Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
02.01.2012 , 05:25 PM | #521
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
It seems that the Same Canned Answer is all that BioWare is offering in regard to [Flirt] prompts that stem from mission NPC conversations. In reply to a ticket where I observed these were not appearing for my character when the NPC was of the same gender, I received the following reply:



I just don't see how BioWare can claim to "appreciate all their fans" while declining to address this issue. How many Dev posts did that thread in General Discussion about white lightsaber crystals get?

They care? Really? Really, BioWare? I am not buying it. And I probably won't be re-upping my subscription if BioWare keeps trying to ride the fence.

Last night, my Smuggler was on Nar Shaddaa, running a class story mission - the one which introduced me to the Wookiee, Bowdaar. I fought a squad of brutes with him and as my (male) Smuggler was leaving, I saw a (female) NPC with a mission-available mark over her head.

So I talk to her, and she comes oozing up to me all suggestively about what a real strong man I was and - predictably - there was the option to [Flirt]. But my Smuggler isn't interested. Because shw was overly familiar, I took the more snarky response - and that ended the dialog, no mission available from there. I have no idea what the other non-[Flirt] option would have unlocked.

Later, once I had returned to my ship, having completed the Nar Shaddaa portion of my class story, I received a distress call from a (female) starship captain. Again - and bizarrely since it was a distress call, the middle conversational prompt in reply was a [Flirt]. The first I chose gave me -1 affection from Corso. I hit Esc and restarted. The only other non-[Flirt] option... gave me -1 affection from Corso. I kept this result because clearly I was going to be punished regardless of what I chose, if it wasn't a [Flirt].

Really BioWare? Really? Not only do I not get to [Flirt] with NPCs that would interest me, and have to dailu see two to four opportunities to [Flirt] available which don't interest me, but I am actually going to be penalized for not flirting where you decide I ought to? Really?

Can you go over that part where you say "you hold your customers in the highest regard and you will be supporting me to your full knowledge and extent", again please? With a straight face? Seriously?

It is disappointing that I cannot play a Smuggler without encountering daily indications that I have be discounted as irrelevant. To encounter instances where I am penalized for not taking those very options that marginalize me is outrageous.

That is just really, really unfortunately thoughtless and inconsiderate and it is swiftly eroding what limited patience and understanding I had.
I have already cancelled my Subscription, if they don't get SGRAs sorted out soon enough, I'll probably just play Mass Effect 3 till Guild Wars 2 is out, because honestly, I was told this could be played as a single player game, much like Mass Effect or Dragon Age, yet I don't have any SGRAs where I can take part in the romance arcs of the game, romance arcs were a main part of my enjoyment of the ME and DA series, especially Liara T'soni and Leliana, others may not have cared, but I always have especially where BioWare game are concerned, I'm pretty sick and tired now, I've already finished all the Force classes and made all viable Roleplays of characters that wouldn't use a romance, now I don't even want to play it anymore, because there is nothing to do for me.

Tenebram's Avatar


Tenebram
02.01.2012 , 05:40 PM | #522
Seriously this is getting rediculous... they've copy and pasted the same message continuously for 3 months to every thread, ticket, email and press release. If nothing else they could atleast write something new.. as it is its like they arent even considering it they are just stalling hoping people will give up so they can avoid adding it all together.

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
02.01.2012 , 05:46 PM | #523
Has anyone else noticed that the canned comment actually does not promise any SGRs at all? Look at it again. It says new companions with new romance options. That could just as easily mean the new companions will offer new OGRs. Context implies that they are speaking of SGRs, but they have not - in fact have refused to - confirm that.

BioWare! Clarification is needed!

Nozybidaj's Avatar


Nozybidaj
02.01.2012 , 05:52 PM | #524
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post

BioWare! Clarification is needed!
Really? I thought it was rather clear. Any time you see a fluff marketing response like that, which doesn't actually say anything of significance or address the actual issue, you can pretty much bet the only thought about the issue was what to write in the actual statement.

