Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Republic side is horribly boring...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Republic side is horribly boring...

zrseale's Avatar


zrseale
01.18.2012 , 09:47 AM | #21
I think this is ultimately a matter of opinion. I really enjoyed smuggler class quests because of the interesting companions. And killing skavak was so satisfying.

Zantul's Avatar


Zantul
01.18.2012 , 10:28 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Blood_Burger View Post
This is a matter of opinion. If you don't agree, that's fine.

Trooper and Jedi put me to sleep. Played them to 30 and 38 respectively. By the time I hit Taris I started to feel the decline, Nar Shaddaa was tough, and then by the time I hit Tattooine I was done. I pushed ahead to Alderaan on my Jedi but couldn't finish.

The only character I've remotely had fun with thus far is Sith Warrior. (22)

I'd like to try Smuggler as a last resort, but I don't know if its worth investing the time again.

I had really high hopes for this game. Not unsubscribing just yet, but I'm almost there.

Flame on if you must, but I'm sure there are others that feel this way.
Jedi Knight gets good at 40 and I will tell you why. You are a Jedi the Dark Side is quiker yes but not better. By the time you get to 40 you will have honed all your skills and you did it slowly so every move you do you do it well. Also the Knight gets all his good skills late game 40+ is where they get saucy.
It is better to be feared than loved. Love is like a chain of obligation, and because man is sadly wicked it is broken at every opportunity to serve self interest. However fear is maintained by the dread of punishment which never abandons you.
Darth Venger Prophecy of the 5

Phyreblade's Avatar


Phyreblade
01.18.2012 , 10:57 AM | #23
And this is where it quickly becomes a matter of opinion, yes.

I absolutely loved playing a Smuggler all the way through. The story, to me, was fun, absolute fun. My smuggler was an independent. She did as she liked without any real allegience to anyone but her own self, her friends, and her ultimate family. She wasn't bound by any real code or rulebook. And her personality was just downright funny. Her last comment, to the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic, mind you, goes something like, "It was so much fun to fight for the Republic...even if I was only tricked into thinking I was..." I can't tell you how often, as I was going along, I literally laughed my butt off over something my smuggler did or said.

Maybe it's the fun I had with the smuggler that made the Bounty Hunter my second best favorite character class, mind you. By the time I decided to truly try out something on the "other side" of the game, I was so hooked on the fun aspect of playing an independent and engaging character, that only the Bounty Hunter could really compare. The Sith are bound up to whatever silly power struggles so consume the Sith all the time and the Agents are just James Bond in space, cleaning up whatever mess the Sith have made. But the Bounty Hunter rocks the world, all the while reminding people, "I am not an Imperial, they just pay me." Classic stuff, that.

At this point, those are the two classes I really enjoy. The rest are...meh. Could take it or not. Whenever people toss around words like "Epic" I just smile. I play to have fun, to laugh even. I'm not out to make sure I win any brownie points or to prove to anyone how much of a bad*** I am. That may be why I don't scream and rail into chat during pvp matches when we -- OMG! -- lose and why do people get so dang "panties in a wad" during losing matches anyway, sheesh.

It's a game, enjoy whatever it is you're doing, let me enjoy what I'm doing. And move the heck along.
"Why can't things be easy? Just once!"
-- Gaibriel, Sawbones Scoundrel on the Shadowlands Server

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
01.18.2012 , 10:19 PM | #24
Personal opinion can be a fascinating thing, though. I haven't actually found a story I didn't find at least somewhat engaging, both the class stories and the faction stories. I think they're all written very well. My main is level 45, a Jedi Knight, so that's the story I'm most familiar with but I've played all the classes through at least a little way (12-20).

The main thing that will get people's attention for any given story, I think, is the type of story you're playing through and - if you're inclined to consider it - your character's motivations. There's considerable variation with every class, I think, in terms of how you get to react to the story in question and that can prompt some very interesting and at times amusing reactions from the NPCs.

I found the Smuggler missions very funny, in different ways as a male Smuggler than a female Smuggler. I found the Bounty Hunter story to be edgy and quite satisfying. The little I saw of the two Sith classes seemed to be very much 'You are bad, be bad, yo' storylines so it's quite arguable that they're just as 'boring' as any Republic story - I think it depends on what kind of story you like and how much you think about why your character is doing what your character does.

If you like stories about independents then definitely, Smuggler and Bounty Hunter are arguably the 'best' stories for those. If you like stories about characters within a military order you might find the Trooper - and perhaps the Imperial Agent - to be more fun.

Should you then throw in the twist that you're playing a character in a military structure who happens to be the best in his/her field but also resents (or at least struggles with) the command structure then you've got a potentially different story on your hands. Sure, the events are pretty much the same but how you react to them - and the feedback you get from the NPCs - can make all the difference between a yawnfest and a truly enjoyable time.

