Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Simple Solution, New Servers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Simple Solution, New Servers

Daeborn
12.14.2011 , 12:55 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Magnks View Post
I think an easy way to satisfy players that didn't get early access is to make a few new servers available on the 20th.

This way everybody starts at the same time and nobody will be a week behind in progression.

I really dont mind waiting until the 20th to play, I just don't want to be a week behind everyone else, that defeats the purpose of pre-ordering a game doesn't it?

I know im QQ'ing, but I just want to start on an even plane with everyone else on my server
Yeah we all know servers grow on trees. No testing is done, no setup, nothing. Just pick em off the ground when they're ripe enough to connect to.

BrimstoneAshe
12.14.2011 , 12:56 PM | #22
I think an easy way to satisfy players that didn't get early access is to make a few new servers available on the 20th.

This way everybody starts at the same time and nobody will be a week behind in progression.

I really dont mind waiting until the 20th to play, I just don't want to be a week behind everyone else, that defeats the purpose of pre-ordering a game doesn't it?

I know im QQ'ing, but I just want to start on an even plane with everyone else on my server
It's not a simple solution, and Bioware has actually addressed this very topic. But as always, no one listens to them.
I'm about to take over the galaxy, so if you want to be on the good side of my dark side, you better start kissing my back side.

Ashkael
12.14.2011 , 12:59 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Carltronus View Post
Launch with too many servers, after the initial "First month exodus" many servers are empty, forcing merges.

Doesn't seem like such a good idea, does it?
On top of that, serves merges severely impact subscriber morale. Warhammer went with the attitude of "Whoops! Too many servers, we'll just clean this up a bit..." and the playerbase promptly pointed this out as a sign that the game was an utter failure. A lot of players realize that MMOs are an investment. When servers start getting shut down, they'll avoid the game like the plague because no one wants to lose their investment.

BrimstoneAshe
12.14.2011 , 01:02 PM | #24
Posting this since the OP and many others crying about the EGA clearly don't follow the developers communications. This posted just yesterday from SR:

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and roll out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.
I'm about to take over the galaxy, so if you want to be on the good side of my dark side, you better start kissing my back side.

Magnks
12.14.2011 , 01:03 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Daeborn View Post
Yeah we all know servers grow on trees. No testing is done, no setup, nothing. Just pick em off the ground when they're ripe enough to connect to.
I'm pretty sure the testing phase was during the beta, yeah?

curzen
12.14.2011 , 01:22 PM | #26

I still think that seeing the game as a race is silly. Am I glad I got in yesterday and have tons of fun? Hell yeah. Am I making any kind of effort to get to 50 asap? Hell no. "Main" is level 11. The fun really is in the story with this game. If you race to pwn you just gimp it. I can't see how that'll be fun and how the content will sustain you if you play that way.

Daeborn
12.14.2011 , 01:29 PM | #27
I'm pretty sure the testing phase was during the beta, yeah?
You don't have a clue do you? Have you ever setup a large scale server farm? Added new servers (blades)? Do you have any knowledge of what you're talking about?

Servers are just the small portion, that's the hardware. After than you need to run a lot of scripts to setup the databases. Depending on what database your using, Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL etc. It can take a while. Then you have to test, test, and more tests to make sure the configuration meets the spec. And there's even more than just those simple facts involved. There's hundreds of hours spent in setting up and implementing servers. Networks also have to be setup and administered.

This is not your mommy's laptop we're talking about.

Magnks
12.14.2011 , 01:32 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Daeborn View Post
This is not your mommy's laptop we're talking about.
my mom bought me a desktop you jerk. LOL

Daeborn
12.14.2011 , 01:33 PM | #29
my mom bought me a desktop you jerk. LOL
Surprised she even did that. You'd probably poke your eye out on the DVD tray.

ChicksDigHarleys
12.14.2011 , 01:36 PM | #30
I know im QQ'ing
What does it matter if people are a week ahead of you? They'll be the same ones QQing next week how they have nothing to do at level 50.
You are playing a frickin video game.
You are not hardcore by any reasonable definition.