Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

Saiaxs
01.22.2012 , 11:15 AM | #121
How has this thread not been closed yet?

Droidist
01.22.2012 , 11:28 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Zebular View Post
I am male, I play 6 male characters and 2 female characters. I am in favor of same-gender romances. Before I start deciding how I think it would work best in the game, I would first like to see how BioWare plans to implement it.

I do not feel a proper opinion of such is something I can make without knowing what BioWare has planned and why. Regardless, I still feel this is a feature that should be in the game and am pleased to know that it has been a planned feature for some time now.
I agree with you, I would like to know a rough timeline and what they plan on doing... in a way future content is hard to do with voice acting all the time... additional overhead, which means I think same-sex companions will be new companions insteading of redoing the ones we have now, who knows they might even allow multiple partners, it would fit the smuggler for sure... Sith as well.
A force of one, yes, the solo player!

MoogleNut
01.22.2012 , 11:28 AM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by Saiaxs View Post
How has this thread not been closed yet?
Perhaps it's because it's so-far been a rational and civilised discussion on a staple feature of Bioware games without (for the most part), the bigotted vitriol we have to endure on an all-too-regular basis?

I'm actually pleasantly surprised considering the state of other recent threads on the subject.

Adding to the discussion, I personally would prefer it if exsisting characters became available (my Jedi Knight is too busy pining over Kira to get any galaxy-saving done ) - there are many instances in the game were it almost appears as if the feature was partially implememnted then just abandoned - certain comments and cinematics.

However it is implemented I just wish we knew when, I just don't feel like I'm playing a Bioware game at the moment, and that is something of a disapointment.

molvin
01.22.2012 , 11:37 AM | #124
I prefer option 2b.

As far as I've seen, though, there's also options for flirting with non-companion characters, but obviously and sadly none for NPCs of the same gender. They should absolutely add those. Otherwise some playing below level 50 feel like being in an utterly constrained world, which I don't think is intended. I for one - and that's I think very much independent of me being gay - would prefer a feeling of freedom over how I want to develop my story/the story of my virtual character(s).

Sablemyste
01.22.2012 , 11:41 AM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by FredKang View Post
Its' not a hardship but something I shouldn't have to deal with. Just as you want to have a relationship in a way that's comfortable to you so do I want the same thing in my own way.
I have to agree with FredKang. Since they are making this option to accomodate those who asked for it why are people taking offense to this poster asking for an option that would make his gaming more fun to him as well? Those who are straight should have the option for more than one "relationship" just as those who aren't will have the option for more than one relationship.

When the "gay" romance lines are offered those people who are "bi-sexual" will be receiving more romance option choices. As in real life, I would like to have the choice of which crew member I have a relationship with. I only have a baby smuggler however, as I understood things from conversations in beta, the smuggler has 2 male options and 1 female....and this is the only class to have 3 options.

Everyone always wants to wave the "freedom of speech" or "freedom of choice of lifestyle" flags. Please remember, this is true for everyone. Don't start slamming people just because they don't happen to agree with your opinions or choices. If you are a guy and you like guys, great. If you are a girl and you like girls, more power to you. If you happen to be someone attracted to the opposite sex, you shouldn't be blasted for it. It is just as wrong as blasting someone for being interested in the same gender.
A Founders Guild
The power of /ignore is a wonderous thing.

SkywardShadow
01.22.2012 , 12:10 PM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Punkre View Post
Its not that they are supposed to be "Bi", but that they are supposed to be neutral till you push them towards a certain interest.

A certain class companion is a good example of what I am talking about: Spoiler removed.

And as said before for all the homophobes: "no character is going to hit on you unless you choose the dialogue options marked as [Flirt]" Which is currently how the OGRA's currently work. And if you don't even want to see ANY even possible [flirt] options with OGRA, well too bad and grow up.

I believe it was stated that they want to only make the new companions and characters SGRA acceptable as the problem with making past characters acceptable to romance options would be too much work to add in. Plus many would feel like they might be forced into rerolling just to obtain such options as they have already gone through the majority of the conversations in game.
I agree with this so much.

Also, we don't really need new flashpoints and operations at this point, when most of us aren't yet experiencing those. We need our current experiences fixed, including these missing romance options.

Aebrynis
01.22.2012 , 01:43 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by thegrognard View Post
Edit: not going to feed trolls

I just hope this isn't too hard to impliment as many people have been saying they probably have spare dialog hanging around all over the place and just havn't yet programmed in the same-sex relationship yet. Will have to wait for more info and a timeframe.
I do not remember where...but I remember reading somewhere ('Zam? Argh, I despise not being able to remember the site) that BioWare had stated that the dialogue for the option had 'already been recorded', but it was not being put into the game at launch. It didn't specify whether this was for already-extant companions like Corso and Risha, or for new companions altogether, however (I am hoping for the former).

This, if true, would not really surprise me. For one thing, BioWare is not the sort to drop the ball. And they have to have been paying attention to the fecal storm that swirled around the last Star Wars MMO, the one that was preparing to pull the plug even as this game prepared to debut...one issue being, that other game didn't listen to the players (I will not go into any other issues surrounding that game, however).

They were doubtless anticipating situations like this one, which already puts them one step ahead. All we would really need at this point is the ETA, which would let us manage who we play and for how long while we wait.

malcalypse
01.22.2012 , 03:59 PM | #128
I would like to cast my vote for including same-sex romance arcs for companion characters as soon as possible. It will help with immersion in the game. And it will make me happy. I want a relationship with Dorne really badly! Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Nozybidaj
01.22.2012 , 05:50 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by Aebrynis View Post
I do not remember where...but I remember reading somewhere ('Zam? Argh, I despise not being able to remember the site) that BioWare had stated that the dialogue for the option had 'already been recorded', but it was not being put into the game at launch.
If this is the case ( I had already suspected as much), this should be the easiest content update they are ever going to do. Probably all that needs left doing is setting the flags for the companions. There is really no reason they should have to wait on this then. The glaring omission of this content from launch was both surprising and disappointing. Time for BW to fix it since it seems the work is already done.

Teraphin
01.22.2012 , 07:04 PM | #130
I realized I didn't cast a vote in my first post.

I would prefer option 2a

at the moment I have made several characters, but have had trouble bringing myself to level them very far yet.
If BW could give us some idea of their plans I would appreciate it.

Also think it would be nice if they could add some SS flirt dialog with the NPCs.