Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

LFG system


Skann's Avatar


Skann
01.19.2012 , 01:54 PM | #11
The current LFG is a gimmick. I want automatic grouping system such as the Warzone one. Whenever the group is formed, ports you to the selected FP. Once you are done, ports you back to where you were. PVPers have this, why can't PVEers?

It needs to be cross-server. I don't want to be penalized for not playing on a high-population server or outside peak hours.

Please, don't come spread the false rumor about how much this ruins the community. There is only one community here, the SWTOR one. If I want to play in a group but can't, what community is there?

If you are afraid of jerks, grow up, they are everywhere. Learn to deal with them. If your group has one, either leave or vote to kick that person. Regardless, you will be able to queue again and do whatever you wanted to do.

SpaceJ's Avatar


SpaceJ
01.19.2012 , 04:17 PM | #12
The real question is this:

Instead of posting LFG, have you tried posting LFM?

It's a small difference, but I've had far better luck looking for players than looking for groups. No one wants to start them, ergo no one can join one. This is the real problem.

(Would a quene system be nice? Sure. Is it necessary? No. As one of the above posters stated, you can already flag yourself as LFG. It's just that not a lot of people are checking it and forming teams. Ergo, it's a community issue of people being lazy and not forming their own groups. I will admit it could use a better filter system though.)

Lowenblade's Avatar


Lowenblade
01.19.2012 , 04:20 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Tijonius View Post
Just a quick question have you even tried to use the LFG comment system that they already have in place?. I never have any trouble finding a group because I can just grab people that put comments up while questing and finish my group instead of just sitting on the fleet spamming.
Yes, I've tried to use the LFG function in the Social window of the UI. You list yourself there and you may enter some information and grouping preferences. After listing yourself, you get a purple icon next to your name. You then have one of two choices; either go back to the Social page from time to time and see who else listed themselves on the social ledger (shades of Logan's Run...?), or you could wait around and hope someone sends you a tell and see if and when you want to group.

The system is clunky and not at all user-friendly. Compared with all of the popular MMO games of today, SWTOR's LFG tool is right out of the Stone Age. BioWare's *reasoning* for their substandard UI is even more bizzarre: to build community. If we take the Devs at their word, then the game designers purposely made it harder for people to team up and enjoy game content so they would spend more time spamming "LFG Directive 7 FP" to build community...? Just what the heck kind of "community" BioWare expect frustrated players to build?

Lowenblade's Avatar


Lowenblade
01.19.2012 , 04:26 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by SpaceJ View Post
(Would a quene system be nice? Sure. Is it necessary? No. As one of the above posters stated, you can already flag yourself as LFG. It's just that not a lot of people are checking it and forming teams. Ergo, it's a community issue of people being lazy and not forming their own groups. I will admit it could use a better filter system though.)
Don't make the mistake of excusing a SERVICE PROVIDER in providing bad serivces. SWTOR's LFG tool is not at all user-friendly, and in today's MMO environment, players simply wouldn't tolerate clunky social UIs. You could call people names if you like, but the onus is on BioWare if they offer features paying customers don't like.

SpaceJ's Avatar


SpaceJ
01.19.2012 , 04:50 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Lowenblade View Post
Don't make the mistake of excusing a SERVICE PROVIDER in providing bad serivces. SWTOR's LFG tool is not at all user-friendly, and in today's MMO environment, players simply wouldn't tolerate clunky social UIs. You could call people names if you like, but the onus is on BioWare if they offer features paying customers don't like.
My intention wasn't to call people names, but rather to point out a truth. People are too lazy, or don't know enough about the instances, to form their own teams. This isn't meant as an insult, this game is just new. Watch the general channel and you'll see a thousand LFG's and no LFM's.

If I cry 'LFG' no one responds.

If I cry 'LFM' I get a deluge of tells. (Usually, anyway.)

If you were looking for tips on how to find people to team with, I'm trying to help with information that has consistantly helped me out. Take it or leave it.

