Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is TOR done growing?

Skaara
01.16.2012 , 05:03 PM | #11
First impressions are everything in mmo's. This game is probably doomed due to releasing too early. When will these companies ever learn.

TheHeadCapper
01.16.2012 , 05:04 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Papazooki View Post
The game will have a BIG decline on the 20th, will it grow afterwards? Doubtful.
They did something right. Even the people who say they don't like the game can't move on to anything else and keep posting about SWTOR.
The formula 'two plus two equals five' is not without its attractions

JediMasterShake
01.16.2012 , 05:04 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by CommieKras View Post
Warhammer sold a lot of units opening week. It's doing great, right?

Age of Conan sold a lot of units opening week. It's doing great, right?

Star Trek Online sold a lot of units opening week. It's doing great, right?

TOR will follow.
Right, and this doesn't mean that TOR will fail, but it shows how the market works.

It takes a GREAT game to actually keep growing after release, since everyone in the gamer community knows about these monster games so far ahead of time. There just aren't any MORE people who don't know about it.
Make a fast break, or that'll be the last mistake that <bleep> will make, is what you get for messin' with
Master Shake.

Barracudastr
01.16.2012 , 05:04 PM | #14
Honestly come the 20th they will lose a massive amount of subs.

Then in about 3 months they will lose even more to tera, (mainly pvper's that know what tera is).

Then later this year the rest that aren't total 100% into swtor will drift off to play GW2 when its released.

djsmileey
01.16.2012 , 05:05 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by CommieKras View Post
Warhammer sold a lot of units opening week. It's doing great, right?

Age of Conan sold a lot of units opening week. It's doing great, right?

Star Trek Online sold a lot of units opening week. It's doing great, right?

TOR will follow.
By that logic..

Wow sold a lot of units opening week. It's doing great right?

Call of duty sold a lot of units opening week. It's doing great right?

Swtor sold a lot of units opening week.

Tor will follow.

By the logic..
If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

Dileptor
01.16.2012 , 05:05 PM | #16
Does anyone know how many subs those others MMOs had right after launch? Did any of them reach 2 mil like TOR did?

I'm trying to find a precedent, since I do believe that TOR will be on decline from now on.

TheHeadCapper
01.16.2012 , 05:05 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterShake View Post

It takes a GREAT game to actually keep growing after release, since everyone in the gamer community knows about these monster games so far ahead of time. There just aren't any MORE people who don't know about it.
Word of mouth means a lot. We have a number of new people still joining our guild being friends of people playing the game. A lot of them are new to MMO's and we still have more coming. I'd say assumption are usually not a good thing to make/
The formula 'two plus two equals five' is not without its attractions

JediMasterShake
01.16.2012 , 05:06 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by TheHeadCapper View Post
They did something right. Even the people who say they don't like the game can't move on to anything else and keep posting about SWTOR.
You can say that after the 20th. I believe TOR will lose upwards of 300k subs in a few days. And then, if they haven't fixed the combat responsiveness, another 1-200k the next month.

This stills leaves a mighty large playerbase, don't get me wrong. TOR will do fine. It's just done GROWING.
Make a fast break, or that'll be the last mistake that <bleep> will make, is what you get for messin' with
Master Shake.

Skaara
01.16.2012 , 05:06 PM | #19
They will retain their star wars fan base and maybe even sci fi fans that are desperate for a sci fi mmo. It will be reduced to a niche game and recorded as the biggest flop in mmo history that even Vanguard couldn't rival.

MrTijger
01.16.2012 , 05:06 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterShake View Post

Ah, you know my post in the other thread touched on that, and I didn't write it out here.

TOR purchases have declined sharply after the first two weeks. I had a link to a site with numbers, but I can't find it right now... Essentially everyone bought the game Pre-order or within the first two weeks. Since then, there have hardly been any sales, comparatively.

Basically, as is predictable, everyone who was likely to play the game heard about it and made their decision one way or the other. There aren't many people left who are undecided.

Well, every market analyst seems to think they'll sell 3 million by end of January, we'll see but I think your premise is faulty, the market is much bigger but on the other hand, 1.5 million? Sounds pretty decent to me.x

Either way, I dont really careas long as I can play until I dont enjoy it anymore, my self esteeem isnt tied into a game I play.