Back to the original question, though, I have to disagree. I don't find the Republic stories boring. I can see how some people would but I take time to think about my character's background and for me (yep, personal opinion) that in-character motivation is all part of the fun. It's part of what makes a story rich - after all, it's an interactive story. You might not have had a hand in writing it but you're certainly helping tell it.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Valyxa's Avatar


Valyxa
01.19.2012 , 05:14 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by ZakMorgan View Post
Yep, its partly why I ditched my Gunslinger for a Sniper, and also because the IA story blows the Smuggler's out of the water.
What? The Smuggler story and character are rogueish, engaging and funny, like when you get your callsign "I wanna be called CRACKERJACK. No,no, that sounded better in my mind, make it ACE"... priceless. I heartily laughed at least three dozen times already and I'm only in my 40s...

The IA storyline is just a cardboard copy of every Mission Impossible, Bourne and James Bond plot element ever imagined. Sabotage this, infiltrate that, forge some numbers, get screwed by your betters, work for the friggin Sith, do this, do that. I found IA extremely unengaging.

Val

iCanUseTheForce's Avatar


iCanUseTheForce
01.19.2012 , 07:34 AM | #26
I'll be honest, I've played further into the stories of Rep Jedi than I have Imps. And even though I'm deeper into the Rep stories, I feel the Imp stories are better, more personal, heavier. The only problem is with the Sith classes I get bored constantly hunting in old tombs for buried stuff.

Jiraiya_Goketsu's Avatar


Jiraiya_Goketsu
01.19.2012 , 08:13 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Blood_Burger View Post
This is a matter of opinion. If you don't agree, that's fine.

Trooper and Jedi put me to sleep. Played them to 30 and 38 respectively. By the time I hit Taris I started to feel the decline, Nar Shaddaa was tough, and then by the time I hit Tattooine I was done. I pushed ahead to Alderaan on my Jedi but couldn't finish.

The only character I've remotely had fun with thus far is Sith Warrior. (22)

I'd like to try Smuggler as a last resort, but I don't know if its worth investing the time again.

I had really high hopes for this game. Not unsubscribing just yet, but I'm almost there.

Flame on if you must, but I'm sure there are others that feel this way.
I vote they add the Lannik!!

grania's Avatar


grania
01.19.2012 , 08:28 AM | #28
I find it dull but it may be because I dislike Coruscant so much; it's trashy hallway after trashy hallway and a huge senate area which is all extremely time consuming and unpleasant to traverse on foot. I've made dozens of republic alts, trying to find the one that makes me happy, but if I even get off the starter planet I usually fade out by the time I reach Ria.

Last night I managed to get my sage to Taris and I'm so excited to get started on it. TREES!!! My husband hates Taris for some reason but I think it's incredible looking, both on the Republic side and the Empire side. It's like a .. post, post apocalyptic world So I'm definitely reinvigorated.

But yeargg, Coruscant, the inevitable, inescapable, life sucking pit that is Coruscant ruins Republic for me
--,-'-{## ##}-'-,--
"Mama, I dies your character, sorree!"

Valyxa's Avatar


Valyxa
01.19.2012 , 08:40 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by grania View Post
I find it dull but it may be because I dislike Coruscant so much; it's trashy hallway after trashy hallway and a huge senate area which is all extremely time consuming and unpleasant to traverse on foot. I've made dozens of republic alts, trying to find the one that makes me happy, but if I even get off the starter planet I usually fade out by the time I reach Ria.

Last night I managed to get my sage to Taris and I'm so excited to get started on it. TREES!!! My husband hates Taris for some reason but I think it's incredible looking, both on the Republic side and the Empire side. It's like a .. post, post apocalyptic world So I'm definitely reinvigorated.

But yeargg, Coruscant, the inevitable, inescapable, life sucking pit that is Coruscant ruins Republic for me
That's so funny because I could say the exact same thing about Dromund Kaas. It's dark, it's rainy, it's muddy, it's gloomy, I hated it...

On the other side I loved Coruscant with its ever-dusking, ever-bristling city life, the idea of the low-lives living in the basement of the planet and the rich people in the large towers.

Val

grania's Avatar


grania
01.19.2012 , 08:49 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Valyxa View Post
That's so funny because I could say the exact same thing about Dromund Kaas. It's dark, it's rainy, it's muddy, it's gloomy, I hated it...

On the other side I loved Coruscant with its ever-dusking, ever-bristling city life, the idea of the low-lives living in the basement of the planet and the rich people in the large towers.

Val
Lol naturally I love Dromund Kaas, I look forward to going there on every alt I make. I think it's beautiful. I guess it just suits my tastes more than a grungy city. I suppose what might be the problem is the lack of diversity in both the zones, one is all alleyways and the other is all ruins.

Still, I'll take my mud and lightning and ruins over piles of trash and derelict speeders and crates any day.
--,-'-{## ##}-'-,--
"Mama, I dies your character, sorree!"