Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dark side choices...how do you feel about them?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Dark side choices...how do you feel about them?

MWidowmaker
04.18.2012 , 09:57 AM | #21
depends on the character.... my sith warrior is pretty much a kill first ask questions later type, but my agent is more the save who we can but kill who really needs killing type

Clonedzero
04.18.2012 , 10:20 AM | #22
they don't really make me feel bad. i just dont like them because its often times stupid and unnecessary. alot of times it doesnt even make sense. its just being evil / violent for the sake of being evil / violent, theres no real reason behind it. and thus is boring to me.

if my character has reason to kill someone, i'll absolutely take the darkside choice and kill them. but most of the time lightside is the one that actually makes sense.

i just dont find random violence and being a total jerk for no reason to be "cool" or "******" but thats just my opinion.

FalcoLombardi
04.18.2012 , 11:00 AM | #23
I only choose the Darkside choice when someone deserves it, or if it would be a merciful death instead of keeping them alive in a prison or whatever
......|||
======= God Bless
......|||
......|||

Ashu-ri
04.18.2012 , 11:40 AM | #24
The only darkside choice I have ever felt remotely bad about on either my republic or empire characters was:

Spoiler

Other than that, no. And it's fun making some darkside choices on my empire characters.

Celacia
04.18.2012 , 08:47 PM | #25
It depends on both the character and the choice in question. My characters generally frown on the wanton killing of civilians or innocents. Other than that, alignment hasn't really played much of a part in their decision-making process.

A lot of the dark options that I have seen don't really make sense as dark choices to me (and the same is true for light options). For example, my agent is still haunted by the dark side choice she had to make at the end of chapter 1. It was a hard thing to do, but it was the right one, despite the cost. Personally, I don't really feel that the alignments assigned to the choices there were accurate - both choices were pretty dark, to be honest.

MWidowmaker
04.18.2012 , 11:07 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Celacia View Post
tFor example, my agent is still haunted by the dark side choice she had to make at the end of chapter 1. It was a hard thing to do, but it was the right one, despite the cost. Personally, I don't really feel that the alignments assigned to the choices there were accurate - both choices were pretty dark, to be honest.
Spoiler

Karkais
04.19.2012 , 12:59 AM | #27
Rather too often the difference between light/dark side options is very simple.
let them live = light side
kill them = dark side
I wish there was a bit more variety than that.

As to feeling bad about dark side choices, yeah I have that. I am partial to villains for many different reasons, too deep to explain here. So I have thoroughly enjoyed going through most of the evil options available to me. There are cases that made me feel genuinely bad about what I did, (part of the thrill why I like playing villain).

For example, mistreating Vette who is cute and has done nothing wrong, just for the fun of it.

There are some cases where a NPC helped me over a course of planetary storyline, over multiple missions. There is sometimes a chance to reward this dedication by killing them. "You have outlived your usefulness". (propably what the 'treachery' part meant in inquisitor trailer etc dev stories about inqs).

Killing a nameless nobody you just met has less emotional impact than killing someone you know, especially someone who has done nothing to deserve that fate. So whether I feel bad about something, it depends on the events leading up to that situation. I can say that there are plenty such cases in SWTOR, which makes it great. Writers seem to understand how to work the player.

Bioware doesnt always succeed in this though. For example, the events that lead to the title "heartless" on the characters who start at Hutta. It would have been better to hear the Evocii talk about what they tried to accomplish, before you crush their efforts.
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

Celacia
04.19.2012 , 01:08 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by MWidowmaker View Post
Spoiler
Spoiler

geulsae
04.19.2012 , 08:42 AM | #29
Just finished Nar Shaddaa (NS) on my Sith Inquisitor. I'm all out DS.
Spoiler

dooseyboy
04.19.2012 , 09:11 AM | #30
i mostly first and foremost pick what i think i would do in that situation, the first week or so of playing thats what i did, but when i found out that going lighter or darker affected the equipment and stuff then i started puring the light side choices.
Master Dar'Nala

CpnSparkle
Maralukan Jedi Consular