Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why are people such jerks? (repost from General)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Why are people such jerks? (repost from General)

LinsesPreia
01.17.2012 , 08:52 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Armalas View Post
I had a lot of that kind of behavior in WoW, which is why I rolled on an RP server this time.
I don't RP, but I generally found that people on RP servers are much nicer, more helpful and generally not the kind of people you'd pull out of the ***-end of human society.

I play on Trask Ulgo - EU and so far I haven't met anyone that acted half as bad as what I am used to from WoW.
Yup. More mature people on RP servers. Some people still do RP-stuff there (allthough the game has little to offer in terms of RP functionality) but many of us chose RP-PVP server just to chill out, play the game, and have a laugh with friends - other adult people who have learned to behave politely thus earn respect. Ofc discussions can be heated up there as well, but immature people who doesn't belong on RP servers usually quit because nobody likes them anyway so they have a hard time getting any friends. So after a while they dissapear. Which is nice

Jellison
01.17.2012 , 11:54 AM | #22
I play on a nice server, community's great, no ex-wow people and if there are any they're very nice. Never once on my server have I been insulted for any reason.
Flagging and getting flagged, all day every day.

DonPappas
01.17.2012 , 12:18 PM | #23
First off let me apologize, As an older gamer (I'm not stating my age) I feel like there was a lapse in the way the generation that followed mine has become. Second I just have a question, where are the moderators or gm's? I havent been the target of nerd rage yet, but it seems like theres a lack of in game gm's. I recently joined a small very nice guild who has so far helped me in every way they can. Because of that I keep an eye on the chat bar and have seen the absolutly disgusting way people on this game treat each other. I've played a lot of online games going all the way back to MUDS (if anyone remembers what that is) and i have yet to see a game whose community is as flat out rude as this one.

trainspotter
01.17.2012 , 12:35 PM | #24
Can't handle the heat, then get outta the kitchen.

I play with the same 'jerks' you do and have been blasted by them as well. But none are on my ignore list and none of them have caused me to lose any sleep.

Know why?

ITS A GAME. I don't give two sh*ts about what faceless people on the internet think about me or the way I play. I am not here to socialize and make friends, I don't need recognition. I am here to play a Star Wars GAME.

And honestly you must be a gluten for punishment, but if you're not good (and you know if you're not good) then don't join strangers on missions and flashpoints. There are nice helpful people out there, remember them - friend them, help them in return.

Playing a game is a privilege, not a right. The general rules of society don't apply to an MMO because its a game, its not real. If you can't handle that, then maybe you should find a game that doesn't require you to interact with all the a-holes on the internet.

comeonucrazyguy
01.17.2012 , 12:40 PM | #25
I think the better question is why are people so sensitive? People are jerks, that is not something new, especially lonely, zero life "HARDCORE" MMO players, so why let it bother you? WWJD? He'd shrug his shoulders and click 'Ignore'.

comeonucrazyguy
01.17.2012 , 12:41 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DonPappas View Post
First off let me apologize, As an older gamer (I'm not stating my age) I feel like there was a lapse in the way the generation that followed mine has become. Second I just have a question, where are the moderators or gm's? I havent been the target of nerd rage yet, but it seems like theres a lack of in game gm's. I recently joined a small very nice guild who has so far helped me in every way they can. Because of that I keep an eye on the chat bar and have seen the absolutly disgusting way people on this game treat each other. I've played a lot of online games going all the way back to MUDS (if anyone remembers what that is) and i have yet to see a game whose community is as flat out rude as this one.
From my experience the community has been overall pretty nice. Maybe it's YOU, as an 'older gamer' that needs to chill.

Krakov
01.17.2012 , 12:43 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by trainspotter View Post

I play with the same 'jerks' you do and have been blasted by them as well. But none are on my ignore list and none of them have caused me to lose any sleep.

Know why?

ITS A GAME. I don't give two sh*ts about what faceless people on the internet think about me or the way I play. I am not here to socialize and make friends, I don't need recognition. I am here to play a Star Wars GAME.

And honestly you must be a gluten for punishment, but if you're not good (and you know if you're not good) then don't join strangers on missions and flashpoints. There are nice helpful people out there, remember them - friend them, help them in return.

Playing a game is a privilege, not a right. The general rules of society don't apply to an MMO because its a game, its not real. If you can't handle that, then maybe you should find a game that doesn't require you to interact with all the a-holes on the internet.
I just tell ppl that if you dont like the way I play in PvE or PvP, then you can pay for my account and tell me how to play...usually shuts em up depending on who the emo elietist pvp jerk is I'm addressing at the time...gotta love all of those internet tough guys...
SWTOR is Kotor 3 on a much larger scale. So once you accept that fact, your over-all game experience will improve greatly...

GrayForceUser
01.17.2012 , 12:53 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by lindsu View Post
Why are people such jerks? | Today , 01:09 AM

If you don't like the way someone is playing their character, don't tell them OMG U SUK, REROLL NUB. If you find a female online, the correct response to them being around is not LOL GIRLZ DON'T PLAY, GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN.
I agree with everything you said....except the part about my slave and the kitchen.

No but seriously. That is how the internet goes. Their's a mask of shadow around everyone's face so theirs no repercussions, no worry about the consequences. I don't like it and I sure as hell don't advocate it but that is, pure and simple, the reason people are @#$&'s on the internet.
C.E.C
Brutally murdering one innocent Ewok at a time.

hushia
01.17.2012 , 12:59 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by trainspotter View Post

Know why?

Ok, so for you it's a game and therefor not real. I find that odd because we are all real life people playing those characters. I'm not an NPC, are you?
Good for you that you don't care about some people's immature and jerkish behavior. But I do care. Some of us play MMO's because of the social aspect and feeling part of a community, making friends and having a good time. And some of us get really ticked off by the crowd in /general trying to spoil the atmosphere intentionally or not.

What I don't like about your reply is the "Don't like it, leave and otherwise shut it." attitude. When people go out of their way to annoy others and be jerks I have every right to get annoyed by it. Because it is *not* normal to behave in that manner. I'm not the one at fault for feeling annoyed by jerkish behavior.

To the OP: I left WoW because I had enough of the rude behavior of people in Pugs. Tried out four servers in this game until by accident I found an RP server. That was such a relieve. Having the time of my life now. Guess what they say about RP servers is true, much more pleasant crowd there.

Pekish
01.17.2012 , 12:59 PM | #30
The first plague in a MMORPG it's community not bugs or bad programming...

That ruined most of my past experience in any MMO way more than bugs or bad thought out game-mechanics ever did...

The best advice people give you will be lock yourself in a guild and that's it... sorry but i play an MMO to interact with a living world not with my 20 friends otherwise i can go and play a FPS or some sort of home based network game

I always... always roll RP server both PVE and PVP but that doesn't solve it either

I will be willing to pay extra to have a server closely monitored by a full time person that deals with this type of person.

Company should make a server where u pay 1$? 2$? Hack! Even 3$ more (20%more) in order (3$x3000K people = 9000$ a month) to pay 3x3000$/mo person 8 hours a day (x3) to monitor the community answer ticket and dealing with anti-social behavior etcetc.

for me the MMORPG it's the community not the game i am in SWTOR world and I expect at least a sort of education and respect i saw in the movies :P otherwise it feels like i am in LOL-Land... and honestly i wont pay to play in LOL-Land

*** is wrong with make 1 server an "adult-attitude RP server"
please make us pay more but give us what we want and actively monitor it