I don't think BW has really even thought about addressing the missing content, and the longer we go without a real response the less likely they ever will. I would agree they are just ignoring the issue hoping it goes away, that is if I believed they actually thought about it at all.

Masterdeathh's Avatar


Masterdeathh
02.01.2012 , 06:17 PM | #525
Quote: Originally Posted by Nozybidaj View Post
Really? I thought it was rather clear. Any time you see a fluff marketing response like that, which doesn't actually say anything of significance or address the actual issue, you can pretty much bet the only thought about the issue was what to write in the actual statement.

I don't think BW has really even thought about addressing the missing content, and the longer we go without a real response the less likely they ever will. I would agree they are just ignoring the issue hoping it goes away, that is if I believed they actually thought about it at all.
I seem to remember about the same quote being said by Blizzard when it came to different sexes of warlock demons saying they wanted to add them at some point but the way it looks they only said that to quiet the crowd asking for it and have no intention of making it ever happen.

While i can guarantee atleast half the people wanting same sex romances are not actually interested in it in real life the fact still remains it has been there as an option for the last few Bioware games so it seems like a huge *** when they put different companions in this game but force you into a certain relationship when each charater has their own story.

ProfessorCaprion's Avatar


ProfessorCaprion
02.01.2012 , 06:22 PM | #526
I'm not quite ready to join the doomsayers and lose faith just yet. The game's been out for only a little over a month, after all. Now, come spring and we still haven't gotten anything more than the same repeated responses, then I think we'll have some justification to worry.

stonedhippo's Avatar


stonedhippo
02.01.2012 , 06:38 PM | #527
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthWarduke View Post
1. I am a straight married guy with kids.
2. I am playing a female toon (big whoop).
3. If my toon is going to romance anyone I want it to be a female.

End of my story.
+1

guy characters should have the same option i guess, idk, but i am mostly looking for this one.
"And the reign will kill us all, Throw ourselves against the wall. But no one else can see, The preservation of the martyr in me."
-Slipknot
SICK > you

Nozybidaj's Avatar


Nozybidaj
02.01.2012 , 06:39 PM | #528
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorCaprion View Post
I'm not quite ready to join the doomsayers and lose faith just yet. The game's been out for only a little over a month, after all. Now, come spring and we still haven't gotten anything more than the same repeated responses, then I think we'll have some justification to worry.
If I continued to play by Spring I'll have leveled all my characters and all sense of pacing or context of the romances to the story line of my characters will have been ruined. The only reason I am still here is because I am actually having fun playing characters that I didn't intend to play. The novelty of that is quickly wearing off though.

The statement released saying they "plan" to add them post launch is from months ago. In the months since then they don't have a single update to that? This should have been a no brainer slam dunk addition for them. I for one don't see myself sitting around waiting for months before I'm allowed to be included in the game's content.

I know I'm being probably more pessimistic than is necessary because of my frustration over this, but any good I have in the game is always tinged with the sour taste of this issue lingering in the background.

kraidy's Avatar


kraidy
02.01.2012 , 06:47 PM | #529
Sadly this is the closes we will ever get to S/S romances.
http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/a..._57_608400.jpg

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
02.01.2012 , 07:28 PM | #530
Since the forum is patently inadequate as a means of bringing this matter to BioWare's attention, I would like to suggest people take the time to address their concerns through other channels:

support@swtor.com - include the keyword Venus in the subject and body of the text, as this is suggested by Customer Service to earmark your concern as related to missions in game. All romance / intimacy options, whether companion story arcs or casual NPC encounters, are initiated through beginning a mission from the NPC.

feedbackSWTOR@swtor.com - this is the address for giving your impressions of the game so far. It is helpful to put your concern in context by also explaining what you like and enjoy about the game, and why the lack of SGAs is therefore disappointing.

It might not hurt to mention and to provide a link to this forum thread, and to mention that it is the only thread on same-gender content which moderators allow anywhere on these forums.

Should we continue to receive a non-answer answer, I will be sharing contact information for various advocacy and media organizations, which may be better positioned to call for an explanation or to bring attention to BioWare's disinclusive policies.