Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why are people such jerks? (repost from General)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Why are people such jerks? (repost from General)

SuperSapeli
01.16.2012 , 08:04 PM | #11
Really good write up, totally summarizes my feelings too.

Next i go "little" OT but still:

Though i have much xp from raiding in Wow (from tbc to cata) i still hesitate doing any pve stuff with randoms if i have not done it before. One mistake can lead to all out nerd-rage though i have not yet encoutered it in old republic, but still.. i somehow fear it :P and prefer just doing solo stuff.

Funny thing is when i started playing wow back in 07 as a total MMO noob i just wanted to do all group quests and instances even if it went to hell from my part. :P

Perhaps i demand too much from myself nowdays.

Sry for my "little" rusty english, hope you get the picture anyway. =)

EsotericWhim
01.16.2012 , 08:09 PM | #12
It's the internet. Anonymity gives people the opportunity to act in whatever way they want without actually putting themselves at risk.

Essentially people are cowards on the internet.

That said, I have only come across select instances of really rotten behaviour. If I want to keep general on, then I add them to ignore. Otherwise I just switch general off.

It's not worth getting upset at people who obviously have nothing else going on in their lives, and feel the need to be intolerable douche bags to make up for their overwhelming feelings of lacking self worth.

Cindron
01.16.2012 , 10:14 PM | #13
Pretty accurate. They hide behind their anonymity. Rules of society and common courtesy fall to the side. Majority have no real lives and get secret thrills hurting and insulting others knowing you can do nothing about it. They don't care what you say in response, only that you respond. Anything at all and they are dancing in their chair in victory feverishly typing another remark. Just look at the forums, the worst of all locations. Click on a troll and look at his posts, a dozen or more a day all negative all for the single purpose of getting a response. And the sad thing is more and more people are seeing it as acceptable behavior, just look at posts right here people telling you to deal with it. That it's fun. In truth it's a very sad thing. This is just a game but there are real people behind each character.

All I can offer is the same advice, ignore. And never ever ever respond it's what they live for. They cannot be embarrassed or shamed, they don't care. Also keep sending tickets complaining. To not do so lets them have free reign and leaves you as just another sad individual saying "someone should do something". It may feel an empty gesture but you never know. Maybe your ticket is the one the finally causes a response. And don't let them push you out of something you enjoy.

It's a simple concept, if you wouldn't say it face to face you shouldn't say it over the internet. 99% of your antagonists in game and forums wouldn't raise their voice to a goldfish. Better off to feel sorry for them and leave them to their pathetic ways.
It is easy to be brave from a distance.

LadyNightArrow
01.16.2012 , 10:17 PM | #14
OP: Don't quit the game just because of a few knuckle heads who can't seem to properly socially interact with others. There is a way to turn off general/PvP/trade chat, which is what I do every time I make a new character. I'm a bit tactless. So, if I see someone 'trolling', I will likely attempt to put them in their place. I'll fail miserably, but I will still attempt it.

Now here's my two cents on the matter. I hope this won't be off topic. (Note: This isn't just for the OP; this is for anyone who cares to read this. This is my opinion with a little bit of attempted advice.)

First, trolling is a type of bullying. People troll to create fear, so do bullies. In reality what they are doing is pushing themselves to the social margins of the Internet Community (the same could be said for jerks). They are creating the label of 'bully' for themselves. They are also making it so no one will take them seriously, which will cause people to not want to answer them when they have a legitimate question. On the other hand, they also make it so people will be afraid of answering other people's legitimate questions. Seems like a no win situation, right? Here's a solution. Answer the question anyway. Who cares if people laugh at you (this is coming from someone who was bullied). The moment you stop answering questions for fear of being 'trolled', you are giving those people power. Again, it's okay if anyone disagrees with me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Second, trolling isn't new since the internet. For example:
Kid one: Sphinxtersayswhat?
Kid two: What?
Kid one and other kids around kid two laugh and call him/her a sphinxter (sp?).

How is this any different from 'trolling'? This has been around since before the internet. However, before the internet or even computers were a household must, this was called 'making-fun-of' or 'bullying'. This is the other reason 'troll' is just internet speak for 'bully'.

This is usually where people might say, "But there are ways to recognize a troll." True. But, once the majority of the community has caught on to various 'trolling' phrases, 'trolls' come up with other ways to...troll.

I'll admit it. I've been caught in 'trolls' before. Remember the stupid question, "If Arthis' mount was called Invincible, why can you see him?" I will also admit that I have a hard time spotting trolls when they ask questions like this, because I've worked in Yellowstone National Park and I have heard some of the front desk people laugh about questions tourists ask. Many are akin to the Invincible question. "When do the moose turn to elk?" "Where are the barns that you keep the bison in?" I have also witnessed peoples' lack of common sense when they are on vacation (I actually had to ask one guy to step away from a buffalo). The point is, there will always be jerks, there will always be trolls/bullies, and there will always be people who lack common sense where ever you go. No one company can regulate this in games. The best thing to do is do whatever works for you.

Again, sorry if I was off topic.

Musing: 'Common Sense' the biggest misnomer in history.

Sireast
01.16.2012 , 10:25 PM | #15
This is why I made a nice small family type guild. I make sure that no one just recruits for the guild, but they invite people we run into with on Flashpoints and just questing. I use to talk a lot on Global chat, but now it has become a problem cause people think they can act how every they want over a online game.

Fishfat
01.16.2012 , 11:19 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhaker View Post
If you have the un-ability to hide the 1 General Channel that's your fault.