(Just to point out, there's currently a video up on the main page showing the new customizable interface. Perhaps it will include some LFG tools as well. If not, the above should work.)

Valtrim's Avatar


Valtrim
01.19.2012 , 04:58 PM | #16
The community that I'm talking about isn't a mirage at all. It existed, once upon a time, pre-Wrath in WoW on the server that I played. Like I said, modern WoW (and I use WoW because it's the only game I've played that had a PvE queue system) has nothing apart from hardmode raids and rated BGs to encourage people to play together for any length of time. WoW was growing in a big way before Activision acquired Blizzard and everything was made to cater to casuals.

Stop and think about your experiences so far in TOR: do you recognize toons outside your own circle of friends (and, if you have one, your guild)? If you've played WoW, is it the same there? A community exists on a server when there's a persistence of dialogue between the players on it; I'd like to see server-specific (realm) forums added to facilitate this further.

WoW was a fun game for me back when it mattered which server you played on apart from end-game raiding, though a lot of other things changed that made it less fun, as well (adding difficulty levels to raids, for example).

YMMV, but I like the direction that the devs chose on this one.

Yummymango's Avatar


Yummymango
01.19.2012 , 05:13 PM | #17
Very frankly community existed in wrath also and I pretty much recognized every decent player who raided on my server, participated in the general char discussions and random chats with friends from time to time.
Running instances is not the only way to build community (and I would argue if it even helps in any good way).

Skann's Avatar


Skann
01.19.2012 , 06:12 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Valtrim View Post
The community that I'm talking about isn't a mirage at all. It existed, once upon a time, pre-Wrath in WoW on the server that I played. Like I said, modern WoW (and I use WoW because it's the only game I've played that had a PvE queue system) has nothing apart from hardmode raids and rated BGs to encourage people to play together for any length of time. WoW was growing in a big way before Activision acquired Blizzard and everything was made to cater to casuals.

Stop and think about your experiences so far in TOR: do you recognize toons outside your own circle of friends (and, if you have one, your guild)? If you've played WoW, is it the same there? A community exists on a server when there's a persistence of dialogue between the players on it; I'd like to see server-specific (realm) forums added to facilitate this further.

WoW was a fun game for me back when it mattered which server you played on apart from end-game raiding, though a lot of other things changed that made it less fun, as well (adding difficulty levels to raids, for example).

YMMV, but I like the direction that the devs chose on this one.
So you want everyone to bow down to your elitist views, is that it? "everything was made to cater to casuals", "back when it mattered which server you played", "adding difficulty levels to raids".

Do I have to be penalized if I'm not playing during the 'right time' at the 'right server'? I don't think so. I felt forced to skip 3-4 mid level FPs because I didn't have the will to stay in Fleet spamming General to (maybe) form a group. And I don't care about semantics of LFG or LFM, really.

Do people that enjoy PVP have to worry about any of this crap (well, now they will start feeling the joys of a 'community' while waiting for a hour to do a single Warzone, just to get trampled by a pre-made)? No. Then why should I have to go to all these loops to do what I like? Why do I have to spend my time forming a group and moving from A to B to do a Flashpoint?

There's only one community, the SWTOR one. Server based communities are a fallacy, a fantasy, a myth. Stop spreading it. At best, you make friends on your guild. At best.

The game needs a cross-server LFG feature for both PVE and PVP content urgently.

Picoom's Avatar


Picoom
01.19.2012 , 06:56 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Yummymango View Post
I know man. This thing has been posted so many times on forums but unfortunately as of now no feedback from BW.
No feedback? Are you for real? They've said it over and over and over again, that there will be NO LFG system short/mid-term.

Valan's Avatar


Valan
01.19.2012 , 07:05 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Skann View Post
The current LFG is a gimmick. I want automatic grouping system such as the Warzone one.
I am confused as to how you would even implement an instanced pvp system without a "queue", since you need a team to play against?
Tactician, Operative of Rapture
a 16 player Operations guild on The Shadowlands