Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

And I do not mean the same copy paste message that gets thrown onto every topic that discusses this, I mean no offense to the admins but a bit of clarification would be nice.

Things to clarify:

1 - A rough eta on same sex relationships (flirting ect) Were not after a nailed down etched in stone, be all end all date, Just a rough idea. A week/Month maybe 3 ect ?

2 - Those that happen to pick the "wrong" gender at creation are currently missing out with regards to there story arc, In my example Female sentinel missing out with Kira. There are 2 ways I see to fix this.

2a - Re-write those sections to include the same options for both genders and allow players already past to "Redo" there conversations. (Bit difficult and a lot of reworking)

2b - Create equivalent content for same gender romance at level 50 (or once the CURRENT story arc is finished) So by the end of it EVERYONE has had the same options REGARDLESS of the gender they chose.

3 - This is more of a given I think, but will there be more customization options for your companions. For example something to just change your companions hair color or skin tone. (I say its a given because its something so obvious that can be expanded upon and require very little work)

These are the questions to the Developers.

My question to the forum baring in mind we already know more companions are coming with these options enabled already.

Witch do you prefer option 2a or option 2b ?

Ps - Due to threads being closed due to flame wars ect, please keep it civil and just ignore/report those that attempt to start one, And please stay on topic. I will update a count of witch is preferred every 2 days or so. (WTB poll option)

Edited by elexier

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

------Reserved for poll results

Witch is preferred option 2a or 2b in the above post.

I THINK ITS A LANDSLIDE VICTORY

Option 2a - 24

Option 2b - 7

Option 3 - 1

It has come to my attention that there appears to be a THIRD option so I am Including it here rather than the main post.

OPTION 3 (Its all becomes clear please read)

FIRST - At the character creation screen, just after you select your gender you get to pick your ROMANCE PREFERENCE.

Straight - Male > Female or Male > Female, romance options (You can ONLY romance the opposite sex)

Bi - Male > Male, Female > Female, Male > Female, Female > Male, (You can romance ANYONE that is romancable)

Homosexual/Lesbian - Male > Male, Female > Female. (Only those of the same sex)

Asexual (I think thats the right word) - No Romance options ever appear.

SECONDLY - Make EVERY single romancable companion BISEXUAL, This is crucial for this to work and you will see why in a moment.

THIRDLY - When the romance options normally appear the game does a quick check to see the characters preference and acts accordingly.

FORTH and FINAL - Reset EVERY ONES companion quests to the beginning, Not only would this put EVERYONE on the same page, But also allow those that wish to to record (using fraps or whatever) there own little companion story if they wish.

Unless I am very much mistaken Very little or even No dialog actually need to change, (Unless there is specific gender references any of the conversations. (ie one calling the other boy/guy or girl/woman. And even if there is it would take all of what 2 min to record an appropriate line.

This allows....

Those that do not wish to "See" the options able to toggle them off at creation, Or heck they can get rid of the romances altogether if they so desire.

------------Witch ones---------------

It has come to my attention that there are some people that belive only certain ones should be Bi/gay so simple question witch ones. (Ill try to keep up with you lot :p)

Kira Carsen

Doc

Zenith

LT Iresso

Theran Cedrex

Nadia Grell

Andronikus Revel

Ashara Zavros

Vette

Jaesa Willsaam

Malavi Quinn

LT Pierce

Aric Jorgan

Elara Dorne

Corso Riggs

Risha

Alcavi Spaar

Mako

Torian Caldera

Kaliyo Djannis

Vector Hyllis

Ensign Raia Temple

Take from http://www.hotrodacc.com/swtor/comp.html, If I missed one let me know.

Vote away.

Edited by elexier
Updated vote count 23/01/12

Didn't they say when they announced that SGRAs would be a post-launch feature that they'd implement them through brand new companions rather than making existing ones turn bi? (Even though I totally see Kaliyo as being bi, she tends to get jealous when men hit on my FemAgent)

So if they're sticking to this, your female Knight won't be getting frisky with her padawan in a hurry one way or the other.

Yes they said it was to be a post launch feature, but I Do not recall them saying that existing companions were NOT included, Only that new companions would have these options.

Everything that is sensible is open to negotiation.

Also they do not mention when you create your character that a certain gender is required to be able to get the FULL story available for that class.

If enough people ask for it, I am sure Bio-ware WILL attempt to accommodate as best they can.

So we know that the options are coming, I'm asking what form are they coming in and a rough eta. Also witch option would you prefer.

