Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Would Mace Windu be considered a "Dark Jedi"?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Would Mace Windu be considered a "Dark Jedi"?

Trellen
01.16.2012 , 11:13 PM | #1
Title says it all.
If not than are there any other examples of such?

VoxTheHero
01.16.2012 , 11:18 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Trellen View Post
Title says it all.
If not than are there any other examples of such?
No, Mace was not a Dark Jedi.

He had learned to master his emotions and turn them into a weapon.

Straighter examples of Dark Jedi would be Exar Kun pre-Dxun, Ulic Qel-Droma while infiltrating the Kranth, Quinlan Voss, A'sharad Hett, Anakin Skywalker.
Squadron 367 Veteran
My DevArt
Karnel Fass: Jedi Guardian

smartalectwo
01.16.2012 , 11:19 PM | #3
Tricky one, this.

'Dark Jedi' is usually a name for any force-user who uses a lightsaber and has fallen to the Dark Side - but is not a Sith.

Windu was a Jedi Master. He was a Jedi Master that was closer to the Dark Side than usual, but he didn't use the Dark Side and he never fell to the Dark Side. So, he was always a Jedi.

The awkward things about the examples given above (except for Quinlan Vos, I think) is that they all became Sith, so it's unclear if they qualify as 'dark Jedi'.
There is no try.

Trellen
01.16.2012 , 11:23 PM | #4
Hmm okay well I wil definately look those guys up on wookie.

I only ask beause I'm leveling a Zabrak jedi dark side for the looks and I want to understand it better

Thank you guys

VoxTheHero
01.16.2012 , 11:25 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by smartalectwo View Post
Tricky one, this.

'Dark Jedi' is usually a name for any force-user who uses a lightsaber and has fallen to the Dark Side - but is not a Sith.

Windu was a Jedi Master. He was a Jedi Master that was closer to the Dark Side than usual, but he didn't use the Dark Side and he never fell to the Dark Side. So, he was always a Jedi.

The awkward things about the examples given above (except for Quinlan Vos, I think) is that they all became Sith, so it's unclear if they qualify as 'dark Jedi'.
It's a slippery slope. Almost all of them became Sith at some point, but Quinlan did not, he went off on his own to raise a family.

Ulic had to be stripped from the Force in order to begin his path to redemption, killing his brother Cay was where he drew the line and spent the rest of his life in exile.

We all know the story of Anakin though, we all know he got redeemed in the end as well, even if his redemption lasted a shorter time than Ulic's.
Squadron 367 Veteran
My DevArt

Trellen
01.16.2012 , 11:27 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by VoxTheHero View Post
It's a slippery slope. Almost all of them became Sith at some point, but Quinlan did not, he went off on his own to raise a family.

Ulic had to be stripped from the Force in order to begin his path to redemption, killing his brother Cay was where he drew the line and spent the rest of his life in exile.

We all know the story of Anakin though, we all know he got redeemed in the end as well, even if his redemption lasted a shorter time than Ulic's.

ohh interesting I had forgetten about Anakin. So pretty much him pre-Vader to a degree at least

VoxTheHero
01.16.2012 , 11:31 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Trellen View Post
ohh interesting I had forgetten about Anakin. So pretty much him pre-Vader to a degree at least
Aye, I'd say just about anything you see of Anakin in episode 3 before the showdown between Palps and Windu would classify him as a Dark Jedi (even though he was far, far less whiny than he was in Ep 2, and actually showed the ability to think rationally in the beginning of the movie)
Squadron 367 Veteran
My DevArt

Bobinator
01.16.2012 , 11:34 PM | #8
Im sorry...I laughed at the title...

Im going to hell arent I?

(I would say he was..."close" as he created Juyo, a rather radical and dangerous form because you used your emotions which could be bad...but he was a master and could control himself easier.)
As of right now, i'm rash free.

Krusedullfaen
01.16.2012 , 11:44 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
Im sorry...I laughed at the title...

Im going to hell arent I?

(I would say he was..."close" as he created Juyo, a rather radical and dangerous form because you used your emotions which could be bad...but he was a master and could control himself easier.)
He created and used Vapaad, not Juyo. A style that requires you to allow yourself to enjoy the fight in short, Mace was the only Jedi who managed to practice the style without falling.

EDIT: Fun fact that has nothing to do with this, Mace Windu wields a purple saber because purple is Samuel L. Jackson's favourite colour and he specifically asked George Lucas for it. So we can thank Sam himself for those sweet purple sabers.

Trellen
01.16.2012 , 11:54 PM | #10
^ Yes I heard that about the lightsaber as well. Thanks Mr Jackson!

And without starting another thread, can someone tell me why the republic has a cyan saber instead of purple? Who used a cyan saber in any of the movies or extended universe I would like to know