Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dark side choices...how do you feel about them?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Dark side choices...how do you feel about them?

Cassynova
01.17.2012 , 11:43 AM | #1
When you make darkside choices for a character, like the major ones of killing a good npc and such, do you feel bad about it any?

Do you feel gleeful, detatched, or what?

lokdron
01.17.2012 , 11:50 AM | #2
I enjoy it the dark side choice at the end of belsavis had me similing the whole evening it was that awesome.

Jenovan
01.17.2012 , 12:38 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Cassynova View Post
When you make darkside choices for a character, like the major ones of killing a good npc and such, do you feel bad about it any?

Do you feel gleeful, detatched, or what?
Define a "good NPC". Most of the ones I remember having a choice to kill them or not had good tactical or emotional reasons for wanting them alive or dead, and most of them were not shining beacons of light I'd consider "good".

If my Hunter decides to kill someone, it's because 1) it was stipulated by my employer, 2) it's tactically sound or they're too dangerous to let live, or 3) because they freakin' deserve it (her discretion and impression of the character comes into play here). Haven't really had any regrets yet. There have been some NPCs who I thought should be killed but I haven't been given a choice, though...
Ebon Hawk * The Thirteenth Legion * RP/Social/Casual
Kjara | Avidior | Mizret | Ysmena
Forging Fortune * Aviditas

Cassynova
01.17.2012 , 01:14 PM | #4
I've barely begun my BH, but one case...

Spoiler

Another quest (diff class) gives the choice of killing a lightside jedi or darkside sith. Lightside npcs are normally considered "Good". But also, any non-harmful npc would be considered at least neutral.

That being said, I think many of the choices are really more Lawful/Chaotic choices...and I've seen some choices where the "dark side" choice is the more "good" one. (anything where the choice is...the truth must come out...blegh)

But my question is about the obvious evil darkside choices.

ejadavidson
01.17.2012 , 01:27 PM | #5
I'm not very far into the story, only lvl 24 with my Sith Inquisiter, but I really REALLY wanted Nefarie, my sith inquisiter, to kill Darth Lachris the 'mayor' of Balmorra. I disliked her intensly, and really disliked her treating me like her errand monkey so I actually refused her last quest. Too bad there wasn't an option to cauterize her throat with a lighsaber.

I want to kill Zash. And Khem certainly doesn't like her. For now I have to put up with her, but I have a feeling her time will come.

Other than that, Nefarie is a 'good' sith, if that isn't an oxymoron. I only kill people who are arrogant, mouthy jerks.

I have over 2000 light points and 150 dark. My character hates the Impire anyway, how could she like a form of government that made her a slave? For now, it suits her to go along, but she does whatever she can, however small, to undermine it.

AelixVII
01.17.2012 , 01:36 PM | #6
Pretty good because it fits my character's personality perfectly. I'm up to the end of Chapter 1 on my BH. I don't feel bad because it's a game.

OldVengeance
01.17.2012 , 01:46 PM | #7
Sometimes, yes. I'm generally a lightside type of guy. Back in the days of playing KOTOR it took me a lot of practice to be able to maintain a darkside character. Still, I tihnk I've gotten the hang of it now and go with what I think the character would do.

LyriaFrost
01.17.2012 , 01:47 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ejadavidson View Post
I'm not very far into the story, only lvl 24 with my Sith Inquisiter, but I really REALLY wanted Nefarie, my sith inquisiter, to kill Darth Lachris the 'mayor' of Balmorra. I disliked her intensly, and really disliked her treating me like her errand monkey so I actually refused her last quest. Too bad there wasn't an option to cauterize her throat with a lighsaber.
I felt the same way, playing my sorceress. She clearly looks down on you so much. I wanted to just stab her in the face, and say "You know, I've killed one darth already. What's one more?"

Quote:
I want to kill Zash. And Khem certainly doesn't like her. For now I have to put up with her, but I have a feeling her time will come.
Zash started out well. I liked her at first. Now I realize she just sees me as a path to power. *sigh*

Quote:
Other than that, Nefarie is a 'good' sith, if that isn't an oxymoron. I only kill people who are arrogant, mouthy jerks.

I have over 2000 light points and 150 dark. My character hates the Impire anyway, how could she like a form of government that made her a slave? For now, it suits her to go along, but she does whatever she can, however small, to undermine it.
My sorceress is a "light" sith too. She treats non-sith politely (unless they're jerks), is friendly with the soldiers and working people, tells them to stop calling her "my lord" and such (at least when the dialogue gives me the option). With sith? It's the exact opposite. She treats them like garbage, and thinks nothing of them. She'd happily carve a swath through their whole power structure.

There's a woman in one of the tatooine quests that's sending you off against a force-user, and ranting about how they have to be culled because "what would happen if the lowest of the low, some SLAVE, could think they could wield the same power as a sith?" In the cutscene, my sorceress folded her arms and just stared at her, but sadly it didn't give me any sort of dialogue option to backhand her, or even clear my throat and say "You know, *I* was a slave..." I was disappointed at that.

Sraom
01.17.2012 , 02:04 PM | #9
As an overall light-side JK, most dark side choices I made don't make me feel bad.

I spare most but there are ones I don't tolerate. Traitors always die unless they are useful and should be interrogated. Certain people are too dangerous to be left alive.

Some dark side choices and some non-LS choices involve preserving dangerous technology. I believe files and weapon prototypes are valuable and should be improved or at least studied. When a project fails, I believe one should look back several steps and study what's wrong, instead of burying the whole project.

Interestingly, burying dangerous weapon projects strikes to me as choices coming out from emotions instead of reasoning. So much for there is no emotion, there is peace.

I also believe in military strategies. He who defends everything defends nothing. Be unpredictable instead of predictable. Jedi should measure between cause and symptoms, and try to solve the cause if possible, instead of running all over the place trying to heal the symptoms.

ejadavidson
01.17.2012 , 02:11 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by LyriaFrost View Post
My sorceress is a "light" sith too. She treats non-sith politely (unless they're jerks), is friendly with the soldiers and working people, tells them to stop calling her "my lord" and such (at least when the dialogue gives me the option). With sith? It's the exact opposite. She treats them like garbage, and thinks nothing of them. She'd happily carve a swath through their whole power structure.
Oh, I'm exactly the same way with Nefarie, she's a sorceress as well. I'm polite to non-sith people (Khem hates that). I let The Flame go, and even though the commander was almost frothing at the mouth, I just told him basically to shut up and deal with it. Way back on Korriban I let the Jedi go and told him about the plan. I did kill that one commander's sith son in the prison on Balmorra because he was an arrogant jerk. I didn't feel bad about that at all, though I did feel a little bad about kill his dad.

Quote:
There's a woman in one of the tatooine quests that's sending you off against a force-user, and ranting about how they have to be culled because "what would happen if the lowest of the low, some SLAVE, could think they could wield the same power as a sith?" In the cutscene, my sorceress folded her arms and just stared at her, but sadly it didn't give me any sort of dialogue option to backhand her, or even clear my throat and say "You know, *I* was a slave..." I was disappointed at that.
Have you tried several conversation options? Sometimes I'll hit escape during the conversation and try different options because sometimes your character says something different than what you think they're going to say. I'll keep an eye for this woman. I have more class quests on Nar Shaddaa yet, and then off to Tatooine. Can't wait to meet Andronikos Revel =D