Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why are people such jerks? (repost from General)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Why are people such jerks? (repost from General)

DarthEccen
11.23.2012 , 07:28 PM | #201
A few things:

1. Yes, to hell with all jerks and sexist ****s. There is a special place in hell for them (especially the latter).

2. With that being said, however, it's the Internet. The vast majority of people that actually express themselves over the Internet tend to be rude, inconsiderate, ******es, and/or all of the above. If you can't handle profuse stupidity or rude behavior over the Internet, then you probably shouldn't be using it.

3. I also have a minor stipulation over your argument of politics in an MMO. Who cares if it belongs or not? It's called 'General Chat' for a reason. You can ignore it, and there's also a little something called free speech. They have as many rights to speak their mind about politics in just about any setting, as you do to not to have to listen to them.

Scorpassailant
11.23.2012 , 07:41 PM | #202
Guys, any MMO is like high school. There are immature people out there that thrive off of being a troll and picking on people. Of course you can ignore them, report them, and even if they get banned someone else would come along guaranteed.

Aleeha
11.23.2012 , 09:11 PM | #203
I'm looking for the official guidelines (ToS) from BioWare on the use of general chat on what is allowed and not allowed. For the life of mine I can't find the line where it says you are allowed to only discuss the following topics. Could you please point that out to me, thanks.

bahdasz
11.24.2012 , 10:10 AM | #204
Necro necro thread... I want to go necro a thread....

Seriously, what do you people do, just scroll back a random number of pages and then just pick a thread at random thread to revive?

Any way, since we're here ima throw in my 2 cents....

Why are people such jerks? I don't know. Why are people such ignorant idiots? I have been described as a jerk (that being the nice term), but when I'm a jerk there's a reason.

-People asking questions that they could have easily gotten the answer for if they'd have take 20 second on the net; that's ignorant, I'm gonna flame that guy.
-People posting play-by-play updates of their every movement in game; that's super ignorant, it's not twitter and nobody gives a crap, I'm going ot flame that guy.
-People posting "wanna sell blah blah" every 20 seconds; that's ignorant, guess what, after 2 or 3 times if nobody replies it means nobody wants the darn thing, I'm gonna flame that guy
-People running up and inserting themselves in your game (helpers/griefers) because they're so awsome and obviously since you're not them you need their help; that's ridiculignorant and rude, I'm gonna flame the hell out of that guy.
-People that spam group invites without even whispering first, even though they're not actually doing anything but standing around, and then repeatedly re-inviting every 10 seconds after I decline; that's ignorant and annoying, some times people are lucky that all you can do ingame is be rude to them and not reach out and smack 'em on the ear, tbh, I'm gonna flame that guy until he cries and logs off.

Basically, most people that cry about people being rude/mean to them on the forums or in game ask for it. Don't bother people with inane stupidity and ignorance and leave them alone if they don't want to be bothered by you and they won't be jerks to you. People rarely blatantly just attack you in chat out of the blue, you probably did something pretty annoying first.

DarthWalt
11.24.2012 , 07:19 PM | #205
Your right the only problem is it wont stop. Its easy to blame kids for acting like kids. Sad part is its not kids doing it more times then it full grown adults acting like ******s.

Greed and the realization that they can sit behind a key board and act a fool that would get them punched shot stabed or at the very least told off to thier face in the real world they can do whatever they want and get away with it.

The devs support cause its always 2 points of view on the same crap the community wont do anything about it cause like to say they care but 90% will act the scumbag the first chance they get too.

It sad but MMOs have become like the walking dead. You worry about you and yours and F the rest.

BlazingShadow
11.24.2012 , 08:32 PM | #206
I don't understand people on the internet sometimes.

trashyone
07.22.2014 , 03:31 PM | #207
I'm 34 and Know exactly what you mean. You think thats bad. You should go to mmorpg.com and go onto their forums. That is one of the worst websites to go on for gaming. MMORPG.com users on there rage over anything, even if the poster is being nice. The gamers there are vile, distasteful and just out right rude. I think a lot of these people that act like this way online are seriously emotionally and mentally ILL who have a mental illness but have not been diagnosed because they don't think anything is wrong with them, how they act is normal to them and how they think. You will find some of them on youtube as well. That Onision guy is a perfect example. Here is another guy named MPC4utube here. I think he has something wrong with him too. He bullys people online.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zThx...Is40OT7WwTN6yA

If you want my advice. I'm Canadian, but I usually don't bother to log onto the North American servers anymore. Instead I log onto the European servers. I find them more laid back and although there can be ******s there too, I generally find the europeans are not always bringing up politics and other racist garbage. I don't know why but I think it's just they are not as stressed out or maybe culture differences, but in the last 14 years I've found the EU servers a tad better. (Sorry to Any Canadian or American Players here) I don't mean it as an offense to you guys. I love Americans and my own Canadians. I just find us westerners online to be a tad over the top at times.
Quote:
Jagunna, this is Ma-Ma. Somewhere there are two SiS operatives. I want them dead. Everyone else stay out of our way until the shooting stops. If anyone helps them, I will kill them and their next of kin. As for the SiS, fight or hide. Makes no difference. You're mine.
-Ma-Ma

Balnazaar
03.22.2016 , 04:54 PM | #208
MMORPG.com... yeaaaah, I just looked there once. Saw the name of a threat and first reply, never went back. People there are truly BRAIN DAMAGED, less, more, or completely mentally invalid. Keep in mind, there are people that LIVE on being jerks, cuz they pretty much stink at literally everything else in life and games if it does not have cheats.

As for ANY guildelines WITHIN a game on what is OK and NOT OK to say is generally either auto-blocked by a profanity filter, or people simply dont read the crap someone says. My reasoning for saying this: Very few ever fully or even partially follow guidelines in multiplayer games of any kind. If chatting of any kind is possible, always stay prepped for one or other form of extreme raging or jsut "OMG NOOB PLEASE GET YOURSELF HANGED!". It is the internet, after all, and it is the msot free place in the world, with free speech and all, within reason... but many people don't even know what reasonable means, let alone know the word.

All I can do, pesonally, is either let things slide, ask people to behave jsut slightly better, report them, or outright ignore them, with or without /ignore function. As long as they dont stalk me with all kinds of spam with hate, threads, death threats, hack threats nd all that, I'll let them be.

My quote of the day: "Never consider helping a lost cause, you'll only make them want to kill you."

CassandraP
03.24.2016 , 09:31 AM | #209
Another post to further validate why I play SW: TOR like a single player rpg with General chat turned off.
Player [Female Trooper] : "Any Last Words?"
Aric Jorgan: "Can that garbage. And...I love you."

#We♥U2Aric

bluehufsa
03.24.2016 , 11:15 AM | #210
How to avoid jerks:

1, close all chats while playing
2. never do non-instanced heroics
3. be yourself and never feel guilty for your choices aka light side sith or mature female BH romancing Torian
4. do things your way, not the way others want