Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sith code only works for the absolute top of the society.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Sith code only works for the absolute top of the society.

Dutchpower
01.15.2012 , 07:18 PM | #1
Only the emperor can enjoy the "Through victory my chains are broken" part. Everyone else has to abide to their masters rule. Their chains are not as tight when they ascend in power but the rule of two means that each member of the Sith always has someone above them except the emperor himself.

So in reality their chains are never broken, the force never fully sets them free in the dark side of the force since the stronger you get the more enemies you get until you reach the absolute top. And if you remain weak you will be dominated or killed.

Kaspel
01.15.2012 , 07:28 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Dutchpower View Post
Only the emperor can enjoy the "Through victory my chains are broken" part. Everyone else has to abide to their masters rule. Their chains are not as tight when they ascend in power but the rule of two means that each member of the Sith always has someone above them except the emperor himself.

So in reality their chains are never broken, the force never fully sets them free in the dark side of the force since the stronger you get the more enemies you get until you reach the absolute top. And if you remain weak you will be dominated or killed.
It's not a perfect system, for sure.

Jedi Code ain't much better though.

Dutchpower
01.15.2012 , 07:32 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaspel View Post
It's not a perfect system, for sure.

Jedi Code ain't much better though.
I guess both codes are better then letting force sensitive people develop without any training.

Krusedullfaen
01.15.2012 , 07:35 PM | #4
One could argue that the Jedi are always chained, whereas the Sith at least have the option of breaking free, if they have the strength and will.

On the other hand, the majority of Jedi seem to be content with their ways and I can understand why actually. When it comes down to it, I'd rather make the sacrifices necessary to become Jedi than live with the constant stress of being Sith.

Besides, the Jedi code is misunderstood by many, it's not nearly as oppressive as it seems. It's not about repressing emotion but controlling it, rather than it controlling you as is the way of Sith.

As someone who strives to be as reasonable and objective as I possibly can be (I am only human, but I do try) I find a lt more sense in the Jedi code than the Sith code. The Sith are all about relatively short lived gratification whereas the Jedi as more about lasting serentiy, which to me sounds like the best option overall.

But, both sides are extremes, they both have flaws. Overall though I would say the Jedi code is actually much more liberating than the Sith if you take a moment to consider it. Is a Sith that constantly has to be on his guard really more free than the man who lives a life of serenity, not bothered by the restrictions put on his life?

AngelousWang
01.15.2012 , 08:17 PM | #5
Yes, and this is why Darth Bane fixed it with the rule of two.
CE VIP

areto
01.15.2012 , 08:36 PM | #6
I guess if you want an example of a truly free force user it would be that dark jedi from the bane books (I think he's in the last one), he's basically han solo with a lightsaber.

GreatKingBrad
01.16.2012 , 12:24 AM | #7
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

The "Through victory my chains are broken" actually makes some sense. Yes, you're a slave/servant/etc. to your master, but the whole goal is to kill your master. When you finally gain enough power, which the code tells you how to do, you can kill your master and "break your chains".
I'm a nice guy who does bad things.

OddballEasyEight
01.16.2012 , 01:23 AM | #8
Kinda like captialism... only the rich prosper...

but thats not the point.

The sith is all about personal prowess. If you prove yourself worthy you will climb the ranks and become more powerful (and more free).
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

JanosCorvinus
01.16.2012 , 03:26 AM | #9
Both the Jedi and the Sith Code are about freedom by Transcending the here and now, and the the petty wants and needs and fears that life brings.
Both seek to be one with the force just via dfferent means.
The Sith use raw emotion to drive them beyond what they could normally achieve, they stop thins and just do, and as they becomes more and more part of them, thier ego neeeding to control them weakens and thier chains are broken.
Just as the Death is the Jedi code refers to the death of the self and becoming one with the universe.

Enlightenment via either action or meditation, both the same goals.

It is the Orders themselves that becomes so involved with themselves that they both chain themselves down and fail to achieve this. Both Orders stangnate in doctrine twisted for political realities or self ambition. The Sith are so driven for power to control, but it power the last line of the code, is it the objective? No, nor is it even meaning power over others, but power over ones self.

The Sith Emperor is a prisioner to his own fear of death, he has failed the Sith Code.

Restepor
01.16.2012 , 05:53 AM | #10
Not really because a Sith's goal is to become the strongest thing that ever was. Your goal is to take out your master, not to stay under him till death.