I've said it before in other threads, but for me Kaliyo is the only romance option that seems right for a grey/darkish female cypher nine. I don't see that character as likely to pursue any of the other options and I'm actually holding that character until the option is either available or confirmed as dismissed by the devs.

As someone said in another recent thread the team that works on this is almost certainly different that the UI and core systems teams so it won't take time away from bug fixing efforts. Also in many cases (at least the 3 classes I have tried) it really shouldn't take a ton of extra studio time to add this option to existing companions.

For me this is up there with chat bubbles, increased mount speed and re-adding beta armor as content additions I'd like to see in the near future.

I find it interesting that Bioware closed a substantially larger threat and pointed us to this thread for discussion. If anyone would like to see prior debate, here you go.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=189635

I can honestly say that I would not be surprised to see this one closed as well. They've not left a single SGRA thread open since the forum wipe @ launch. I'm also not surprised to see a larger thread closed and redirected to a smaller one. This is also pretty common around here.

That said, this thread was better written and articulated with an opening that is structured such that it will hopefully engender more constructive discourse.

@OP: Maybe I'm mistaken, as I haven't gotten very far in any companion quests/stories yet, but isn't the dialog unlock based on companion affection score (so long as you meet the minimum level requirement)? If so, then as long as you don't play out the companion stories before it's implemented, then you should be able to simply jump in and play it at that time.

Of course, if you have already played through the companion dialog and stories, then we're back to the issue that you raised. I'm inclined to side with your option 2b in that case. Maybe through this discussion we'll figure out other ways that it can be done and hope that BW is listening to the ideas.

I really could careless. The only thing i care about is if it keeps people happy and paying subs so the changes I want to see included have funding and get worked on. I can't really see how anyone would be against this unless it was a group decision in a flashpoint. If it's not, it doesnt even effect you. If you don't want the same sex content, don't choose those chat options. It's quite simple and pretty damn selfish for people to say it shouldn't be included. However, if it came down to working on same sex relationships and say working on ability delay and other crucial elements, Id def hope SS stuff is put on the back burner. Yes i realize there are different departments working on all the aspects of this game, but ability delay is more a coding problem than a bug fix i would think. And the coders have to code all the SS stuff in the game. That's the only argument that makes sense against SS content and I'm sure is how Bioware is handling the release of this content and all their planned content for that matter. But even then that issue, if it even exists, would just be a delay in release.

*Note* Will not explore the SS content when put in game and really have no desire to. But that's my choice and in a RP game i would be shocked if Bioware doesn't put this in.

Didn't they say when they announced that SGRAs would be a post-launch feature that they'd implement them through brand new companions rather than making existing ones turn bi? (Even though I totally see Kaliyo as being bi, she tends to get jealous when men hit on my FemAgent)

So if they're sticking to this, your female Knight won't be getting frisky with her padawan in a hurry one way or the other.

It seems kinda murky, even the thread that kinda went violitile that was closed they just repeated the statement which seems vauge if they mean that they're making new companions that are same sex or turning some bi.

I totally agree about Kaliyo. Like on one mission she went "Aww, he's cute, don't you think?" and when I said "he's not my type" i gained affection with her 0_o so it seems suggestive but that's all it seems to be for the moment, just suggestive.

Edit: for option I pick/hope for 2a. As I stated above, Kaliyo does seem to lean both ways and from the glint into her gritty past I can imagine if she had past relationships on both sides of the playing field, so to speak.

Edited by thegrognard

I think the biggest two things are what the OP mentioned. A rough timeline (not an ETA) just saying if they think it's a several weeks task or several months task, along with word on if they are planning to implement SGRA with current companions or only new, future companions.

My expectation is, that if they do new companions, we won't see it for a long time. I can't see them adding in new companions unless it's a new one for each class all at the same time (either the same companion, or a different one for each class). If they are all different, I see that as a noticeable amount of work.

Either way, something to let us know it is in the works versus just being on the table, would be good.

It seems kinda murky, even the thread that kinda went violitile that was closed they just repeated the statement which seems vauge if they mean that they're making new companions that are same sex or turning some bi.

I totally agree about Kaliyo. Like on one mission she went "Aww, he's cute, don't you think?" and when I said "he's not my type" i gained affection with her 0_o so it seems suggestive but that's all it seems to be for the moment, just suggestive.

Edit: for option I pick/hope for 2a. As I stated above, Kaliyo does seem to lean both ways and from the glint into her gritty past I can imagine if she had past relationships on both sides of the playing field, so to speak.

