Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Name unavailable, please choose another.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Name unavailable, please choose another.

AJediKnight
12.13.2011 , 08:11 AM | #1
I grabbed a name I wanted when my server first launched, went back 10 mins later to create the character, took all of 60 seconds to line up the sliders, hit 'create' and the name was already gone. I find this... almost inexplicable. I understand it's launch day, but the odds seem rather low, considering it isn't a name like Chris or Steve. Some other people on the server said their chosen names had been locked up upon recreating as well... is there some kind of a delay action in effect?
[][]☲☲☲[]ị::ị\(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Morto
12.13.2011 , 08:13 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by AJediKnight View Post
I grabbed a name I wanted when my server first launched, went back 10 mins later to create the character, took all of 60 seconds to line up the sliders, hit 'create' and the name was already gone. I find this... almost inexplicable. I understand it's launch day, but the odds seem rather low, considering it isn't a name like Chris or Steve. Some other people on the server said their chosen names had been locked up upon recreating as well... is there some kind of a delay action in effect?
Can't you use a different version of your name or a new one?

Korrigan
12.13.2011 , 08:14 AM | #3
If its a name coming from any book or other media, you can expect that someone else thought about it too.
"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent." - Qui-Gon Jinn.

Awesomnus_Prime
12.13.2011 , 08:15 AM | #4
It was me.

Xontier
12.13.2011 , 08:16 AM | #5
If others are reporting the same thing that I'd assume the servers haven't released the name to be usable yet. That is, the naming server still has that name registered as in-use, but not by who.

I'm surprised BioWare didn't give the grace period that most games give. That is, if you delete a name, its yours for X amount of time before its released back into the wild.

The only thing is, there's no way to tell how long it'll be until your name is released; unless it's a strange bug and the names are never released, but BioWare would have to fix that pretty quickly or it'll cause a lot of issues with peeople.
Level 50: Sniper, Operative, Powertech.

MrNybble
12.13.2011 , 08:19 AM | #6
I hear ya. RP folks need/want a specific name and it really causes problems if they can't create it. There seem to only be 5 or 6 RP servers. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my name is still available when I get in.

Cannyone
12.13.2011 , 08:22 AM | #7
The only real solution is to make the character you want, then name it. I've seen this before where it doesn't release names when you delete a character. All you can do in that case is keep trying.

AsinineTangent
12.13.2011 , 08:23 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by AJediKnight View Post
There is a delay before the name is freed up. Keep trying. I reused a name during the beta and this happened.

Gilpatric
12.13.2011 , 08:25 AM | #9
Of course, this problem would be greatly diminished if EA had simply allowed the use of a second name, but, no, that's too easy. Instead there is the lame Legacy system.

Hellbrass
12.13.2011 , 08:25 AM | #10
If you created the character with the name, then deleted it, its possible there is a delay between the deletion and the name being freed up rather than someone taking it.

I know World of Warcraft used to suffer this issue quite often. I would keep trying occasionally to make the new character with that name.