Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why are people such jerks? (repost from General)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Why are people such jerks? (repost from General)

lindsu
01.16.2012 , 06:35 PM | #1
Why are people such jerks? | Today , 01:09 AM

Maybe I haven't played MMOs in awhile. Maybe I've been out of the loop as far as what goes on these days but I'm getting to the point where I can't handle it anymore.

I've ignored FAR too many people in this game for just being all around jerks. People think that because they can hide behind the guise of an avatar, they can act how ever they want to anyone they want.

THAT IS NOT OK.

If you don't like the way someone is playing their character, don't tell them OMG U SUK, REROLL NUB. If you find a female online, the correct response to them being around is not LOL GIRLZ DON'T PLAY, GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN.

MMOs are NOT the place to discuss politics, especially in /general. MMOs are NOT the place to air out your dirty laundry. And just because you don't like the way someone plays their character, it DOES NOT give you the right to be a total douche to them.

**a note to the person that replied about the politics thing. Yes, people are able to discuss politics but it always turns into I HATE LIBERALZ, they R SCUM. Or something else demeaning. If you can't have a political discussion, or other discussion without calling someone names... You shouldn't be having that discussion.

This player base seems to lack any sort of social skills and I'm not exactly sure why. I've heard of people like this on XBOX Live or other places where prepubescent boys can act like big tough guys.

I don't want my ignore list to grow anymore, and I certainly don't want to quit a game I like just because people want to harass me. I should be able to enjoy the game just like everyone else.

I'm seriously calling out the community here. This needs to be fixed. There needs to be a better way to write tickets for people that say really mean things. There should be a /report [player] command and people that talk like this should be punished.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels like this game is completely being ruined by people like this. And IGNORE should indefinite, until I remove them because harassment exists.

Sorry for the rant. I've just been harassed more than once for many different reasons and I've watched other people harass others in general and I felt like there was nothing I could do to stop it.

You want to keep my money and the money of all of the mature adults out there?
Make it so players aren't allowed to harass other players.

And to a reply to the people that said "Welcome to the internet", the internet shouldn't always be a place where you have to "hide Yo KIDZ, hide Yo WYFE".

And a Reply to the Forum Mod that shut down my post, next time you should just move it. I'm so close to quitting this game because people are ******es, and you LITERALLY made yourself no different than all the jerks that are playing this game.

You see these? They're tears. You made me cry.

Thanks internet.

Kyriosgundam
01.16.2012 , 06:47 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by lindsu View Post

Maybe I haven't played MMOs in awhile. Maybe I've been out of the loop as far as what goes on these days but I'm getting to the point where I can't handle it anymore.

I've ignored FAR too many people in this game for just being all around jerks. People think that because they can hide behind the guise of an avatar, they can act how ever they want to anyone they want.

THAT IS NOT OK.

If you don't like the way someone is playing their character, don't tell them OMG U SUK, REROLL NUB. If you find a female online, the correct response to them being around is not LOL GIRLZ DON'T PLAY, GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN.

MMOs are NOT the place to discuss politics, especially in /general. MMOs are NOT the place to air out your dirty laundry. And just because you don't like the way someone plays their character, it DOES NOT give you the right to be a total douche to them.

**a note to the person that replied about the politics thing. Yes, people are able to discuss politics but it always turns into I HATE LIBERALZ, they R SCUM. Or something else demeaning. If you can't have a political discussion, or other discussion without calling someone names... You shouldn't be having that discussion.

This player base seems to lack any sort of social skills and I'm not exactly sure why. I've heard of people like this on XBOX Live or other places where prepubescent boys can act like big tough guys.

I don't want my ignore list to grow anymore, and I certainly don't want to quit a game I like just because people want to harass me. I should be able to enjoy the game just like everyone else.

I'm seriously calling out the community here. This needs to be fixed. There needs to be a better way to write tickets for people that say really mean things. There should be a /report [player] command and people that talk like this should be punished.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels like this game is completely being ruined by people like this. And IGNORE should indefinite, until I remove them because harassment exists.

Sorry for the rant. I've just been harassed more than once for many different reasons and I've watched other people harass others in general and I felt like there was nothing I could do to stop it.

You want to keep my money and the money of all of the mature adults out there?
Make it so players aren't allowed to harass other players.

