Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why did space faring species turn evil?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why did space faring species turn evil?

MetroPolice
01.17.2012 , 10:07 PM | #1
I had a read trough articles of ancient star wars species. Most of them ended up being evil, tried to conquer the galaxy and most of them were only stopped by another like-minded species, complications with inhabiting worlds or their settled for simply enslaving a few worlds and called it a day. What's up with that?
Where is your Early Access you may ask? I took it. Its that simple.

Sinigual
01.17.2012 , 10:58 PM | #2
I suppose some sort of entitlement settled in when they would find species that were underdeveloped?

Halofax
01.17.2012 , 11:19 PM | #3
Thats exactly what happened in Colonial times Europe.

Art thou suprised?

Midasear
01.18.2012 , 11:20 AM | #4
From a narrative point of view, ancient evil empires are attractive to storytellers because they justify the existence of ancient evil monsters, evil artifacts of power, evil forbidden knowledge, ruins&dungeons filled with unspeakably evil servants, and other (evil) plot devices.

But it may not be that unrealistic, either.

Any species that becomes interested in space exploration has probably evolved to be either very curious, or very aggressive and territorial, or maybe both.

The aggressive/territorial types are going to build an evil empire. Its what they DO. They won't be able to help themselves.

Now a merely curious species might get there first, but as soon as they bump into the aggressive/territorial type they are going to get stomped, absorbed into the evil empire, and probably get wiped from history.