactly how i feel about it to
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"

<Afterdark> -> Tomb of Freedon Nadd-EU
My youtube : http://www.youtube.com/SmithianKingdom

DBarcelona
01.18.2012 , 01:26 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
Maybe if he'd stop editing the original films people would stop blasting him. I'm glad he doesn't want to make any more movies. Let more creative people build on the star wars franchise.
Lets hope that happens but I first have to read a good Comic from Dark Horse, maybe if they actually make an original story that goes on for more than 4-5 issues.

Brutanic
01.18.2012 , 08:16 AM | #16
This to me, is positive news. However, I thought he stated that he wasn't going to make anymore films ages ago? Knowing myself I'm probably wrong and probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but could someone elaborate on this?

Akeonip
01.18.2012 , 08:21 AM | #17
eh his decision although id love to see the thrawn trilogy in movie form
These are not the droids you are looking for, move along.

Geeluc
01.18.2012 , 08:39 AM | #18
GL might own SW, but he doesn't own ESB or ROTJ...they were 'directed' by someone else! He's tinkering with films that don't belong to him!

And the fans hate him so much, for one reason : give us the original '77, '80 and '83 versions of the films, in HD and we'll leave you alone.
Putting the smug into Smuggler

shamrockjew
01.18.2012 , 09:25 AM | #19
It'd be great if he let someone else write and direct some New Jedi Order films. He won't, but it'd be nice. Lucas created something amazing with the original trilogy, but he also showed an inability to write without gaping plot holes and inexplicable plot disconnects with the prequel trilogy.

He's a fantastic person with an amazing imagination. He's also a terrible writer.
Set phasers to stun! I mean, set lighsabers to... on.

Aedilous
01.18.2012 , 09:36 AM | #20
I've heard that the reason the original trilogy was so great was due in large part because there were a ton of people telling Lucas not to do things he wanted to do. Someone else wrote the scripts, another person produced the movie, etc. If I'm not mistaken he wasn't even the director, though he got credit for directing the movie.

I'd love to see more Star Wars movies but not with George Lucas in complete control and certainly not if he writes the scripts again. The Prequel Trilogy had some of the worst script writing and plot holes I've seen in a movie recently, and that includes having seen the movie Season of the Witch.

All that being said, I hope that he changes his mind because I'd rather see more Star Wars than no Star Wars, even with Lucas at the helm. He just needs to get off his high horse, realize that he isn't a movie making god, get some competent writers and directors, and take some constructive criticism. He started a great series but also showed that he knows how to drive it into the mud, IMO.