And to a reply to the people that said "Welcome to the internet", the internet shouldn't always be a place where you have to "hide Yo KIDZ, hide Yo WYFE".

And a Reply to the Forum Mod that shut down my post, next time you should just move it. I'm so close to quitting this game because people are ******es, and you LITERALLY made yourself no different than all the jerks that are playing this game.

You see these? They're tears. You made me cry.

Thanks internet.
I agree with you on this thats why for the most part I keep the chat box turned off and usually only play solo and not interacting with anyone unless its absolutely nessesary. I will reply to someone who needs help or to someone who asks me questions or is willing to invite me to a group but other than that I stay away from the chat box. Also people seem to forget the fact even though MMO's are games you do have to treat others the same way you would treat them if you ran across them in the real world. Because players like those you discribe forget the fact that there are real people controling those characters and that they have feelings too. And yes I am speaking from personal expieriance on this matter.
"The Ability to speak does not make you intelligent"-Qui-Gon
"Much to learn you still have"-Yoda
"Impressive......Most Impressive"-Darth Vader
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes"-Obi-Wan

Pherdnut
01.16.2012 , 06:51 PM | #3
My servers have been generally great. I think I've /ignored one person in the time that I've been playing which has been since the first day of pre-launch and several weekend betas before that. Everybody seems helpful and generally nice. Might be the hours I play but I hit it hard on the weekends and haven't seen any bad kiddie behavior outside of that one incident for which there was much scorn and /ignoring.
Amurrka, Malfunction, Skeeve, Derp, Deeva, Orinj @Dreshdae Cantina

"QQ!"

Kyriosgundam
01.16.2012 , 06:54 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Pherdnut View Post
My servers have been generally great. I think I've /ignored one person in the time that I've been playing which has been since the first day of pre-launch and several weekend betas before that. Everybody seems helpful and generally nice. Might be the hours I play but I hit it hard on the weekends and haven't seen any bad kiddie behavior outside of that one incident for which there was much scorn and /ignoring.
I havent either most of the people I have run into have been nice and helpful when they can. But then again I am usually on only twice a week and even then usually late at night.
"The Ability to speak does not make you intelligent"-Qui-Gon
"Much to learn you still have"-Yoda
"Impressive......Most Impressive"-Darth Vader
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes"-Obi-Wan

Obstero
01.16.2012 , 07:02 PM | #5
I wholeheartedly agree.

However, a line must be drawn.

One time, I joined a Republic warzone and all three turrets were against us. It was the last few seconds of the match, I ran out to mid and killed two enemies.

I apparently had the most damage and the most medals in my team. So I posted in /ops "So, I just killed two people on my own. Really, Republic?"

Then someone who I suspect was *offended* by this (he later said he, too, joined in the last few seconds) whispered me about I had made a retarded comment and how I should go back to a certain website on the Internet (which many people deem to be a horrid place of scum and villainy).

Then he "welcomed me to the list of people who failed" and started ignoring me.

Well I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings over the truth on the Internet in a video game.

A few days later, I'm looking for a group for Hardmode Esseles. All is fine, I'm invited by a random I don't know, "hi, hi, how are you" etc. He says "Give me a minute", then proceeds to kick me from the group, block me and invite someone else. I whisper that "someone else", get no answer, whisper him again and oh, look! Ignored.

I don't even know what to think about that last one, seriously, you don't have the balls to tell me "Sorry, a friend/guildie/other person I like more wants to join"? What the heck?

Long story short: some people don't have the slightest idea of what they're doing, it's a part of every society.

lindsu
01.16.2012 , 07:07 PM | #6
I'm on a PVP server because that's where my friends are playing. They haven't been on much and my husband hasn't caught up to me yet in levels because he was away on a trip for a week.

So it's been just me.

The comments that I've received haven't even been warranted. The people are literally being jerks because they can, not because they find a problem with my play style. I play mostly alone and do a little bit of PVP.

I have trouble with the targeting system, I'm just not used to it. It's a little clunky and I haven't mastered it, so I mess up sometimes when in PVP. However, I kill people and I heal people and I protect nodes and do what I need to.

I'll admit, I'm far better at PVE but that's because I'm spec'd for it.

There are PLENTY of really bad players but you will never hear me tell them that they suck and should reroll or quit and kill themselves. Its just plain not ok. If you don't have something constructive to say, just don't even say it.