If you don't like the conversation, ignore them, you don't need to put an ignore list. You could create multiple chat panels for general chat, guild chat, party chat, announcements and etc panels.

Just because YOU don't like the conversation doesn't mean OTHERS also don't like how the conversation is panning.

If you are having class problems then go to the forums, they tend to be helpful there, unless you expect your class to be able to outdps/outlast/outanything over another class you "deserved" to be trolled to reroll.

Personally this is isn't an all friendly place, there are people who are going to say what they want to say. What you want them to stop because you are unhappy?

If we just listened to you, it'd become a monotonous general chat, and full of bore. Just cause you know how to be a 'gentlemen'.

Personally, I like the General channel and the flame wars that go on with the YOUR MOM IS SO FAT BECAUSE <insert random mom joke>...
QFE, Spot on
Gold Farming since 2003

darh_halo
01.16.2012 , 11:40 PM | #17
We should have no must have a system where we can post screen shot with text log of what happens. Heck share it in here so everyone knows.

2 cents
<<Been Tanking Since Launch Date !>>
Server TOFN - Hybrid Build at heart
Immortal hybrid - DF hybrid - Mad Maul hybrid

Imperialis
01.17.2012 , 04:15 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhaker View Post
If you have the un-ability to hide the 1 General Channel that's your fault.

If you don't like the conversation, ignore them, you don't need to put an ignore list. You could create multiple chat panels for general chat, guild chat, party chat, announcements and etc panels.

Just because YOU don't like the conversation doesn't mean OTHERS also don't like how the conversation is panning.

If you are having class problems then go to the forums, they tend to be helpful there, unless you expect your class to be able to outdps/outlast/outanything over another class you "deserved" to be trolled to reroll.

Personally this is isn't an all friendly place, there are people who are going to say what they want to say. What you want them to stop because you are unhappy?

If we just listened to you, it'd become a monotonous general chat, and full of bore. Just cause you know how to be a 'gentlemen'.

Personally, I like the General channel and the flame wars that go on with the YOUR MOM IS SO FAT BECAUSE <insert random mom joke>...

Your comprehension of the problem at hand fails too... Op is right about the comunity people to behave as jerks behind the safety of a screen.

Let me tell you 2 storys, i had 2 episodes that were really fun regarding this situation,
one of them involved my neighbour from the building accross, we both play, on the same server and same side.. funny thing is we never spoke to one another... or so we tought...

It never came to us that we had ourselves in the friendslist until one day i went out for a smoke and took a peek from my window only to find another fellow playing ( could see trough his windows ) , a couple shouts later we ended up discovering who was who and we play together since then.

The second story is regarding people with " attitude ", see i used to play EvE, and the comunity in EvE is very agressive , so we had a group gathering from people that playing in diferent corps but lived in the same area... funny thing is, a couple stated how fun it would be when they saw us because we su..ed and so on.....

It turned out that they were in for a surprise as most of us in our mid twenties and thirties were quite a bit different from what the "kids" had in mind.. so much for safety and assumptions...

What do meen with all this chit chat? Simple... The world is smaller as you think, and most of you kids , there's no other word for the people that beat their chests like King Kong atop the Empire State, have no clue whatsoever who sits behind the other screen.

People have a life, wife, kids, some have disabilities and play just to escape their problems, for plain old fun.. something that people today seem to forget.

Someone in another post pinned it in the "western culture", false and untrue, i have seen how "both sides" behave and no one can say, we are better and behave the better, its simply not true.

Most of all this is a game, people should have fun here, its not Hello Kitty Online, but its not about who has, can, or did what competition.

At the end of the day , in 10 years, 20.. no one will remember who played what, i wonder what will these type of people say to their children or grand children..

" Oh i was this big Jedi/Sith who harassed people on the interwebz.. i was so bad, all were afraid of me... *coff*coff... can someone bring me my pills "

> See in the end you don't even have the right to say someone is a noob, and should reroll or something, its not anyones business how a player plays the game.

The report button would be a nice ideia.. but as we already know people will abuse the system and bait others into discussions.

Meh.. the kids are just spoiled these days.

Paget
01.17.2012 , 04:35 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by lindsu View Post
I guess that's just my problem.

The internet culture has been terrible and as I'm getting older, I'm losing my patience with it.

I played EQ, I played WOW, I played EQ2, I played AION, I played FF11, I played Phantasy Star Online, I played Diablo 2, I played Q3A... I've played so many games online since I was 16/17 but this is the first game (yes, first) that the culture has gotten to me. 10 years ago, it really wasn't this bad. There is just no respect for our fellow human beings anymore.
Couldn't agree more with you, that goes for your original post too. And I also agrre that it seemed more mature 10-15 years ago, don't know if this is because I was younger back then though.
But I will wait until the free month are over and pray that most of the imature players will leave.

I have met some nice mature players on my server, so it's not all dark and cloudy but the majority is indeed imature and inpatience.

Anyways, you are not alone out there so don't give up your hope on all of us And I really hope you find some like minded people so you can enjoy your time online.

Cheers, and have a great day

Armalas
01.17.2012 , 06:52 AM | #20
I had a lot of that kind of behavior in WoW, which is why I rolled on an RP server this time.
I don't RP, but I generally found that people on RP servers are much nicer, more helpful and generally not the kind of people you'd pull out of the ***-end of human society.

I play on Trask Ulgo - EU and so far I haven't met anyone that acted half as bad as what I am used to from WoW.
What do I know of cultured ways? The gilt, the craft, and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land, and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist's guile, they fail when light sabers sing,
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a King.