Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier
01.17.2012 , 02:48 PM | #21
Having a little cut here just to tally up.

So far its

2a - 3

2b - 4

Had to read all the posts twice, some did not seem to say either way.

Please keep on topic and we do not need the dooms day sayers :P.

JaylaClark
01.17.2012 , 03:09 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by elexier View Post
Having a little cut here just to tally up.

So far its

2a - 3

2b - 4

Had to read all the posts twice, some did not seem to say either way.

Please keep on topic and we do not need the dooms day sayers :P.
Valid point.

I do realize how my shooting through the ranks Jedi Sentinel would miss out on Kira regardless. I also kind of want to see Mako, if she's really a good male option (she's young-acting enough that I wonder if it can be done well), become a s/s option for everyone, but understand what that means for my friend who's a Smuggler right now.

So having new companions available -- regardless of level -- seems best.

MistressMagee
01.17.2012 , 04:19 PM | #23
restructuring existing romances seems to make sense for some companions to be sure. Characters in the AI storyline comes to mind, Kaliyo's been mentioned, but im also wondering about Vector as a SS option. It would make my male Ai happy at least . I would roll a female to try out the romance, but I honestly want it to my male toon. It seems to fit with whats happening in Vector's story arch anyway.

Other characters, I just can't see, at least not yet. Quinn comes to mind, but at the same time it would be absolutely hilarious to see this guy in love with a giant male SW XD

In all honestly, I would just love the choice. How hard would it be to make it a thing you turn on and off in preferences? That way if you don't want it cause it doesn't roll with your head cannon, then its easily turned off with a check mark.

For example say I want to play a female AI but want the middle choices still for the story progression *like the male has) but I don't want to flirt. Turn buddy gay, or turn yourself on as lesbian in preferences, and run with it. For those of us who want alot of action, let us choose "bi" for our character. And for those who are deathly afraid of gays in general can just say no to it all and they would never have to see the "flirt" option for their character on the sex they don't want to bang.

Romanticyde
01.17.2012 , 04:24 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by elexier View Post
And I do not mean the same copy paste message that gets thrown onto every topic that discusses this, I mean no offense to the admins but a bit of clarification would be nice.

Things to clarify:

1 - A rough eta on same sex relationships (flirting ect) Were not after a nailed down etched in stone, be all end all date, Just a rough idea. A week/Month maybe 3 ect ?

2 - Those that happen to pick the "wrong" gender at creation are currently missing out with regards to there story arc, In my example Female sentinel missing out with Kira. There are 2 ways I see to fix this.

2a - Re-write those sections to include the same options for both genders and allow players already past to "Redo" there conversations. (Bit difficult and a lot of reworking)

2b - Create equivalent content for same gender romance at level 50 (or once the CURRENT story arc is finished) So by the end of it EVERYONE has had the same options REGARDLESS of the gender they chose.

3 - This is more of a given I think, but will there be more customization options for your companions. For example something to just change your companions hair color or skin tone. (I say its a given because its something so obvious that can be expanded upon and require very little work)

These are the questions to the Developers.

My question to the forum baring in mind we already know more companions are coming with these options enabled already.

Witch do you prefer option 2a or option 2b ?

Ps - Due to threads being closed due to flame wars ect, please keep it civil and just ignore/report those that attempt to start one, And please stay on topic. I will update a count of witch is preferred every 2 days or so. (WTB poll option)
it does feel a bit like bioware neglected the same sex community especially after they championed the cause with DA and ME.... I hope this will be fixed, in any way
"In Dagobah, they call it a critter Royale with cheese"
-Mace Windu
Come to the dark side, you get a free cookie... Vader's Fist

el_pinko_grande
01.17.2012 , 04:32 PM | #25
I have mixed feelings on this. I can totally see a SS romance between my female BH and Mako, or my female IA and Kaliyo. OTOH, I really have a hard time seeing it with the SW and Vette. And I haven't leveled an SI high enough to get a sense of what the relationship with Ashara is like.

Nozybidaj
01.17.2012 , 04:34 PM | #26
They really need to open up the existing companions before they start worrying about adding new companions. The current companions are tied in nicely to the class story and that certainly helps to build that emotional attachment they want players to have with their companions.

Adding in a set of second hand companions with (at best) peripheral impact on that story simply to throw those who want same gender relations a bone would be rather insulting (though not as insulting as having been excluded from the start).

Not to mention the fact that it would be a lot less work. All that needs done (if it isn't already) is to record the PC VO for same gender romances. All the companion work is already done.

Zandilar
01.17.2012 , 04:50 PM | #27
I am pretty sure that Bioware has nixed the idea of existing companions being turned bi. I'd still like clarification, though, especially about how these SGRAs will be implemented.

I'm actually heartily sick of Kaliyo, having had her as my main companion for 24 levels (by which I mean, out and following me around, purportedly tanking but spending much of her time lying down on the job!). My Agent is pure light sided, so their personalities clash quite a bit, and I find her just a little too abrasive and stupidly brutish. I sincerely hope when they add SGRA to the game, she's not the only female option available for my Agent.

Also, I think some people are reading too much into Kaliyo's personality. There is a part of me actually hoping she turns out to be straight, not to dash the hopes of the people who like her, but because it would be going against the usual trope of the tough, irreverent butch woman being gay or bi. Straight women can be tough, irreverent, and butch too, you know! (says the soft butch, geeky, gay woman.)
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

ProfessorCaprion
01.17.2012 , 04:53 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Nozybidaj View Post
They really need to open up the existing companions before they start worrying about adding new companions. The current companions are tied in nicely to the class story and that certainly helps to build that emotional attachment they want players to have with their companions.

Adding in a set of second hand companions with (at best) peripheral impact on that story simply to throw those who want same gender relations a bone would be rather insulting (though not as insulting as having been excluded from the start).

Not to mention the fact that it would be a lot less work. All that needs done (if it isn't already) is to record the PC VO for same gender romances. All the companion work is already done.
This is what I agree with. Maybe there'd be a few line changes for gender, but otherwise I don't see how much would really have to be done.

I've actually been saving all my Courting gifts on my Consular for Nadia, and once I get her I won't do any of her companion quests until I know what the deal is. Luckily that won't hurt my gameplay too much, seeing as Tharan fits my playstyle best.

However, I DO think BioWare at least needs to give us some indication of not only when this will be done, but how they're going to do it, since there seems to be a good number of people changing their companion gifting strategies based on what may be coming.

Eternalnight
01.17.2012 , 04:54 PM | #29
Of course we want same sex romances and having romance option with Khem Val on SI, but....

... I would also like to see romances not just between main character and a companion, but a possibility of companions having romance with eachother, so that when you have multiple companions, you should also be able to manipulate two of your companions to fall in love with each other, if you want.

Jenovan
01.17.2012 , 04:57 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Eternalnight View Post
Of course we want same sex romances and having romance option with Khem Val on SI, but....

... I would also like to see romances not just between main character and a companion, but a possibility of companions having romance with eachother, so that when you have multiple companions, you should also be able to manipulate two of your companions to fall in love with each other, if you want.
This can actually happen for at least one class.

Spoiler
Ebon Hawk * The Thirteenth Legion * RP/Social/Casual
Kjara | Avidior | Mizret | Ysmena
Forging Fortune * Aviditas