I really think Kaliyo as a SS option was in the game or being worked on actively and got cut. A bunch of her chatter is either flirty or calls you babe.

I will reroll my 35 IA if she is eventually added; luckily that story is good enough to go through twice.

I do have to agree, I'd like to know who is going to be a SS option... I do admit to not getting my hopes up for the currents, because Laura Bailey, Lacey Chabert, Rachael Leigh Cook... these people do have other jobs and stuff. Major shame, too, considering I fell in love with Laura's voice in the Saint's Row game, AND Kira's my type a lot.

I can see Syreena being added, AND as a companion, though, as I'm fairly certain she's voiced by someone who is the primary co-star of another BioWare game. (LIARA DISCUSSION GROUP FTW!!! ... Anyway.) And I have a weird feeling Kimberly Brooks and Rafael Sbarge might be pressed into service for new characters, along with the other BioWare All-Stars like Mark Meer.

Oh well... I'm palling around with a Consular who's my RL gf anyway, so I'll take that for now.

An ETA would be really nice.

I do think it's interesting that there's rather a lot of suggestive dialogue in the game already. It'd be nice if we could follow through on more of it. (I'm hoping for flirt options outside of the romances. Though I've encountered oddly flirty sounding non-flirt options from time to time. It makes me think that the implementation will be relatively easy - and that there may be dialogue already recorded for some of it.)

I look forward to SS relationships in game and too would like some kind of ETA of said relationships. Also information on if to get into the relationships I might desire will I need to re-roll my characters, I am ok with this as the stores are engaging and fun.

Having a little cut here just to tally up.

So far its

2a - 3

2b - 4

Had to read all the posts twice, some did not seem to say either way.

Please keep on topic and we do not need the dooms day sayers :p.

Valid point.

I do realize how my shooting through the ranks Jedi Sentinel would miss out on Kira regardless. I also kind of want to see Mako, if she's really a good male option (she's young-acting enough that I wonder if it can be done well), become a s/s option for everyone, but understand what that means for my friend who's a Smuggler right now.

So having new companions available -- regardless of level -- seems best.

restructuring existing romances seems to make sense for some companions to be sure. Characters in the AI storyline comes to mind, Kaliyo's been mentioned, but im also wondering about Vector as a SS option. It would make my male Ai happy at least ;). I would roll a female to try out the romance, but I honestly want it to my male toon. It seems to fit with whats happening in Vector's story arch anyway.

Other characters, I just can't see, at least not yet. Quinn comes to mind, but at the same time it would be absolutely hilarious to see this guy in love with a giant male SW XD

In all honestly, I would just love the choice. How hard would it be to make it a thing you turn on and off in preferences? That way if you don't want it cause it doesn't roll with your head cannon, then its easily turned off with a check mark.

For example say I want to play a female AI but want the middle choices still for the story progression *like the male has) but I don't want to flirt. Turn buddy gay, or turn yourself on as lesbian in preferences, and run with it. For those of us who want alot of action, let us choose "bi" for our character. And for those who are deathly afraid of gays in general can just say no to it all and they would never have to see the "flirt" option for their character on the sex they don't want to bang.

And I do not mean the same copy paste message that gets thrown onto every topic that discusses this, I mean no offense to the admins but a bit of clarification would be nice.

Things to clarify:

1 - A rough eta on same sex relationships (flirting ect) Were not after a nailed down etched in stone, be all end all date, Just a rough idea. A week/Month maybe 3 ect ?

2 - Those that happen to pick the "wrong" gender at creation are currently missing out with regards to there story arc, In my example Female sentinel missing out with Kira. There are 2 ways I see to fix this.

2a - Re-write those sections to include the same options for both genders and allow players already past to "Redo" there conversations. (Bit difficult and a lot of reworking)

2b - Create equivalent content for same gender romance at level 50 (or once the CURRENT story arc is finished) So by the end of it EVERYONE has had the same options REGARDLESS of the gender they chose.

3 - This is more of a given I think, but will there be more customization options for your companions. For example something to just change your companions hair color or skin tone. (I say its a given because its something so obvious that can be expanded upon and require very little work)

These are the questions to the Developers.

My question to the forum baring in mind we already know more companions are coming with these options enabled already.

Witch do you prefer option 2a or option 2b ?

Ps - Due to threads being closed due to flame wars ect, please keep it civil and just ignore/report those that attempt to start one, And please stay on topic. I will update a count of witch is preferred every 2 days or so. (WTB poll option)

it does feel a bit like bioware neglected the same sex community especially after they championed the cause with DA and ME.... I hope this will be fixed, in any way