Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Viability of Shadow DPS in PvP and PvE?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Viability of Shadow DPS in PvP and PvE?

01.16.2012 , 03:06 AM | #1
Just wondering how good are shadow DPS builds in PvP and PvE? So far I have leveled a Shadow to level 25 and I am finding it less than spectacular, I originally rolled a shadow because I thought that they would be a melee dps class however so far most of my damage moves seem to be the same as a Sage just with *******r range, also looking at the buffs and abilities a shadow recieves later most of the moves that are used in melee seem to be AOE leading me to believe that Shadows are probably much more useful as tanks.

Will Shadows eventually hold their own in higher levels as a DPS class or should I rethink my spec and focus more on tanking? Or in regards to DPS would I have been better off rolling a sentinel or a sage?
Some people call me the Space Cowboy.

01.16.2012 , 03:10 AM | #2
Also what is the point of stealth? Yeah I know I can use it to get the jump on an enemy in PvP or use it to close the gap on enemies in PvE before attacking (though I would much prefer the charge ability Jedi Knights have) but other than that the only ability that I can see that actually requires it is mind maze.
Some people call me the Space Cowboy.

01.16.2012 , 03:11 AM | #3
Both Balance and Infiltration are perfectly viable DPS Speccs for Shadows and can compete with other classes DPS as far as I can say without having a damage meter.

In the heroics and operations I did so far, my single target DPS was very nice. For AoE, I'm sure there are better classes.
Jeckll Cradlesong
Skald (Logres/Midgard) || Rogue (Gorgonnash/Horde)
Witch Elf (Carroburg/Destruction) || Rogue (Trübkopf/Defiant)

01.16.2012 , 03:43 AM | #4
Well if they want AOE - they really should roll as a sage TBH, Infiltrators I don't think are suitable int hat role, its more Melee based. Although we do get rocks and pebbles like anyone else.

01.16.2012 , 04:44 AM | #5
We don't get most of the good skills until the mid 30s or so, at least that's how it felt to me. Stick with it, it gets better
Larcen 50(ish) Scoundrel Scrapper/Sawbones "They see me rollin...they hatin. They whining and sayin that I need some nerfin"
The Progenitor
And loads and loads of alts

01.16.2012 , 05:07 AM | #6
The thing with the Shadow is, having Consular as a base class, you are not going to be strictly a melee DPS. Consulars have always been marketed as more force-reliant than their Jedi Knight counterparts, and that's not going to be different whether you choose Shadow or Sage as your AC.

Most of our damaging skills are in the melee range, yes, but a lot of them are Force based. If you're looking for more melee moves from the Shadow I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. The only time you wont be spamming Double Strike as a melee move will be if you've run out of force (and use the basic melee strike), or you are high up in the Infiltration tree and be spamming Clairvoyant Strike instead.

If you can live with the mix of melee and Force, yes, Shadows are very viable as a DPS class (from my experience at least). Having a blast playing mine.
Server : Jekk'Jekk Tarr
Arithon - Shadow Consular
Leica - Gunslinger Smuggler

01.16.2012 , 05:59 AM | #7
the damage feels huge as infiltration, sometimes you will get some pretty sexy crits from your big abilities, shadow strike force breach and project.

the only problem i have is most groups ive been in ive been tanking even as infiltration because everyone is a friggin sentinel or something.