And yes, I've PVP'd a ton in my lifetime, just not in this game. I played AION and I played WoW. 90% of the time, I've been a healer because its what I'm most comfortable playing in PVP. So, I'm sorry if I suck at damage, at least you survived so you could kill that guy that was hounding you. I'm sorry I died, it was hard fending off the 4 or 5 players that attacked me because I cast a heal spell on you.

Exerio
01.16.2012 , 07:19 PM | #7
This is not just something with this game, but with society as a whole. During late 20'th century and upwards it has been an increasing attitude in a lot of different countries and it reflects itself very well in a video game. People tend to focus on themselves. (mind you, this is how people are raised in the western world)

Now, the problem where I see it lays is with the development of mmo's. With World of Warcraft and various other games you really tend to see people focusing on how themselves play as they can just leave a group etc. if they don't like the progress. Once you have accomplished something though, you don't always remember that you had a learning curve yourself and lash out on people who don't do according to their taste.

In other words: Much like real life games have for a large base of players gotten "monoable". You don't need to help other players and thus you find it tedious when you have to. I am one of those players that played a lot once mmo's where new and have gone through some of my learning curve, but this in turn has made me only want to play with people I know and ignore others if I don't have to interact. Dealing with the lashing is tedious just as you are saying, and more often then not not constructive in order to play better and it might also not be the source of the problem.

- Exerio
There is no signature.

Esauru
01.16.2012 , 07:26 PM | #8
Well....

To be honest, the whole the internet should NOT be like this. I agree it should not, however
the sad truth is? It is. Can we do anything about it? Well from the looks of it? No. This issue
has been persistent throughout MMORPG, infact throughout Interwebz. Truefax right there..
Moderators/GMs/ect ect.. Can only do so much, but when younger generation of people get
access and are now able to play on the internet, this is what you get. Alot of people though,
don't start off like this. It's a vicious cycle really, nice kid comes in, gets verbally *** kicked,
gets mad, becomes a jerk, rinse repeat.

Advice? When it all comes down to gaming, or internet? Never take anything seriously.
I don't. Trollers? Go ahead and troll, flamers, flame on. People want to insult me for my
combat abilities in game? People want to insult me for whatever.. By all means. Really,
I have general turned off 99.9% of the time, I am having fun in groups, I find that if you
just weed out the jerks from your internet life, things get better.

Focus solely on having fun, I have a ton of friends, people who share what I feel about this,
we enjoy the game and screw everything else! I do give my thumbs up for calling out the
community, though in truth there is little to nothing to be done about such. However, I do
honestly hope that OP, your post could make a difference.

Until then...

Chill, as you said, it's a buncha kids being macho and jerks because they hide behind a
screen.. If that fact has dawned upon you, then really, there is no need to take them seriously.

lindsu
01.16.2012 , 07:54 PM | #9
I guess that's just my problem.

The internet culture has been terrible and as I'm getting older, I'm losing my patience with it.

I played EQ, I played WOW, I played EQ2, I played AION, I played FF11, I played Phantasy Star Online, I played Diablo 2, I played Q3A... I've played so many games online since I was 16/17 but this is the first game (yes, first) that the culture has gotten to me. 10 years ago, it really wasn't this bad. There is just no respect for our fellow human beings anymore.

Zhaker
01.16.2012 , 07:54 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by lindsu View Post
THAT IS NOT OK.

Thanks internet.
If you have the un-ability to hide the 1 General Channel that's your fault.

If you don't like the conversation, ignore them, you don't need to put an ignore list. You could create multiple chat panels for general chat, guild chat, party chat, announcements and etc panels.

Just because YOU don't like the conversation doesn't mean OTHERS also don't like how the conversation is panning.

If you are having class problems then go to the forums, they tend to be helpful there, unless you expect your class to be able to outdps/outlast/outanything over another class you "deserved" to be trolled to reroll.

Personally this is isn't an all friendly place, there are people who are going to say what they want to say. What you want them to stop because you are unhappy?

If we just listened to you, it'd become a monotonous general chat, and full of bore. Just cause you know how to be a 'gentlemen'.

Personally, I like the General channel and the flame wars that go on with the YOUR MOM IS SO FAT BECAUSE <insert random mom joke>...